Menu

Literature Study Guides ~ any insight appreciated!!

mommagruber

I am looking at the different literature guides available and would love to hear from some of you that have used them. I am currently looking at Literature in Teaching ( L-I-T Guides) ; Total Language Plus ; and Progeny Press ~ these are what I have looked at, but would also love to hear any additional ones you have used and loved (or not loved). Will be for using these for ds 7th, dd 6th and ds 3rd ~ we use Rod & Staff English, but not reading. TIA!

I like the Teacher Created Resources Literature Guides for fun activities. I prefer Progeny Press for deep thinking, writing and analysis. Also, PP covers literary terms very well.

A twist on lit studies would be using movies. I recently reviewed Z-Guides to the Movies from Zeezok Publishing. They are lit guides to go with movies. I think it would be fun to do a movie and the movie guide after reading the book.

We currently use Blackbird and Company guides.

http://www.blackbirdandcompany.com/

I love how they are laid out, and I love the questions that go beyond mere comprehension--though those are there as well.

I've used Total Language Plus before and felt that it was too much. The guides seem to be set up to cover all of language arts. And in a way that didn't work for me. I felt that I was throwing too much away and not keeping enough to justify the cost of the guides. I have used some of their focus guides and loved them though.

I love how they are laid out, and I love the questions that go beyond mere comprehension--though those are there as well.

I've used Total Language Plus before and felt that it was too much. The guides seem to be set up to cover all of language arts. And in a way that didn't work for me. I felt that I was throwing too much away and not keeping enough to justify the cost of the guides. I have used some of their focus guides and loved them though.

Wow--These look so good. I just ordered one for my third grader. My book report type of writing that I planned for this year didn't work out well. The Blackbird and Company literature guides look much better.

Thanks for mentioning this!

My 7th grader is having a good time with LL7. I like how you can enjoy the book with out having to stop often and over analyze. It's a gentle intro to lit analysis.

Thanks to pp who mention Blackbird & Co., I forgot I wanted to give those a try (for 10yo)! :001_smile:

Thanks, just ordered one of these; they look very good.

Have you seen or heard anything about their Intro to Composition program? I would be interested in finding out more but they have no samples. It sounds good, though.

Lisa