Menu

Is it allowed (signature-wise)...

If I want to shamelessly promote some of my posts, would it be acceptable to put links to those posts specifically (not entire threads) in my signature? I am not sure whether it is considered "problematic" to reference to the boards in signatures? I can see why it would be problematic, for example, if somebody wanted to portray another one in a bad light or link to a controversy, but if it is only to a few of my own posts, in isolation from the threads themselves, which do not quote anyone, do not reference or allude to any member and which are not related to any controversies - sort of, the "clearest" messages you can imagine, like entirely independent little articles - would it be okay?

Yes, I know it may be viewed as vain and all of that, attracting attention to oneself and maybe not "nice", but I would really like to promote my attitudes on several things (e.g. a post I have on grade inflation and what I think are reasonable standards, etc.). At least for a little while.

What says the Hive? :D

...but if it is only to a few of my own posts, in isolation from the threads themselves, which do not quote anyone, do not reference or allude to any member and which are not related to any controversies - sort of, the "clearest" messages you can imagine, like entirely independent little articles - would it be okay?

...I would really like to promote my attitudes on several things (e.g. a post I have on grade inflation and what I think are reasonable standards, etc.)

I think it's the same as posting a blog link. I don't see that it violates board rules, so why not? :D

P.S. I think your avatar is hilarious! You'd be so fun for me to know IRL.

P.S. I think your avatar is hilarious!

Thanks!

Somebody mentioned to me that they saw T-shirts like this and that it reminded them of me. So I googled that, and really, there are T-shirts. I thought it was hilarious and I managed to figure out how to turn it into my avatar.

I still worry a little that people might take it too seriously :lol:, since for some reason people take me awfully seriously even though half of what I write has a tongue in cheeck touch to it, but I decided I would wear that avatar for my personal joy for a few days (or weeks, LOL).

Personally, I'd rather you start a blog addressing "hot topics". :D

And spend even more time online than I do now?! :w00t:

I am exaggerating already, LOL. Really exaggerating. Every time when I start "working" on the computer I end up here. This place is seriously addictive.

Thanks everyone. I guess I should conclude meanwhile that it is okay unless moderators say differently.

I still worry a little that people might take it too seriously :lol:, since for some reason people take me awfully seriously even though half of what I write has a tongue in cheeck touch to it...

See, to me you just come across as a very confident person who tries *very* hard to communicate that tongue-in-cheekness, so as not to be misunderstood. :D I love your humour.

Keep in mind that one is only allowed so much space for one's siggy. I have to keep my stigisms short so that I can link both my social group and my blog.

Do you ever look at the HTML code for the siggie, Chuckie? I have and it seems like every time I edit, there's extra code in there which makes the signature "longer" than it really is. I go in and delete that extra code which helps free up more space.

• 1 month later...
I don't see where it is a violation of the board rules.

Keep in mind that one is only allowed so much space for one's siggy. I have to keep my stigisms short so that I can link both my social group and my blog.

I love your signatures. We are BIG Top Gear fans here, even the kids.