Menu

Fun, positive music for 8 yo

My 8 yo got an mp3 player for Christmas and we're having trouble finding music that she likes AND I approve of.

She likes: fun, danceable, hip-hop sounding music that doesn't sound like kids music (anything Kids Bop is a no-go with her).

Me: Positive lyrics, no love songs (ok - maybe 1 or 2 lighthearted love songs might be okay... maybe), dealing with age-appropriate issues. I'm on the fence about the Disney albums. Some of the songs are fine, but I really want to avoid angsty teenage boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.

I've found one winner so far - The soundtrack to JUMP IN. It's very fun, squeaky clean and the songs are of a "Follow your dreams, you can do it" theme. It's great! I'd like to find her a few more options, though.

So... any ideas? I'd LOVE to find some Christian artists for her because I am a Christian. But, secular music is totally fine, too. It just needs to be clean and positive.

Anyone? :bigear:

If she likes hip hop, try Secret Agent 23 Skidoo - he's a kids hip hop artist - it sounds like "real" hip hop mostly (the soul, jazz influenced sort, not hardcore rap) but its all about playing pretend games and being yourself.

My kids listen to a lt of They Might Be Giants, so that's mostly just nonsense lyrics or stuff about history. They also like a lot of disco and pop, but other than a few things, I have no objection to love songs or whatever.

I also thought the Putamayo suggestion was good - in general, world music might be a good way to go. After all, if the lyrics are in Swahili or Japanese or whatever, then the song is, for you, just about the music and the sound.

I like the Jump In rec, so thanks. DD will like this. She doesn't have any hip-hop faves but here is what she loves most.

For the Kids (vol 1 and 2...there is a 3rd out now but we don't have it)

Jewel - The Merry Goes 'Round (also loves Jewel's lullaby album) (These are her current favorites.)

She loves everything by Charlie Hope, Elizabeth Mitchell, Frances England, and Sara Hickman's albums for kids (but these might be young for your DD, as we've enjoyed them for years).

Two of our favorites are Many Hands and cELLAbration (probably too young for your DD but a cheerful mix so I'll leave it for others to see :D). Also, we agree with Justin Roberts (he has two Bible albums, by the way) and They Might Be Giants.

Our all-time favorite family playlist is Jazz for Kids of All Ages. These three discs are so fabulous! I can't recommend it highly enough.

I do let her listen to my stuff sometimes (and I listen to hers because I like it too). She loves Adele but I have to be careful because there is some language.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Two of our favorites are Many Hands and cELLAbration (probably too young for your DD but a cheerful mix so I'll leave it for others to see :D). Also, we agree with Justin Roberts (he has two Bible albums, by the way) and They Might Be Giants.

I'm listending to cELLAbration on spotify at the moment and it's great :) I can't not smile. Here's hoping younger (7 yo) DD enjoys it :) Right now, the only thing on younger DD's mp3 player is Strawberry Shortcake - Rockaberry, so I'm fairly optimistic.

If she likes hip hop, try Secret Agent 23 Skidoo - he's a kids hip hop artist - it sounds like "real" hip hop mostly (the soul, jazz influenced sort, not hardcore rap) but its all about playing pretend games and being yourself.

Mini rant about them... Their song Noise is on the Many Hands CD and I love it. I love the sound, the beat, and the message (which is spectacular!), but the grammar is cringe-worthy. I know music can be regarded as a form of poetry set to music and all bets are off regarding grammar and punctuation. However, especially because they produce music for children, I really believe their choice to use improper grammar ultimately hurts them, as it perpetuates negative stereotypes of hip-hop and rap artists. It's a crying shame because I would probably buy all their music if not for that.

And full disclosure: Justin Roberts uses "ain't" pretty often. I cringe at that too. :lol:

Mini rant about them... Their song Noise is on the Many Hands CD and I love it. I love the sound, the beat, and the message (which is spectacular!), but the grammar is cringe-worthy. I know music can be regarded as a form of poetry set to music and all bets are off regarding grammar and punctuation. However, especially because they produce music for children, I really believe their choice to use improper grammar ultimately hurts them, as it perpetuates negative stereotypes of hip-hop and rap artists. It's a crying shame because I would probably buy all their music if not for that.

I see what you're saying, but it is really poetry to me - it fits exactly the conventions that someone like Kanye West is doing, but with a totally different audience and message. But grammar in music and poetry is really not a bugaboo of mine at all. We saw him perform awhile back. He was really cool and spoke to the small crowd of kids afterwards.

I'm listending to cELLAbration on spotify at the moment and it's great :) I can't not smile. Here's hoping younger (7 yo) DD enjoys it :) Right now, the only thing on younger DD's mp3 player is Strawberry Shortcake - Rockaberry, so I'm fairly optimistic.

Oh, just as a heads up, Did You Feed My Cow is...um...weird. :lol: So many times I have almost removed it from the playlist but apparently it hasn't scarred my kids for life so I keep forgetting. Even omitting that one, though, you still have lots of great music. My kids LOVE The Yodeling Song. That one goes on repeat often. :D

I see what you're saying, but it is really poetry to me - it fits exactly the conventions that someone like Kanye West is doing, but with a totally different audience and message. But grammar in music and poetry is really not a bugaboo of mine at all. We saw him perform awhile back. He was really cool and spoke to the small crowd of kids afterwards.

I wish I could get past it. I'll listen to their samples and see if I can do it. I want to expose the kids to different kinds of music and I do love their messages. Maybe we'll do a unit on poetry as music, including the artistic use of grammar, to help me get over my mental hurdle.

At that age dd (now 12) started listening to these:

http://www.christianbook.com/radical-raspberry-download/pd/DLF126752-CP?item_code=WW&netp_id=670241&event=ESRCG&view=details

There are a couple other ones too-Totally Tangerine, and I forgot the other. She LOVES them, still does! She just got a new mp3 player and still wanted them on there. Fun, upbeat, and several of them have portions of Scripture kind of sung into them. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!!!

ETA: just reread your post-you can take a listen and see if it sounds too kids bop for you. I don't think it is and like I said, dd is 12 and still loves it!

AND I just thought of another really good one---any of the Judy Rogers CDs-there is one called Go to the Ant, and I forgot the others. EXCELLENT! They are probably a step up from the other ones I mentioned as far as age/themes (still totally innocent, and I am VERY conservative-they have things like "stand up, stand up, for what you know is right, etc-things about standing up for what is right when you see people doing things bad, etc). But dd still prefers the others, even though they are "younger" sounding!

Edited by HappyGrace

Zooglobble is a blog dedicated to indy kids music. It would be worth your time to check it out. Sorry I can't link it on my phone. I also second the recommendation for 23 Agent Skidoo. They are the best hip hop kids group and they have really positive lyrics.