Menu

Couple questions, re: independent/semi independent work

I search the forums, and found some good resources, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Since I'm a student, time is an extremely valuable resource. So I have found ways to make things more independent for DD. (almost 6, not reading independently yet).

Anyways, my mother will be moving in with us soon. I have plenty that I can leave behind for DD to do (math review worksheets, Hooked on Phonics French, French movies and audio books, mazes, phonic worksheets printed online, handwriting worksheets...) but I'm really hoping to find a way to involve my mom in DD's schoolwork. My father just passed away and I'm very, very concerned about my mom's emotional status. (Before anyone suggests it- I've already started looking for a grief counselor. And I'm going to be posting next to the general board for more ideas.. :tongue_smilie:) I think that being involved with DD will really help. The thing is, it can't be anything she actually needs to "teach". She couldn't teach math, or reading or anything like that. But I was thinking maybe an art program? Something with very clear directions, but still fun to do? I did think that getting a children's cookbook for them to work through would be fun too. Stuff like that....

Thanks!

I would have her tell your daughter stories about her life. Wonderful opportunity to learn about how things were different "back then." No dishwashers, no computers, no credit cards, early cars without seatbelts, living on a farm, etc. As your daughter gets older (probably much older), she can focus on modern history. What it was like to live through Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, WW2, and the space race.

I would call it Modern History or just History. To help your mom with the breadth of these stories, have her keep a little notebook about topics covered, and help her brainstorm other areas of interest. You could even find some nice related coloring pages that your daughter could color and add a caption to. Some of my best memories of my grandmother are of her stories (she is currently 102 and still telling them. Her grandfather lived with them and was a civil war veteran!)

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

What about read alouds?

Good idea... then I don't have to do them! :lol:

I would have her tell your daughter stories about her life. Wonderful opportunity to learn about how things were different "back then." No dishwashers, no computers, no credit cards, early cars without seatbelts, living on a farm, etc. As your daughter gets older (probably much older), she can focus on modern history. What it was like to live through Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, WW2, and the space race.

I would call it Modern History or just History. To help your mom with the breadth of these stories, have her keep a little notebook about topics covered, and help her brainstorm other areas of interest. You could even find some nice related coloring pages that your daughter could color and add a caption to. Some of my best memories of my grandmother are of her stories (she is currently 102 and still telling them. Her grandfather lived with them and was a civil war veteran!)

Ruth in NZ

Well, I guess this is a good idea... my mom is only 50 though, so she doesn't remember any of those things. Her memories don't really start until the last 60s, into the 70s. She lived in the city, and I've heard some of her memories... not sure I want DD learning about those things! :lol:

How about FIAR? I started this is with my kids this year and it has gone really well. Plus, lots of the books you use, she may remember reading to you (or to herself). The activity guide is pretty self-explanatory and she may really like going deeper in some areas. For one of the stories, The Patchwork Quilt, my mom taught my girls some simple sewing. There is cooking ideas, art ideas, so much. Your mom might like the independence she gets to do with it. She may enjoy (or not) doing a little research on her own to add to each lesson. Just a thought - good luck!