Menu

iPod/iPhone Irritations.

So we gave our oldest an iPhone and our second an iPod. Within 2 weeks, both had hit the floor and shattered the screens through no fault of the boys. ARGGGGG!!!!! These are too expensive for that! So help me decide:

Option 1: replace devices with new ones

Option 2: return/eat cost and buy a laptop and a desktop CD/Mp3 player for both.

I have to make a decision today.

Were the original devices in a protective covering?

If not, I'd go with option 1 and invest in an Otterbox (or at minimum, some kind of protection that covered the top corners of the device also -not just the outer rim).

I'm really hard on my things. I break them often, even with protective coverings. It's my one gift in life, what can I say. So because I know me, and know that I'm the poster child for Murphy's Law, I'd probably go with option 1 either way. I'd be clear that this was my final replacement. (That's what my husband said to me last year when I went through three iPhones in the span of two seasons :blush:!)

I think you can get the screens fixed. Check with apple about repair. There are also probably local people who do it cheaper, but they may be harder to find. I'd also buy some heavy duty cases. I've heard of otterbox for indestructible electronics cases, maybe they have iphone ones as well.

I would make an appointment at the Apple store to have them looked at and get an estimate for the repairs. Sometimes if you are nice and they are feeling generous, they may give you a lower cost for the repairs or replace one or both of them for no charge. Just be completely honest about what happened.

What type of protective case did you have on the phones? We have had 4 iphones over the past 3 - 4 years and they have dropped several times and none have been broken. Be sure to get a case that has a bit of a lip that comes up higher than the glass on the front as well as harder plastic on the corners. This should protect them from most falls.

What is an Otterbox and where do I find them?

Oldest had a clip-on case he kept the phone in. The edge of it caught on the stupid drawer knobs in the kitchen, ripped it open and there went the phone on the tile floor.

Second fell asleep with the iPod on his top bunk with no case. It fell out during the night. Shattered on the cement floor.

Edited by Guest

What is an Otterbox and where do I find them?

Oldest had a clip-on case he kept the phone in. The edge of it caught on the stupid drawer knobs in the kitchen, ripped it open and there went the phone on the tile floor.

Second fell asleep with the iPod on his top bunk with no case. It fell out during the night. Shattered on the cement floor.

Best Buy and all the usual electronics stores should carry them. They are a little pricey but clearly worth the costs. I hope that Apple can help you out.

:grouphug:

Yes! They need an Otterbox! Get the one for the particular model but they look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7F0I6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005SUHQ3Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05SQFZH6G8431J7J0XTH

They come in various styles and colors. I would also recommend Apple Care Plus.

My oldest son shattered his screen. I found a local repair shop with a great reputation to replace it for $70. Before I had them do it I took it to Apple and the kind genius replaced it for free. It was only four weeks old, and I'm sure that mattered. I will return to the local repair shop if we ever need another repair, but we all have otterboxes for our iThings now. Get one for the iPod as well. They are relatively inexpensive through Amazon.

I also informed my kids that any more broken phones mean they get a junk drawer phone until they can pay for the repair or replacement.

I had them both replaced and got Apple Care plus for the iPhone. Total, it cost as much as the things themselves. Off to buy Otterboxes tomorrow. My dh and I told them they are not getting theses back until they have the covers.