Menu

Logic... help please!

Mynyel

OK I (erm we) tried Memoria Press Traditional Logic.. both dd and I were :blink:.

So I have Critical Thinking Level 1 (by The Critical Thinking Co.). We went through Lesson one just fine. Lesson 2 hit with a vengeance. I want to like it but I am either missing something or it just is *NOT* explained well.

They are in the "If P then Q" and so on, using the arrows and ~. I don't get it. If I don't get it how am I supposed to teach it?

Can someone either help me out here (even through pm!) or please, please recommend a logic program that had very, very, very small steps. I wasn't taught logic in school. I think it is important for good thinking skills, but I just can't wrap my head around it!

This is a VERY inexpensive Catholic on line class, but you certainly don't have to be Catholic to take it and I don't know if being Catholic pops up in the samples. You might want to check it out. The class starts on Monday! (tomorrow!) Maybe you can still sign up. My kids took logic through these folks and it was fun! Every Monday you get a lesson, you work on it anytime you want during the week. After the lesson there is a quiz. It can be totally self-teaching. The guy who wrote the lessons does an excellent job of explaining things to kids. If you have a question about something you can just ask him and he'll tell you! Anyway, here is the address:http://lphrc.net/courses.html#Logic

We're also moving through the Critical Thinking book VERY slowly! I didn't have logic training either, but fortunately, I do some computer programming, so if/then isn't unfamiliar territory for me. However, more days than not, it kicks my booty and we just put it away for the day. There is NO WAY that we will finish the first book this year, let alone Book 2 as SWB suggests.

I know none of that answers your original questions, but here is our plan for next year since DD is only in 6th grade this year. I think we'll give Classical Academic Press's Logic sequence a try. We really like their Latin. They have a set of DVD's and the sample chapters have a sequence from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (the witch burning scene) as an example of faulty logic. I'm sold! I'm also :bigear: for any other suggestions.

Good Luck!

Well, if you can swing it financially, I'm pretty sure Memoria Press has an online class for logic as part of their academy. I wish I lived near you. I loved logic in high school and college (I seriously considered a philosophy major at one point) and I'd be happy to teach it to her!