Menu

Low Carb Snacks

My dd loves black olives, hearts of palm, almonds, all sorts of cheeses, small amount of raw carrots, celery, cold meats (grilled chicken or lamb) Greek yogurt (some have as little as 7 carbs for a whole cup). What's her free Carb ratio? If she can have ~ 7 (1/4 cup frozen blueberries is also a hit).

Broil pepperoni slices for 2 minutes. These keep well in a plastic container for a week. They never last that long in my home though.

I think she would like that. I have been buying sandwich pepperoni at the deli. She likes pepperoni sandwiches for lunch.

Are any fruits low carb? I think it was Strawberries we had the other night that didn't seem to be high in carbs.

I was told that grapes were low carb by a friend on a low carb diet.

My dh (a type I diabetic) likes to eat cottage cheese before he goes to bed. He seasons it sometimes with lots of different things, salt & pepper, tomatoes, salsa, sometimes he even puts hot sauce in it.

One thing I dearly miss going low-carb is chips and salsa or guacamole. A friend recommended frying bacon until it's crispy and dipping it in guacamole instead of tortilla chips. It's delicious!!!!

We do a lot of avocados, nuts, olives, "fried pepperonis" and such.

Also, if you want an occasional sweet treat that's still low in carbs, here's a recipe I like. It uses coconut oil, which has many health benefits. I counted it up once and the *entire* batch only has about 15grams of carbs. But you might want to double check my math, because I didn't include carb counts for the extracts (they weren't listed on the bottle). Anyway, here it is:

COCONUT TREATS

1/2 c coconut oil, softened

2 Tbsp flax seeds (optional)

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp almond extract

1/4 tsp liquid stevia (not sure what the corresponding amount of powder would be)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/4 c coconut flakes (unsweetened)

Grind the flax seeds, if using. Combine all ingredients and press into the bottom of a small baking dish or a plastic food storage container. Refrigerate for a few hours, then cut into small squares.

Are any fruits low carb? I think it was Strawberries we had the other night that didn't seem to be high in carbs.

Berries in general are pretty low in carbs. We eat a lot of blackberries (my personal favorite), blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cherries.

One thing I dearly miss going low-carb is chips and salsa or guacamole. A friend recommended frying bacon until it's crispy and dipping it in guacamole instead of tortilla chips. It's delicious!!!!

That sounds good. I think I am the only one in the house that likes guacamole, more for me.

deviled eggs, sliced deli meats, pork rinds (don't knock em until you have tried them, they are tasty!), spoon of natural peanut butter (no sugar in it), nuts, sugar free jello, veggies cut up and dip (make your own to control carbs/sugar, some of the cheese spreads are good too)

I make cheese chips. You put a piece of parchment paper on a plate. Put a small mound of shredded cheddar cheese on the plate. Microwave about 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crispy. You have to play around with this, it depends on the amount of cheese and your microwave. These are so awesome. It is like a cheesy crisp cracker/chip thing. They are a tad on the salty side because cheese is salty. My kids love these.

I also love this stuff called Fage. I find it in the health food section of my local grocery store. They have some plain versions (I buy the full fat one, very tasty). I mix in some Stevia (or you could use Splenda) and some raspberries (low carb). It is soooo delicious.

And I have gotten some good ideas from this site below:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

I should be better about keeping deviled eggs around. I only seem to make them when we go to cookouts.

What is Fage?

Just thought of a couple others. Sorry about another post

There is a SmartChoice Peanut Butter I really like made with flax oil. It is high in fiber and lower in carb than most. I like that on celery sticks.

I usually pair fruit with something. Like apples and peanut butter. Or mixed berries and cheese or yogurt. Even whipping cream has enough protein to help "dilute" the carb rush.

Right now her ratios are

B 1:12

L 1:10

D 1:10

Snack 1:16

I don't give her snacks over 10 carbs. I don't really know what I am supposed to be doing.

When in doubt, it's better to treat a high than have a low. I think if you keep it to less than 7 carbs for a snack, you may be able to get away with not giving a shot. Honestly, you will find you need to experiment a little. You will begin to learn what foods send her higher than others.

