Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you don't mind Christian programs, we've done Abeka's Consumer Math (it's about 15 years old, so all the prices/wages are VERY different from today! ;)). It covers lots of real-life topics (taxes, insurance, buying a car, mortgages, etc.) with quite a few math problems to choose from in each lesson. The table of contents for the Bob Jones Consumer Math looks like it is VERY similar, just a bit more recent. I believe I remember someone on this board saying the BJUP has more math problems than the Abeka. And Math-U-See puts out a "Stewardship" program which covers many of the same topics.

You can usually find used copies of all three of these programs much cheaper.

If you're looking for a secular program, Walch Publishing has Consumer Math in the Power Basics series. Wieser Educational has put out AGS Consumer Math -- Pearson published a revised version of this.

Here, here, and here are free downloadable worksheets of real-life consumer math problems.

Personal Finance is a related "don't miss" topic. Dave Ramsey has an awesome, practical, specific tips 12-hour DVD lecture and workbook set, Foundations in Personal Finance that is WELL worth both student AND parents to go through together. It is GREAT for older high school students, college students and young adults. The program often goes on sale in the spring. One of our DSs really enjoys listening to podcasts of The Dave Ramsey Show since we did the above program.

Larry Burkett's Money Matters for Teens also has practical (conservative) tips on earning, saving and spending, with an emphasis on giving, although it is less detailed and more at an introductory level and for younger teens. Again, in case you are looking for secular materials, both resources are from Christian authors, though that is much less overtly stated in the Dave Ramsey materials.

For secular personal finance and investing info, check out NPR's Motley Fool weekly radio broadcast; on this webpage are their top 10 tips for teens; their book, The Motley Fool Investment Guide For Teens, also looks interesting.

Even further afield from Consumer Math, are the various FREE video tutorials at Khan Academy on topics such Banking, Currency, Finance, Valuation & Investing, etc.

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Please check college requirements. Some colleges don't allow consumer math to count as a math credit. The college both of my dc attend does not.

If you don't mind Christian programs, we've done Abeka's Consumer Math (it's about 15 years old, so all the prices/wages are VERY different from today! ;)). It covers lots of real-life topics (taxes, insurance, buying a car, mortgages, etc.) with quite a few math problems to choose from in each lesson. The table of contents for the Bob Jones Consumer Math looks like it is VERY similar, just a bit more recent. I believe I remember someone on this board saying the BJUP has more math problems than the Abeka. And Math-U-See puts out a "Stewardship" program which covers many of the same topics.

You can usually find used copies of all three of these programs much cheaper.

If you're looking for a secular program, Walch Publishing has Consumer Math in the Power Basics series. Wieser Educational has put out AGS Consumer Math -- Pearson published a revised version of this.

Here, here, and here are free downloadable worksheets of real-life consumer math problems.

Personal Finance is a related "don't miss" topic. Dave Ramsey has an awesome, practical, specific tips 12-hour DVD lecture and workbook set, Foundations in Personal Finance that is WELL worth both student AND parents to go through together. It is GREAT for older high school students, college students and young adults. The program often goes on sale in the spring. One of our DSs really enjoys listening to podcasts of The Dave Ramsey Show since we did the above program.

Larry Burkett's Money Matters for Teens also has practical (conservative) tips on earning, saving and spending, with an emphasis on giving, although it is less detailed and more at an introductory level and for younger teens. Again, in case you are looking for secular materials, both resources are from Christian authors, though that is much less overtly stated in the Dave Ramsey materials.

For secular personal finance and investing info, check out NPR's Motley Fool weekly radio broadcast; on this webpage are their top 10 tips for teens; their book, The Motley Fool Investment Guide For Teens, also looks interesting.

Even further afield from Consumer Math, are the various FREE video tutorials at Khan Academy on topics such Banking, Currency, Finance, Valuation & Investing, etc.

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

WOW...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! :001_smile:

Please check college requirements. Some colleges don't allow consumer math to count as a math credit. The college both of my dc attend does not.

While this may be true, in some states high schools require a semester of personal finance. It is state law here. I don't think colleges are counting that as a math credit, but they do expect to see it on a transcript. They don't require it, but they expect it, it doesn't look bad to have it or anything.

Thanks for all of the info. I am using the AGS Consumer Math program at our co-op for the first time this year, and I'm always looking for supplements.

When I click on the second and third of your "here" links, though, I get taken to the same site. Did you have a different site for one of those?

When I click on the second and third of your "here" links, though, I get taken to the same site. Did you have a different site for one of those?

Aarrghh! Not only did I goof, but I am no longer able to edit in order to fix that goof. :( So HERE is the REAL third link.

And, as a bonus to those who read this post (LOL!), HERE is a free downloadable/printable workbook on consumer math topics.

Thanks for catching that! Warmest regards, Lori D.

And, as a bonus to those who read this post (LOL!), HERE is a free downloadable/printable workbook on consumer math topics.

Thanks so much! This last one looks like it has some good ideas for me to use to supplement our curriculum.