Menu

Song School Latin

TracyR

I have a question for those of you who are using this program . Would I be able to use this program with my 5year old ? I am just wondering . She likes to learn Latin with her big sisters but am wanting to use something more at her level because , well , PL works too fast for her .

I looked at the website and the samples and it does look like its something she could do . But what I see and what always is are two different things .

Also is it possible to use this without the teacher's manual or do I need this ? It seems most of the words in the program we are learning with PL anyways ( of course there are some different ones . ) I'm thinking with the CD songs that it can be doable without the TM ? What are your thoughts ?

The TM is just the student book with the answers filled in and the occasional teacher's note. I think you will be fine w/o it. SSL does have less vocabulary (4-5 words or phrases per lesson) than PL. I found it to me more directly applicable to the child's life, it's more fun imho. It is a gentle introduction to Latin and I think totally doable by an interested 5yo.

:iagree:

I'm using it with a 3 5 and 7 year old right now. We do a lot of it orally, for the parts that are written, I coach them to do it as a team with the 7 yr old writing the answers, sometimes the 5 yr old. Its going really well, and actually my 3 yr old is the one learning the Latin the quickest. But they are all doing excellently and they enjoy it.

This is great to know . I will just order the student book . The student book comes with the song CD right ?

I just didn't want to order something that was going to sit on my shelf and collect dust. Don't have the money for that this year :>)

• 2 months later...
This is great to know . I will just order the student book . The student book comes with the song CD right ?

I just didn't want to order something that was going to sit on my shelf and collect dust. Don't have the money for that this year :>)

Yes, the CD comes in the back of the student book. We've slacked off this summer longer than I anticipated, but we still did Song School Latin, because I could just put it on the CD player while the kids played. I have a 5yo who thinks Latin is his best subject.