Menu

If we are doing narration twice a week in history

mlbuchina

do we also need to be doing WWE? Dd8 is not flourishing using WWE, and I thought that I would switch to Writing Strands, and just do the dictation from WWE (as I have the next level already). We stopped doing narrations at all for several months because all it did would cause hours of frustration and tears. I am wanting to bring it back in now, but I want to do it only with our history reading.

I think that it is a problem with her because it is getting harder, and she is actually having to think. WWE 1 was very simple for her, but now at the end of WWE 2, she is having problems. She hates the physical act of writing as well. She seems to be regressing!:001_huh: We have been doing WWE, FLL, and narration and dictation in history from the beginning. I don't know why she isn't better at it. There is no way that she will be able to do a one- to two-paragraph composition by the end of this (3rd grade) year.

I'm baffled as to what to do. I know I must be doing something wrong?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice, everything is very welcomed and appreciated.

I'm with Charlotte Mason on this and in my opinion, grammar-stage kids do NOT need a writing program IF:

- they are hearing books, reading books and narrating regularly

- they are regularly copying examples of high-quality text, like selections from their readings

It sounds like your dd is not having a ton of success either with writing or narration at this point. :-(

Even though you are trying to "protect" her from narration by including it only a couple of times a week, I might even suggest going the other way and doing it MORE regularly, for other school-related readings. More but shorter narrations might help take the pressure off.

By 8, she should be able to write down some of her own narrations, but if it's tough, just back up until she isn't frustrated. Write it for her - let her draw a picture or something. Remind her that her narration can be as short as she wants, as long as the key points are in there. Try building the narration around a structure, like "first... then... next... last" or something similar. You can help out, perhaps, by demonstrating what you consider a "good" narration. Read a chapter of something else and sum it up briefly in your own words.

Is her handwriting part of the problem, or is it generally good? Are you still using a handwriting program?

About how much copywork is she doing daily/weekly?

Also, I notice you are also working with a younger dd. Is she succeeding, generally? I am sure you know never EVER to compare them or their schoolwork, but it may be hard to avoid since they're so close in age. Is your dd8 perhaps, consciously or subconsciously, trying to work at the other dd's Grade 1 level???

Just a few random and tired thoughts from the front lines of mamahood... :-)

Even though you are trying to "protect" her from narration by including it only a couple of times a week, I might even suggest going the other way and doing it MORE regularly, for other school-related readings. More but shorter narrations might help take the pressure off.

:iagree: totally. Narrate regularly - about 3x a day from different sources. Do copywork and dictation from those same sources. Eventually she will be able to start writing some of her narrations down. But I wouldn't try to direct her narrations too much. Just let her tell everything she can tell you about the reading and allow her to really develop the skill of telling the story.

All the best.