Menu

How to get started planning a beach vacation?

FINALLY, dh and I are planning to take the kids to the beach this summer. All of my beach experience has been at Myrtle Beach, SC and we are looking to go a bit of a different direction (maybe a little less commercial?). I was thinking about the Outerbanks or even the gulf side of Florida. The problem is, I don't know a thing about any of these beaches and I don't even know where to begin! If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Also, since we homeschool, we have the ability to go during the off-season. Would we want to do this (for instance, would the NC beaches be warm enough?). Of course if we could save some money, we would love to.

I just feel so overwhelmed and would love some advice. Thanks!

The Gulf will be warmer than the Atlantic. It really depends what you personally believe is too cold. Many folks from up north think 70ish water is warm enough. I do not since I'm from the south. I like my water warmer.

Mid-May should be fine for the Gulf. If spring breakers come to the Gulf, they will do so from Feb - April. May, with the exception of Memorial weekend, shouldn't be crowded.

Check out Destin, Florida (and Ft. Walton Beach). Panama City Beach is often a site for spring breakers. Destin is a bit more clean-cut with still a lot of features (and beautiful beaches).

Dorothy- welcome to OH - we're in Cincinnati!

While this doesn't tell you how to start planning or reserching I can share our vacation with you. As a child we went to Hilton Head. As parents we'd enver gone to the beach. We "bought" a week long condo at a church auction. It was for Fripp Island, SC. WONDERFUL!!!! The only vacation that I've come back from and said I was actually relaxed. we stayed at Captain soemthing or other villas. Right on the ocean front and affordable. We went over Labor Day weekend which was the start of off season. (Although for what we paid you can rent the condo for the whole mo. of Jan or Feb.) There is NOTHING to do except beach, shelling, pools, crabbing, sand castle building, fishing and a few other things. (Now it was busier before Labor Day but was dead right after.) We brought life jackets for the kids even though they are excellent swimmers and were so glad we did. We also brought premade meals from home that we could throw into a crock-pot. (marinaded chicken, chilli, and I don't recall what else). So go out and just come in whenever we were ready.

The next island over, Hunting Island, is a state park with some special events and a light house. We had looked into outer banks but looked like you had to drive forever along the banks just to get to your final desitation. I would go to Fripp over and over if you're a low key person.

Best of luck to you! And enjoy the vacation. :)

Edited by kmoncelle

Just booked a condo in Indian Harbour Beach in Florida today. It's on the Atlantic, near Kennedy Space Center. Dh likes to go to the Space Center. Kayaking in the inlets is something I'd like to try this time. Have fun planning!!!

I live on the water and am close enough to VA Beach that it isn't really a trip. With that said my 2 favorite beach vacations are Nags Head (Outer Banks) and also Chincoteague/Asateague Islands. Neither are overly commercial, and both have their own flavor. In the Outer Banks I would suggest looking for a house for the week. You might need to find another family to go with you, but the houses are huge, often have pools, and the prices can be negotiated as long as it isn't a holiday. There is so much to do that even a rainy day is fun, and we usually make a trip in the winter for that experience. The Lost Colony presentation is interesting, and I love the quiet of the entire.place.

Chincoteague and Asateague are different as well, Asateagues side is a preserve and it is common to have wild ponies come right by you on the beach. Chincoteague is a charming little town, so we stay there and then drive over. We camp so I don't have hotel suggestions. But I know the campgrounds rent cabins and trailers and the parks are right on the water.

Dorothy- welcome to OH - we're in Cincinnati!

Thank you! We should be there in a couple of months. DH is already there working. We'll be close to Cincinnati. I'm looking forward to it.

OP, check out Seaside, Florida as well. That's where the Truman Show (Jim Carrey) was filmed. It's beautiful also.

I adore the Ft. Walton, Destin beach areas of Florida. Panama City is way too commericalized, though there are lovely small pockets between Destin and Panama City.

Vrbo.com has great information and deal on condos. We generally stay in San Destin properties because once there, we never need a car~:auto:. A shuttle runs internally on property, and many condos supply bikes.

Long Beach, NC. Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle are close enough to Calabash to drive over to eat every night, almost. The Long Beach end of Oak Island is nice, the Caswell Beach end great too. These beaches all face south so you see sunrises and sunsets. Up the coast, Topsail Beach is totally quiet and sweet, quaint....further north isEmerald Isle, which is more built up....plenty to do, nothing huge, but fun. I have never cared for the Outer Banks, but have driven the length making stops, which is interesting, and done the historic sites.