Here's a good link to add to your favorites.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

And a great bk to have!

http://www.amazon.com/Bowes-Churchs-Values-Portions-Commonly/dp/0397554354

Broil pepperoni slices for 2 minutes. These keep well in a plastic container for a week. They never last that long in my home though.

We make pepperoni chips too but we do them in the microwave. Just put a double layer of paper towel on your plate, put a layer of pepperoni, cover with another paper towel and cook on high for 1 minute. This cooks the grease out and makes them like chips. We sometimes mix sour cream and salsa for a dip.

When in doubt, it's better to treat a high than have a low. I think if you keep it to less than 7 carbs for a snack, you may be able to get away with not giving a shot. Honestly, you will find you need to experiment a little. You will begin to learn what foods send her higher than others.

Here's a good link to add to your favorites.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

And a great bk to have!

http://www.amazon.com/Bowes-Churchs-Values-Portions-Commonly/dp/0397554354

Thanks! I will look into both of them.

low carb quesadillas using an 8 or less net carb Flatout http://www.flatoutbread.com/movie.html, or Joseph's Middle East Bakery products http://www.josephsmiddleeastbakery.com/ cut in half with two ounces of cheese & a tablespoon of homemade salsa.

1/2 cup of any of the following:

raspberries 7 carbs, 4.2 grams of fiber, 2.8 net grams of fiber

blackberries 9.2 grams of carbs, 3.6 grams of fiber, 5.6 net carbs

strawberries 5.2 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, 3.2 net carbs

melon balls 1 cup, 8 grams of carbs, .07 grams of fiber, 7.3 net carbs

Sugar free cocoa served hot in the winter & made hot, cooled & served over ice in the summer

flavored cream cheese on celery--we flavor with garlic or chives & a pinch of salt.

Spring rolls:

leaf lettuce of choice

1/2 cup of favorite shredded: we use green & red cabbage, a pinch of of carrot for color & diced chicken.

Tear a leaf, wash & pat dry.

on lower half of lettuce leaf, place tuna or salmon & veggies & top with an ounce of cheese & a tablespoon or so of favorite regular, full fat, but low carb dressing. Roll the fold up the bottom half midway, then fold in the left & right sides, then continue to roll the wrap up.

You can fill the wrap with fajita fixings, tuna salad, & any savory sandwich filling. We even do tacos wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Low carb pizza:

Use a low carb flat bread or Flat Out. Brush with olive oil & place under broiler until just crisp. top with a table spoon of Muir Glen puree flavored with a 1/4 tsp of garlic & 1/4 tsp of basil & other Italian spices. Top with a couple ounces of cheese & veggies to just cover. place back under broiler until cheese melts. Cut in 1/2. Serves 2. Depending on how many veggies you add, 1/2 of pizza is about 10 total carbs--4 for the flat bread & up to 6 for the sauce & veggies. Those who eat meat & dairy could omit the veggies & add 1/2 cup of meat.

My daughter is on a prescribed low-carb, high protein diet with about 45-60 net grams of carbs per day, and we found tons of recipes we all can eat in the following books:

Any titles by Dana Carpender

Any titles by George Stella

The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough (OP)

Any titles by

Also invest in a carb counter. We own a huge volume & I went through it & made a list by category of every food with a net carb count of 15 or less that Storm likes to eat. You'd be surprised how sweet a treat like a graham cracker tastes after not having one for a long time. You probably want to detox your dd from sweets & processed carbs with physician approval. This is what Storm had to do. She could have carbs, but they were all from non-grain complex vegetables for 14 straight days. We then added in a new carb source each week from fruits and higher carb vegetables like tomatoes (really a fruit--lol).

We now enjoy sweet potato baked fries as a weekly treat along with most fruit, but take carb count into consideration. Like having 1/2 an apple & a slice of cheese, or 1/2 cup of strawberries and Greek yogurt with a packet of Stevia to sweeten. We also added in an ounce of nuts once or twice a day for a quick snack.

Storm also learned how to manage junk food, and can have one 100 calorie mini bag of certain snacks that have 9 grams of carbs or less per serving. She also loves protein shakes with a bit of frozen fruit, ice, protein powder & Stevia!