Menu

Our horrible, no good, very bad day. Poor ds6. :( (Long, sorry.)

So Moose got stitches a few days before Thanksgiving. He was running in the driveway with his hands in his pockets, :glare:, fell and gashed his chin.

We went to urgent care and he got a lidocaine injection and two stitches. He was MOST unhappy about the experience. :tongue_smilie:

So, about five days later, one of the two stitches comes out by itself. A few days after that, I clip the other stitch myself, since Moose was ADAMANT that he didn't want the doctor to do it. He was scared. He fussed a LOT just to let me do it. Well, I didn't get all of the stitch out. Which it took us a few weeks to realize, since we thought it was the scab. I figured I'd give it some time and maybe it'd work it's way out on it's own. It wasn't infected or inflammed or anything.

So Friday, we go to our pediatrician, because he's getting a red bump around the stitch, and now I'm worried it's getting infected and needs to be taken out. She cannot get it out without numbing it, so sends us to urgent care.

This is where things start to go bad...

So, we go to the Urgent Care clinic. They charge me $60, which I've NEVER paid before for an Urgent Care co-pay; I've always just had to pay $30, which is our office visit co-pay. Anyway, I just rolled my eyes and paid it, 'cause either way, it's less than our $100 Emergency Room co-pay.

So, we go back, and the doctor comes in. Right away I got the feeling this wasn't going to go well, because the doctor was very short, curt, and snippy; both with me AND the nurse that was helping her. I've never seen a doctor act like that. So anyway, we agree that she will give Moose a lidocaine injection, then remove the stitch. So understandably, Moose is not really keen on the idea of someone giving him a shot in his chin. so even though I'm holding his arms and the nurse is holding his head, he's sobbing and flinching whenever the doctor tries to touch him. You know, like EVERY six year old I've ever met would act. He wasn't screaming or hitting or kicking or anything; just scared. So after two tries to inject him, the doctor is sighing and annoyed. She steps back, rips her gloves off, and rudely says 'I'm going to go see other patients while he calms down'.

Uh, okaaaay, Now, in hindsight, I should have left then. But I didn't, because I figured, well, he's GOT to get the stitch out, either here or somewhere else. So I get Moose calmed, explain that we HAVE to get the stitch out, and that he needs to be as good as he can for me and the doctor. So the doctor eventually comes back, and the nurse and I hold Moose while she prepares to inject him. He of course starts crying again, and the doctor actually YELLED at him 'Well do you want me to just LEAVE IT IN THERE?!' Yelled. At a terrified 6 year old. (And, uh YEAH, he does. He doesn't care if his chin gets gangreen and rots off. He just doesn't want anyone poking at his chin anymore.)

So, uh, this is where I lost it. I held up my had to stop her, and said "Do you really think YELLING at him is going to help anything?! Do you ever treat children?" To which she replied something lame I can't remember, along with yes she does treat children. So then I siad "Well do you HAVE any children?!" Of course, she didn't feel that was relevant. So I said "It's clear you don't, ma'am. I will take him somewhere else." To which she said "GOOD!"

Uh, not my finest moment, to be sure. But let me just say, I feel I held myself in check quite well, since my little boys were there listening and watching. I wanted to rip her flingin' flangin' head off. :tongue_smilie:

On the way out, I got the surpervisors name and number. I will be calling her on Monday.

Oh, and we ended up going across the street to the emergency room, got an absolutely wonderful doctor there (thank God) who just put a topical numbing cream on his chin, and it took all of thirty seconds for her to get the stitch out. That stitch cost me $190 and five hours to get removed, not to mention all the turmoil to Moose, Zee, and myself. Lesson learned; take the boy back to the doctor to get the stitches removed right away. :D

Edited by bethanyniez
Ha! We really DO call him Moose, so I accidentally used his real name!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Poor you...

I've had to hold my screaming child down for a medical intervention, but the doctor and nurses were wonderful at least. I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been the case - the medical intervention was needed, life saving. I could not have walked away. One of the nurses wasn't too good about the screaming, but he was kept occupied at the other end of the room.

You did very well in your situation. Holding your own scared child, the one you're supposed to be protecting against all of life's evil, is heartwrenching.

:grouphug: Glad it's all over.

My dd had stitched when she was 2 in her forehead. The plastic surgeon, who did the stitching, refused to remove them 10 days later. Dd was taken to her pediatrician who basically reopened the wound trying to get them out!

Her stitches cost just over $4000!

:svengo:$4000?! Ok, Moose's cost us $210 total with all the co-pays; I guess I'll not whine about that anymore! :D

Any why in the WORLD would the plastic surgeon refuse to remove stitches he put in?! Absurd.

Well, that doctor was way out of line and clearly doesn't ever treat children. We ALWAYS put the Emla cream on before the numbing shot. Saves a whole lot of panic and tears. Duh.

Was the cut on his chin a clean cut or was it jagged? If it was a clean gash (no raggedy edges), it probably could have been glued (Dermabond) closed. Much easier on the kiddos...no stitches to remove. That's always our first choice with kids if it's possible. I've glued a lot of chins in my day. :lol:

So, we go back, and the doctor comes in. Right away I got the feeling this wasn't going to go well, because the doctor was very short, curt, and snippy; both with me AND the nurse that was helping her. I've never seen a doctor act like that. So anyway, we agree that she will give Moose a lidocaine injection, then remove the stitch. So understandably, Moose is not really keen on the idea of someone giving him a shot in his chin. so even though I'm holding his arms and the nurse is holding his head, he's sobbing and flinching whenever the doctor tries to touch him. You know, like EVERY six year old I've ever met would act. He wasn't screaming or hitting or kicking or anything; just scared. So after two tries to inject him, the doctor is sighing and annoyed. She steps back, rips her gloves off, and rudely says 'I'm going to go see other patients while he calms down'.

Uh, okaaaay, Now, in hindsight, I should have left then. But I didn't, because I figured, well, he's GOT to get the stitch out, either here or somewhere else. So I get Moose calmed, explain that we HAVE to get the stitch out, and that he needs to be as good as he can for me and the doctor. So the doctor eventually comes back, and the nurse and I hold Ezra while she prepares to inject him. He of course starts crying again, and the doctor actually YELLED at him 'Well do you want me to just LEAVE IT IN THERE?!' Yelled. At a terrified 6 year old. (And, uh YEAH, he does. He doesn't care if his chin gets gangreen and rots off. He just doesn't want anyone poking at his chin anymore.)

So, uh, this is where I lost it. I held up my had to stop her, and said "Do you really think YELLING at him is going to help anything?! Do you ever treat children?" To which she replied something lame I can't remember, along with yes she does treat children. So then I siad "Well do you HAVE any children?!" Of course, she didn't feel that was relevant. So I said "It's clear you don't, ma'am. I will take him somewhere else." To which she said "GOOD!"

:001_huh: Had ever even met a 6 year old prior to this, I wonder? I'm pretty sure "freaking out" is SOP for any 6yo with a needle aimed at his/her face. I'm so sorry for you and Moose.

Well, that doctor was way out of line and clearly doesn't ever treat children. We ALWAYS put the Emla cream on before the numbing shot. Saves a whole lot of panic and tears. Duh.

Was the cut on his chin a clean cut or was it jagged? If it was a clean gash (no raggedy edges), it probably could have been glued (Dermabond) closed. Much easier on the kiddos...no stitches to remove. That's always our first choice with kids if it's possible. I've glued a lot of chins in my day. :lol:

Diane, I will ask about the Dermabond next time*. It wasn't jagged, but there was a patch of skin MISSING, so I don't know if glue would've held it closed well enough or not. But I could've at least asked.

*And yes, I'm SURE there will be a next time. This is the second time the boy has fallen on his face and had to have stitches. Last time he was four, and smashed his face (between his upper lip and nose) into a concrete step. Ugh. We call him 'Moose' for a reason. But hey, at least now he's got the word 'frenulum' in his vocabulary. :tongue_smilie: I swear I do supervise him. :001_huh:

Tell him to "fall cleanly" next time. :lol: Dermabond works really well on the face. And just as a heads up...ask the nurse if you can have Emla the next time. Sometimes they won't think about it if they're not used to treating kids. It's almost always possible to use it, unless the bleeding is severe.

Tell him to "fall cleanly" next time. :lol: Dermabond works really well on the face. And just as a heads up...ask the nurse if you can have Emla the next time. Sometimes they won't think about it if they're not used to treating kids. It's almost always possible to use it, unless the bleeding is severe.

I asked the doctor at the ER about the name of the topical medication they used to numb it, and she just told me it's called Zap. I wasn't convinced that's the actual name of the medication. :tongue_smilie: It's like calling it Motrin instead of ibuprofen. I see you're calling it Emla; is that the actual name of the medication, or the brand? I want to sound intelligent when I ask for it. :D

How awful! I think you handled it quite well. I think I might have wrung her little neck! :glare: I don't understand why your doc didn't just take them out though. I can't imagine a doc's office that wasn't able to numb something, unless they just wanted it done by the people who put them in.

I asked the doctor at the ER about the name of the topical medication they used to numb it, and she just told me it's called Zap. I wasn't convinced that's the actual name of the medication. :tongue_smilie: It's like calling it Motrin instead of ibuprofen. I see you're calling it Emla; is that the actual name of the medication, or the brand? I want to sound intelligent when I ask for it. :D

There are several different kinds. Emla is a brand. It's a combination of lidocaine and prilocaine. You can just ask that a topical anesthetic be applied to the wound before the actual injection. So no matter what brand they use, they should understand what you mean.

There are several different kinds. Emla is a brand. It's a combination of lidocaine and prilocaine. You can just ask that a topical anesthetic be applied to the wound before the actual injection. So no matter what brand they use, they should understand what you mean.

Thank you Diane. I will do that in the future. I appreciate your advice. :)

We love our urgent care. We've been going to the same place for 10 years. Two of the doctors there used to be part of the family practice my family-of-origin went to, so they are old friends. One of them had actually taken care of four generations of our family over 60 years!

When we moved across town, I actually put off finding a new family doctor for five years because I knew we could always see Dr. H or Dr. B at the clinic. If I called, the nurses and front office staff always remembered us.

Sadly, Dr. B passed away last year, and Dr. H returned to private practice. So I finally found a new family doctor on our side of town. So far we really like her.

(Just speaking up for excellent urgent care clinics. There are some.)

I should tell you how much it cost to get a Lego out of a child's nostril, to make you feel better, only I think I've blocked out the total cost to avoid having to discuss it with my husband after I paid the bills. That was an eight hour emergency room adventure. :001_smile:

:grouphug: Some dr's really should be in research and not with people at all. Good job to you sticking up for your ds. BTDT with 1 dr in the last 12 months. I managed not to bite his head off but only because I was trying to calm my ds. I have also dealt with 2 nurses like this in my life. 1 I kicked in the face (long story), and the other I yelled at and kicked out of the room. Seriously if people are going to act that way towards sick/injured and scared people they should not be in medicine at all.