Menu

You know what drives me crazy?

You all should have been here last night when I was trying to explain the difference between "pin" and "pen" to hubby and his friend! They just couldn't hear it.

Where in the south are you?

Where dh is from it is always called an "ink pen" to differentiate.

Where in the south are you?

:lol: Missouri. Whether or not that is in the south seems to be a subject of debate. I vote no. :lol:

Where dh is from it is always called an "ink pen" to differentiate.

That reminds of me of when I hear people talk about "underarm deoderant." I always wonder: What other kinds of deoderant do they use?

When people spell "lose" as "loose". The two words have COMPLETELY different meanings!

Uhh....that is all. :rant:

Me too. Drives me out. of. my. mind.

I've gotten to the point where I refuse to open those threads if I can help it. I can understand one typo, but oftentimes, the person says "loose" repeatedly all in one post. I can't, just can't, read a post like that. :glare:

Mixing up loose and lose drives me batty as well. I read a post here (on another forum) just a few minutes ago with that mistake. :001_huh: I can barely read the Sparkpeople forums due to this very common error. Everyone there posts about how they want to "loose" a few pounds. :banghead:

I hate "ain't.

And ending sentences with "at". "Where do we have to go at?" :thumbdown:

I'm such a stickler about not ending my sentences with a preposition. If I have to make an extra long sentence or word it crazy to avoid doing so, I will. It's just my thing. When I read novels and the author ends sentences with a preposition, I notice each and every one.

Doctors use the word "trialed" ALL THE TIME.

Sheesh! I've never heard it - maybe it's regional. Why not say that "we will run a trial of drug X" or "the trial of drug X" :glare:

I'll have to ask dh if he hears/uses it (he's a physician). My motto is: why make up a word when there are perfectly acceptable words already in existence to communicate the information :D

Edited by CynthiaOK

I loathe "impact" as a verb.

:iagree:

Also "workout". It's a noun. You are not going to workout at the gym, you are going to work out--or preferably exercise--which is a word you can use for both noun and verb without any thinking required. After that you will have hopefully had a good workout.

OK, I just found myself using the word "texted". That is such a common usage today, but I wonder, in light of our high standards on this board, whether that word should be banned from my vocabulary?;) (especially since I have problems with the word "trialed")

text me

she texted me all day

he was texting while driving

Is there a rule about making a noun into a verb??? I'm trying to be consistent here :D

OK, I just found myself using the word "texted". That is such a common usage today, but I wonder, in light of our high standards on this board, whether that word should be banned from my vocabulary?;) (especially since I have problems with the word "trialed")

text me

she texted me all day

he was texting while driving

Is there a rule about making a noun into a verb??? I'm trying to be consistent here :D

I'm okay with texted. It's not technically correct, but it would be awkward to have to say "She sent me text messages all day.". It replaces four words, and everyone knows what you meant.

Just don't make a noun that is one word (workout) into a verb without separating it into two words (work out). It's not difficult or awkward to use that space key.

As long as you don't do that, you are just fine in my book. :thumbup1:

It drives me crazy when I hear someone (argh!! MY kids...) say they 'want these ones'
:blushing: I have to admit to saying this one myself on occasion. It was so prolific were I grew up that it sounds natural, even though I'm sure my English Major mom never said it. DH calls me on it every so often, because he hates it, too.

A local dialect leaves the 't' out of ' mountain,' and often the middle 'n,' too. It's popular to spend the weekend ” up in the mou-ins.” I've often wondered where that 't' went until I heard a young lady at church talking about how they were snow-mobiling up in the ” mou-ins,” and something told her to stop, and she checked, and she was about to go over the ” clift.”

Ok, then.:rolleyes:

Edited by Maus
Can't type on my phone. Could it please not try to correct me?

:blushing: I have to admit to saying this one myself on occasion. It was so prolific were I grew up that it sounds natural, even though I'm sure my English Major mom never said it. DH calls me on it every so often, because he hates it, too.

A local dialect leaves the 't' out of ' mountain,' and often the middle 'n,' too. It's popular to spend the weekend †up in the mou-ins.†I've often wondered where that 't' went until I heard a young lady at church talking about how they were snow-mobiling up in the †mou-ins,†and something told her to stop, and she checked, and she was about to go over the †clift.â€

Ok, then.:rolleyes:

LOL :lol::lol: