Menu

History for a child that loves lapbooks?

robsiew

So, my older son is doing History Odyssey this year and loves it. Next year my dd9 will be 5th grade and I know that curriculum will not go well with her. She absolutely LOVES lapbooks which we've been doing for science. I'd like to do something similar to that for history, but I really need something open and go. I work part time so I don't have a lot of time to piece things together.

She will be studying the Ancients next year. I was thinking of having her work through History pockets (not sure exactly what they have or if they have enough to keep her busy all year) and have her read MOH. Does this sound like enough or that it would work? Have you run across any great books/sites with history lapbooks already developed? I'd love to get some things to look at.

Thanks!

We did Story of the World 1 (Ancients) last year and worked through the Ancient Civilizations History Pockets + living books and craft projects instead of the Activity Guide. The History Pockets got a tad monotonous after awhile.. i.e. paper dolls for each culture.. my dd dislikes coloring and does not play with paper dolls. ETA: We did like the HP overall though.

Anyway, I don't know much about MOH but there is a pre made lapbbok that goes with SOTW1. You can find it here. http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/2010/04/story-of-world-lapbook-for-volume-one.html

and here is a you tube video showing a completed one with someone explaining all the cool things. here. http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2010/06/story-of-world-volume-1-free-lapbook.html

Here is a chart matching up chapters of SOTW1 and MOH and this site has other good stuff on history. http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotwmoh.htm

Hope that helps! Lori

Edited by tomandlorih
to add a comment about HP

You might want to look at the TOG lapbooks. We haven't done Y1, but have used Y2 and now Y3. My UG students listen to SOTW so it might go with MOH, you'd have to look at the list of items covered. (We only plan two units of lapbooks a year otherwise it is to much cut and paste and more than I'm willing to spend too. ;)) We tried History Pockets both Ancient Civilizations and the seperate Egypt, Rome, etc., they were a bomb here and never got finished.

If you are planning to use MOH, Bright Ideas Press has lapbooks specifically designed to go with MOH.

https://www.brightideaspress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_46_47&products_id=190&zenid=cc65189e31778ad648ec6a80a5f1ae57 is where I found them. I like using free things but this would be more open and go for you.

ETA oops. I see they have already been suggested.

MOH has lapbooks, narrative work pages, memory cards too. I like the Knowledge Quest Maps better, but that is the only that we did not use. I even have the coloring sheets.

I rounded up everything and comb bound with extra card stock for the lap booking elements. Each quarter is its own entity. I added extra reading plans in the back of the book to enrich with SOTW, SOM, CHOW, etc. It is worth the work. Get started now though!

Oh, I will check out those MOH lapbooks! Thanks! That would be so easy! Hi Tahara! Sorry I haven't been around much... I've taken on a part time job and my time is very limited in front of the computer! I have to update the blog sometime... last entry was in Sept! Uggggg!

Thanks again everybody for these great ideas! I have to get used to the idea that my second child is NOT like my first! And #3 is going to break the mold yet again! That's the beauty of hsing though! :001_smile: