Menu

cool science/garden project + a question

My kids and I are going to start vermicomposting - worm composting. Found a great diy site so it won't cost us much to start it up. Thought others might be interested in the site. http://www.diynatural.com/vermicomposting-worm-farm-diy-easy-and-frugal/

There is also a great, cheap diy kitchen compost bucket that we are going to try.

So, anyone ever done worm composting? Any tips or tricks you can share?

Bump?

We did this today. Target has some 18 gallon containers on sale for 4.50. The boys had a great time drilling to holes. Hoping it all works. So far, it's definitely been a great science experiment. Power tools and dirt! What could be better?

I would like to do this too, but a question! Where did you get your worms?:tongue_smilie:

I'm trying another trick I read - damp cardboard put over your garden at night. We put a few sheets out on some dirt patches - not the raised beds, but not much either. Supposedly, the worms are attracted to it and we can gather some tomorrow morning. Will let you know. In the meantime, we just started with some that we dug up from our yard. If we can't get enough, I'm gonna check for some local bait shops.

I think you can get them at some pet shops too (they're sold as live food). If you're buying them the kind you want are called "red wigglers". (I got mine from my mom's worm bin.) One fun thing to do is put about equal amounts of worm and food/paper garbage in a transparent container and observe. At those proportions they take care of business pretty quickly. My kids have a good time feeding their "homework" to the worms and then saying, "But teacher, my worms ate my homework!" and giggling uncontrollably. (They're not allowed to do that until I've checked their work of course. :D)

I think you can get them at some pet shops too (they're sold as live food). If you're buying them the kind you want are called "red wigglers". (I got mine from my mom's worm bin.) One fun thing to do is put about equal amounts of worm and food/paper garbage in a transparent container and observe. At those proportions they take care of business pretty quickly. My kids have a good time feeding their "homework" to the worms and then saying, "But teacher, my worms ate my homework!" and giggling uncontrollably. (They're not allowed to do that until I've checked their work of course. :D)

What a great idea! My kids will get a kick out of that.

We have been doing this for years. You will need red wrigglers as they are the best IMO. I have ordered worms from various places, so if order online just PM the name and I can tell you if they were good or bad. We have outdoor worm bins and indoor worm bins. Call your local recycling center and see if they sell them. Ours sells very nice ones for cheap. Are you planning on harvesting the liquid gold? I harvest ours and sell it to neighbors and friends.

We have been doing this for years. You will need red wrigglers as they are the best IMO. I have ordered worms from various places, so if order online just PM the name and I can tell you if they were good or bad. We have outdoor worm bins and indoor worm bins. Call your local recycling center and see if they sell them. Ours sells very nice ones for cheap. Are you planning on harvesting the liquid gold? I harvest ours and sell it to neighbors and friends.

I haven't ordered any. I would love any info you can give me on it. I'd like to try outdoor bins or at least garage bins. (Zone 6b) Liquid gold - is that the same as worm tea? I'm a total newbie and no very little (though I did just spend tons of time on the vermicompost forum). I appreciate any info you can share.

I have always heard soil dwelling worms (0nes you can gather from your garden0 won't work well for indoor worm composting. Here's a quote from redwormcomposting.com:

"Eventually I learned that most of my yard worms were of the “anecic†type – that is to say they were soil dwelling worms that create burrows and tend to lead a somewhat solitary existence (they need their space). The worms ideally suited for composting on the other hand are referred to as “epigeicâ€. This group tends to live in rich organic material (not soil), and are adapted to crowding and warmer temperatures. So its not difficult to see why epigeic worms would do much better in an indoor composting bin than their soil dwelling cousins."

Good luck with your project! I have long been wanting to do this but the kids just haven't gotten on board yet with the idea of worms in the house. :)

I have always heard soil dwelling worms (0nes you can gather from your garden0 won't work well for indoor worm composting. Here's a quote from redwormcomposting.com:

"Eventually I learned that most of my yard worms were of the “anecic†type – that is to say they were soil dwelling worms that create burrows and tend to lead a somewhat solitary existence (they need their space). The worms ideally suited for composting on the other hand are referred to as “epigeicâ€. This group tends to live in rich organic material (not soil), and are adapted to crowding and warmer temperatures. So its not difficult to see why epigeic worms would do much better in an indoor composting bin than their soil dwelling cousins."

Good luck with your project! I have long been wanting to do this but the kids just haven't gotten on board yet with the idea of worms in the house. :)

Good to know. Thanks. I knew y'all would sort me out. I appreciate all the info everyone is sharing.

FYI - no worms in the house here. DH would so NOT be on board with that. :tongue_smilie: At most, the bins might come in the garage during extreme weather.