Chincoteague is very small town, but going the month of July, means you get the sweet, small carnival every weekend, and oyster fritters. The Pony Penning is crazy-busy, though. Too much. I'd rather stay on a beach, usually, but this is a great biking area.

I used to go two weeks in May or September, for the price of one in the summer.

I love NC beaches!

If you want to go off season and want to miss the uncertainty of hurricane season, then I suggest the gulf coast of Florida in late April or early May. I' ve been to Duck, NC in May--the water isn't warm yet. I have friends who go to the outer banks offseason in September every year. In 15 years they've had to evacuate twice. That's not much, but they go every year. If you are going for the first time and want to avoid that uncertainty, don't go in September.

What about St Augustine? The beaches there are nice, there are some restaurants and a few things to do actually at the beach. If you go into downtown about 10-15 minutes there is a ton of historical stuff. They have tram tours and so forth as well. It is very different from Myrtle Beach.

I've been to the Outer Banks many, many times. That's where we went as a family vacation as kids. I just went with my mom and kids this summer. We have stayed as far south as Avon and as far north as Duck and several places in between. I've stayed in gigantic ocean front homes all the way down to an old motor lodge. We have gone in May, June, July, August, September and even December one year. June and July are definitely best weather-wise. We had to evacuate in late August one time. May was gorgeous, but the water was too cold for swimming. We had a hot-tub at our house, though, so we didn't mind. I love the Outer Banks. I find it very restful, even at the height of tourist season. Feel free to ask any questions.

Why not continue down to Hilton Head? It is CLEAN, upscale, and a good part of it is residential so the commercial feel is at a minimum. We go every year at least once. You could easily get a condo, resort, or house on or within walking distance(like 3rd row) off the beach. You will love it if you like good food, shopping, and clean beaches.

Last Sep we went to Laguna Beach Christian Retreat near Panama City Beach. It was peaceful, and we never went into PCB. We got a 2BR/1BA cabin that could sleep 8. It's right across the street from beach, but there are also 2 pools on site. Being late Sep it wasn't crowded at all and the beach was still plenty warm. They also give homeschool discounts. If this might be a good fit for your family it's worth a call to check them out.

We went to Cape San Blas, FL this past fall (October-ish) and LOVED it. Very quiet, almost deserted beaches and great, warm water. You can go during scallop season and wade into the bay to find scallops. There is great fishing and also a place to rent boats or get a charter for fishing in Port St. Joe which is the main town about 15 min away.

Cape San Blas is a huge peninsula and there is a large state park at the end of the peninsula with hiking trails, etc.

Oh, it's on the panhandle of FL :)

eta: It is not commercial at all - No huge high rise condos, no rushing out to the beach to get a chair, etc. We rented a house (there are a decent amt to choose from - especially on FYBO.com).

Having grown up in the South, the gulf is our 'second' home...

Areas we LOVE and always return to!!

Santa Rosa, Florida...most amazing 'dive' restaurant called "Red Bar" that is a MUST go to!! The ambiance and feel of the place is wonderful and make sure to go on the night they have crab cakes (think it's Tuesdays, someone else might know better!) Rent a house from an owner..we loved this house b/c our friends owned it, I know they have been trying to sell it for awhile but not sure if they did..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g34617-d2164188-Sea_Turtle_Sea_Turtle-Santa_Rosa_Beach_Florida.html

It has its own private pool and is in a private community, being homeschoolers we tend to go in early May or late September and we're the only ones on the beach!! We rent bicycles for the week and take the ride into the Seaside Community, very nice, just very crowded at times...also Watercolor is nice, but we like the seclusion of this house and beach. You can call and rent bikes the day you get there for the week..they even have pull behinds for toddlers...

Second best would be St. George's Island...just farther down and very nice and secluded..we just find if we want something to do (go outlet shopping, putt putt, go kart..we can be there in 20 minutes from Santa Rosa)....

Hope this helps!!

St George Island on the gulf coast of FL is very nice and not at all commercial. Actually, if you want restaurants and such it may be a little too non-commercial, but we love it.

We also have really enjoyed Tybee Island in Savannah. There is a lot to do for everyone in Savannah - foodies, history buffs, beach enthusiasts, ghost hunters, etc can all find plenty to entertain them. Wow, I should write a travel brochure for them, lol. ;) It really is our favorite all around vacation spot though!