Menu

karma or dishonesty? Ethical question

Karma or dishonesty  

1. 1. Karma or dishonesty

• dishonest
    • other

This winter I bought a snowboarding helmet for ds. The sign said 40% off but the clerk rang it wrong and I didn't notice until we left that I was charged full price of $100, instead of $60. We were headed up snowboarding at the time and I lost the receipt that day so I couldn't go back for a credit. I was in the same store a week later and they were indeed the correct helmet on sale, so it was a store error, not a merchandise mix up.

Fast forward.

Today, at the same store, I bought ds 4 new swim team jammers (special shorts they wear). The total should have been $80 (a very good price already) but she gave me and extra 40% off. Saving me almost the exact amount they messed up on before. I noticed the balance was lower than I expected but didn't really think too much about as we were in a hurry. It wasn't until I dropped the kids off later that I started thinking about the price and realized how much lower it was.

On one hand I feel like it is 'even'.

On the other, if I look at just this transaction alone, I feel like I should go back and let them know.

What do you say....Karma or dishonesty?

I voted neither because I don't go in for "karma", but I wouldn't accuse you of being dishonest if you don't intentionally return to the store to point out their recent error. Next time you're in the store, mention it. I believe at that point, they'll let it go ~ particularly if you mention as well that you were over-charged for the boarding helmet last winter. But in that vein, I'm wondering why you didn't at least mention the initial error to them, last winter. You said were you in the same store a mere week after the transaction. Even without the receipt, you should have at least mentioned the error to them, for future reference, imo.

I voted neither because I don't go in for "karma", but I wouldn't accuse you of being dishonest if you don't intentionally return to the store to point out their recent error. Next time you're in the store, mention it. I believe at that point, they'll let it go ~ particularly if you mention as well that you were over-charged for the boarding helmet last winter. But in that vein, I'm wondering why you didn't at least mention the initial error to them, last winter. You said were you in the same store a mere week after the transaction. Even without the receipt, you should have at least mentioned the error to them, for future reference, imo.

Actually I did. I let them know so they could correct it and make sure it was ringing up right for other customers. I work in retail so I am fairly conscientious about these types problems. They told me that some sales automatically ring up and some sales they have to manually enter. They are supposed to remember which are which (stupid business practice if you ask me). I think this is what happened today, the shorts rang up on sale, but then she also gave me the discount. They said to just bring in my receipt and they would adjust it :0) nice of them huh!

I need to make sure to pay better attention in the future, but we often leave a couple of hundred dollars at this store in a shopping trip. Most of their sales are percent off and they have both 'retail' price and 'our special discounted prices' on the tags. Sometimes the sales are off the retail price/sometimes off the store price. Unless I kept a list and added everything manually, it would be hard to know exactly what is ringing up correctly. I figure the confusing pricing must boost their profits!

I voted other. I don't see how you were intentionally dishonest, nor do I think you "had it coming to you". In fact the concept is a common excuse among thieves. The cashier for example who feels underpaid may simply "take what is due him" by "forgetting" to ring in a few sales. FTR I know this is not what you are doing.

I don't know what to advise you at this point. I would be reluctant to waste my time and gas to return to the store and correct their mistake. They obviously need a better system. I suppose it is only right to report the mistake somehow. I think I would give them a call. Most likely as someone else mentioned you'll get a "Merry Christmas". Or maybe: "We can fix that for you if you bring in your reciept" :D

I voted "other."

I don't think you're being dishonest, but I don't believe in karma either. And even if I did believe in karma, I don't think it applies to this case. :glare:

Anyway, I think that since they didn't fix the first purchase you were due this "discount." I think that I would probably call and speak with the manager/owner and tell them the whole story. They will most certainly agree that you're all even and then you won't have any lingering doubts, you know? ;)