Menu

How much do you tip at a restaurant?

How much would you tip on a $25 ($22.50 pre-tax) bill?  

1. 1. How much would you tip on a $25 ($22.50 pre-tax) bill?

• Less than $1
    • $1 - $1.99
    • $2 - $2.99
    • $3 - $3.99
    • $4 - $4.99
    • $5 - $5.99
    • $6 - $6.99
    • $7 - $7.99
    • $8 or more
    • Other.

I tip 20% as a standard. If the service is poor, the tip amount goes down gradually based on the continually poor service.

If it is a buffet and the server is only bringing a drink, I tip less - unless that server is attentive and does refills, brings extra napkins without us asking, helps cleans up, or runs and gets something. If they are doing more than just bringing a drink I will tip 20 percent. Otherwise it is a dollar or two.

It depends on what state I am in.

Washington pays their servers min wage, so here I tip in the 15% range.

Oregon does not, so I tip 20%.

I tend to tip higher on a small bill, if we were in the restaurant for a long time...ie happy hour, or listening to a live band while eating.

I absolutely adjust my tip according to the quality of service, especially in Washington where I know they are paid a bit more.

I don't tip. I am Australian, I live in a country where staff are paid in restaurants. I don't think many Australian's tip.

When our restaurant had British or Australian customers come in, servers would bribe the hostesses to not seat them at their station. You just knew that you were going to end up losing money on the table. Servers have to "tip out" to the busboys/hostess/bar staff. Depending on the restaurant, it's between 2 and 4%. So if I had a $50 table, I would have to pay $3 to tip out, whether or not I was tipped by the customer. Servers here really count on those tips.

$22.50 x .10 = 2.25 x 2= 4.50, round up to $5.

That's how I tip. If there are other factors (holiday, super fantastic service), I will tack on $5 or $10 more.

Working as a server made me super aware of how much time I am at a table. Servers count on a certain number of seatings a night. If you are at a table for 3 hours, you have likely cost your server at least 1 seating, if not 2. I am especially generous in those cases.

Always at least 20%, sometimes more, even for our local buffet brunch. I have a friend who argues that the servers at this particular buffet don't need more than 10% or so "because it's just a buffet; they aren't doing anything," but that's utter crap. Just because they don't take your order doesn't mean they aren't preparing (and in when we go out with others, probably splitting) your bill; just because they aren't carrying you your meal doesn't mean they aren't constanstly checking on you, clearing your plates, bringing/refilling your drinks, etc., etc. If you pay attention, they are doing plenty enough to warrant the same 20% I give any other server. Now I realize this might not apply to all buffet-type situations, and I'd certainly consider leaving less for one of those big buffet places where you never really see a server (I just can't remember the last time I went to a place like that). But our local place is awesome, and so are the servers! :D Oh, I also have to bring extra cash to tip "omelet dude." There's a guy that makes fresh, to-order omelets at the buffet, too. I always tip him a couple of bucks.

I will also tip more than I would have if I'm eating with friends and they only leave 10-15%. And I am obvious about it, too. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out (and I've been there plenty). We stay home if the cost of the entire meal--which includes paying for the service--isn't in the budget. I have friends who can afford a few extra bucks to tip 20% but just don't want to. These are usually the same friends who have never worked in a restaurant. :glare: I worked for years as a waitress in local restaurants. I made $2.13 per hour, so I needed every tip I got, and had to put up with outright rudeness, vulgarity, and being talked to like I was scum...and that would be on a good night. And one of the restaurants I worked at was the nicest, most upscale place for miles around. A lot of people just tipped $1 per person at the table. Many didn't bother figuring out a percentage. I got very good at handling negativity under pressure. I worked hard, was good at what I did, and never got any complaints for my service. Yes, there were a lot of good customers--folks who, no matter wether they tipped well or not, were friendly or at least respectful. These folks were always the respite in your evening! But after several years, those relatively few folks who at least treated you like you were a fellow human being just didn't outweigh the rest. I have never experienced being treated like I was treated as a server, and I've worked a lot of different service jobs. What is it about bringing someone their meal that automatically puts you beneath them? I'll never understand.

So yeah, tip at least 20%, more if I can or think I should.

we had a restraunt here that was completely self serve buffet. Silverware, plates, everything accept your drink. The server brought your first drink, then you refilled it on your own! The napkins.were on the table, you cleared your own table. We did not tip.

Another resturant, the waitress brings you clean plates and your drink. If you order a.steak they bring it to you, but they don't take the order. They do clear the table and refill drinks. We tip lower there than at a full service restaurant.

My standard tip for standard service is 20%. I will tip more if my bill is super low, or if we're sharing or ordering appetizers, if the kids made a mess, if we take a long time, if the server was especially good, if ti is a holiday, etc. I will tip as low as 15% if the service wasn't very good. I only once went below 15%, but the service was beyond terrible. I've tipped 50% in exceptional circumstances (cheap breakfast place where we occupied a table for awhile and the waitress was super nice about it)

My minimum tip is $1-2/person at the table, including babies who don't order a meal. So for my family of 5, I tip at least $5, even if the cost of the tab is below $25.

i know the pre-tax/post-tax discussion happened here in greater Phoenix because depending on what part of the city you're in, the sales tax is different (speaking of the whole area: Phoenix, Scottsdale, Anthem, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, etc).

So, if you're a server at the Chilis in Scottsdale serving a burger and coke to someone, you'd make more in tips than a server in Phoenix serving the exact same food at the exact same menu price because the sales tax is higher. Or, we'd be expected to tip more on one side of the street than the other because of boundaries.