Menu

Skip counting CD or resource?

Hope in God

Well, this is a start... and it's free:

One parent here on a previous thread approved of this one in particular because they're chanting the multiples, not singing them, which apparently can be a barrier to learning / using them in real (ie non-singing) situations.

I have also found this FREE printable resource extremely valuable. I just saved it and print off whatever sheets we need for any given week. They have fill-in skip-counting charts, as well as circle-the-multiples that you can do on hundreds charts. Simple but awesome!

A few more free ideas for skip counting songs: http://www.mkdowney.com/mkd-skipcounting.htm

ETA: Quick search of youtube revealed

, and there are a few others from the same people.

Oh, one more that we enjoy - Skip Counting Charts, free printables from Jolanthe of Homeschool Creations, with a cute picture and rhyme to accompany each one. Click here to find the page, then scroll down or search for "skip counting charts".

Anyway, just speaking for myself, we didn't learn them as addition at ALL. I don't know how old your ds is, but with my dd, we just learned them as chants and I showed them on the number chart. I never bothered showing her, for example, 3+3 = 6, 6+3 = 9, 9+3=12, etc. We just learned "3, 6, 9, 12" etc. And she memorizes the order of the numbers that way.

Along the way, she saw that she could "figure it out" on the number chart, ie "say 3, skip 2, say 6, skip 2" etc. But teaching it as addition is a slower process. The point of teaching skip counting, as I understand it, is that memorizing lets them cut through any manual processes and just KNOW that the next number is 12, for example, or 15, or 24, or whatever.

We are taking a break from skip counting while we work through Verbal Math Lesson, but I'm very much looking forward to returning to it when we're done. It is fantastic groundwork for multiplication; I wish my older dd could have drilled skip counting at this age!

...I have also found this FREE printable resource extremely valuable. I just saved it and print off whatever sheets we need for any given week. They have fill-in skip-counting charts, as well as circle-the-multiples that you can do on hundreds charts. Simple but awesome!...

Thanks for sharing this! I just downloaded it for DD. I wouldn't use most of the pages (She HATES filling out hundreds charts. With a passion. Like you'd think I was asking her to clean the entire kitchen floor with a toothbrush), but I see a few that we can use for some variety!

Oh, one more that we enjoy - Skip Counting Charts, free printables from Jolanthe of Homeschool Creations, with a cute picture and rhyme to accompany each one. Click here to find the page, then scroll down or search for "skip counting charts".

Wow! I was just reading that blog that you had linked. There are some great ideas and I like the idea of rotating the skip counting to keep it fresh once they have learned it. I have to ask- are people really THAT organized! I am waaayyyy behind.:001_huh: The way my life would go, I would get the chart all set up and laminate everything to perfection. Then on week 2 I would begin to slack and by week 4 it would be an all-but-forgotton wall hanging.:confused: