Menu

Writing space in WWE 1

ByGrace3

Lately DD is not getting close to fitting in the sentence in WWE 1 in the space provided. She normally does the long one since we are not doing other handwriting right now. I require neatness, but her letters are still big. Is this a common issue with first graders and WWE or do we simply need to work harder at getting her print smaller? Today I just had her use the space from the first sentence to finish . . . not ideal but it worked. Are we alone? Suggestions?

Yes, I do think spacing is something some 1st graders struggle with, usually those who have some difficulties with fine motor. I also think it is very important to practice as it exercises sensory-fine motor planning in the brain. Ds used to struggle with this as well.

Sometimes reminders to plan ahead are enough to help. I usually verbally guide ds through it - "See how long that sentence is? Remember to write small enough to have enough space." etc.

If you have the Startwrite program, you could also type out the whole sentence in the same size font (WWE 1 is 48 IIRC) so that your dd can see how big the letters should be to fit in the space provided. We used that as an in-between step for ds. Eventually though, I do think it is best for the students to have to plan the spacing themselves, but some of them need to see it laid out first for awhile before they can visualize it.

I just had her use the space from the first sentence to finish . . . not ideal but it worked.

No, you are not alone in this dilemma and this :iagree: is what I have done. I have found that the more the child practices writing, and gets older, the better they are able to gauge spacing and size.

Just my 2 cents.

We used Startwrite to make pages in a line size that my son could work comfortably in. The WWE1 lines were huge, and he found it easier to write on smaller lines. I found it easier myself as well. I often couldn't fit his narration in the teacher lines, even though it was the length being asked for. It tired my hand out quickly to write in those huge lines, which made me think maybe the same was happening for my son. I was right.

We used Startwrite to make pages in a line size that my son could work comfortably in. The WWE1 lines were huge, and he found it easier to write on smaller lines. I found it easier myself as well. I often couldn't fit his narration in the teacher lines, even though it was the length being asked for. It tired my hand out quickly to write in those huge lines, which made me think maybe the same was happening for my son. I was right.

you know, I also struggle to fit my own handwriting into the space, I hate having to write so big... I never thought of that. Ugh, I like my nice workbook I have for WWE :tongue_smilie: I suppose I could try HWOT paper and see if that goes any better . . . her handwriting on it is so much better.

sorry to hijack, but does any body know if the HWOT font is available in the demo version? Thanks.

Yes, it's a full version until you close it (so keep it open and don't turn off or reboot your computer for several days so you can really give it a workout). After you close it, you can't use certain important letters anymore (like 'e').

And don't forget that HSBC gets you 25% off, and I think someone even got the 5.0 version with the discount off the current discounted price.

Yes, it's a full version until you close it (so keep it open and don't turn off or reboot your computer for several days so you can really give it a workout). After you close it, you can't use certain important letters anymore (like 'e').

And don't forget that HSBC gets you 25% off, and I think someone even got the 5.0 version with the discount off the current discounted price.

What is HSBC? And thank you :001_smile:

:iagree:Those spaces are HUGE. When I write her narrations down I only use the bottom line to the dotted line. I simply cannot write that big. Since my ds used WWE a little older, I only had him use the bottom portion of the writing space, as well.