Menu

Apparently my dd likes workbooks.

mo2

Who would've thought? All this time I've spent trying NOT to re-create public school at home, and turns out the girl would prefer to just do a workbook and get it over with. So, what are your favorite *secular* workbooks/workbook-based curricula? :bigear: Any subject!

Lol - Autumn has spent so much time in brick and mortar school that she sincerely prefers textbooks and worktexts.

We have promoted this January and completely rearranged our homeschooling method to switch back to textbooks and workbooks/worktexts.

I can't advise on secular workbooks, although we have used several wonderful secular TEXTbooks. We are using primarily Seton this school year, and those aren't secular :001_smile:.

My kids love the Evan-Moor workbooks. Ds's favorite right now is probably the "Read and Understand Science" series. You can get them through Amazon, or you can access most of them through teacherfilebox.com (paid subscription, but you can get a discount through the HSBC.)

I am not sure how old your dc is but my 6 y/o dd is absolutely loving the Mary Pecci series of Super Seat work. They are not color or anything, but go figure, my kid who isn't "big" on school begs for these. Both of my girls actually really like ETC also. I think they like the independence of these workbooks.

My oldest DD is like this, too- go figure! I loathed workbooks growing up, feeling like they were nothing but "busywork". However, my mom thinks that it probably wasn't the format so much as the assigned work being too easy.

Some of the workbooks DD has liked:

EPS' The Paragraph Book series (writing, some applied grammar & mechanics)

Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing series (proofreading to find grammar, spelling, and mechanics errors)

Scholastic's No Boring Practice, Please! series (spelling, grammar, mechanics, etc.)

Mindware's Multiplication Mosaics, Division Designs, etc. series

Curriculum Associates Focus On reading comprehension series (this is going OOP so it may be hard to find)

logic puzzles from Critical Thinking Press, Prufrock Press, and Mindware

My oldest DD is like this, too- go figure! I loathed workbooks growing up, feeling like they were nothing but "busywork". However, my mom thinks that it probably wasn't the format so much as the assigned work being too easy.

Some of the workbooks DD has liked:

EPS' The Paragraph Book series (writing, some applied grammar & mechanics)

Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing series (proofreading to find grammar, spelling, and mechanics errors)

Scholastic's No Boring Practice, Please! series (spelling, grammar, mechanics, etc.)

Mindware's Multiplication Mosaics, Division Designs, etc. series

Curriculum Associates Focus On reading comprehension series (this is going OOP so it may be hard to find)

logic puzzles from Critical Thinking Press, Prufrock Press, and Mindware

Great list, thank you!

DS loves workbooks. We are doing ETC, Liberty Math K, Lollipop Logic, and D'Nealian K right now.

DD yeah, not so much. She is anti workbook to the point that if she sees Rod and Staff ABout 3, she starts to cry and then hides under her bed. I am moving her over to a CM style (winter promise) starting in two weeks...

Winning with Writing, Math Mammoth, and The Complete Book of United States History. I add supplemental books to the history to flesh it out, but if your child is the "get 'er done" type, it's solid for 3rd-4th grade. We haven't started it just yet, but The Complete Book of Maps and Geography looks promising.

Winning with Writing, Math Mammoth, and The Complete Book of United States History. I add supplemental books to the history to flesh it out, but if your child is the "get 'er done" type, it's solid for 3rd-4th grade. We haven't started it just yet, but The Complete Book of Maps and Geography looks promising.

We're using the Complete Book of Maps and Geography right now (4th grade). She likes it, and it is solid. The beginning was pretty easy, but it's getting more challenging as we go along. I haven't looked at the history ones yet.

I second the recommendation of TeacherFileBox, which is 30% off right now at Homeschool Buyers' Co-op. If she likes workbooks, this site is the ultimate! You can log on to TeacherFileBox and then most (not all!) of the ePages at the Evan-Moor site are printable as well.

I don't know how old your dd is, but for my dd6, we are using Evan-Moor Daily Word Problems (math), A Word a Day (Grade 3, she hated the Grade 1 words), Beginning Geography, Daily Science and more.

These are VERY school-at-home feeling, and I like to balance them with other non-schooly programs. My dd likes workbooks also, but I force her to do the other stuff as well - like SOTW reading/narration etc.