Menu

New to Classical Education...

Guest ATSpencer

Guest ATSpencer

Hello!

I am new to Classical Education but have been using the Peace Hill Press curriculum for my First Grader. We are really enjoying it. As I read more about Classical education, I am trying to learn about the three repetitions of the same four-year pattern: Ancients, Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation, and Modern Times.

We are currently using Story of the World Vol. 1 for 1st Grade. I am confused about what we will use in 5th Grade when Ancients is repeated. What curriculum from Peace Hill Press do you recommend? I do know that Vol 1 is recommended for 5th grade as well, but are we to repeat the same material?

Thank so much for your input.

Peace Hill press doesn't have a middle-grade history curriculum on offer at this point, and most people would probably not recommend using SOTW1 for the main text in 5th grade.

If you read The Well-Trained Mind, you will find some recommendations for what to do with logic-stage history. If you are looking for a curriculum, I'd say that Pandia Press' History Odyssey is the best I've found, though it goes by civilization instead of chronologically as SOTW does.

While Peace Hill Press does not currently have a logic-stage history program, there are specific suggestions made on how to do logic-stage history in The Well-Trained Mind.

History Odyssey is a good choice for someone who would like a specific outline, but my kids found the reliance on the History Pockets books sort of boring, so we replaced a lot of those activities with something else. They have samples on their website, if you want to check them out.