Menu

Poll: Please help me decide...

iamrachelle

Which one should I choose?  

1. 1. Which one should I choose?

• DVD Class With Mrs Vick... Not To Be Missed!
    • Investigations DVD Only
    • It's Official. Making Simple Decisions Difficult Is Your Spiritual Gift.

After much prayer, deliberation and petitioning (in the strong name of Jesus) I have finally decided to use BJU's Life Science for my 7th grade DD next year. However, I can't decide between the DVD option vs the Investigations only DVD option.

My huz will be returning from a one year deployment this summer and I am trying to streamline our school day next year so that we maximize our time together as a family.

After perusing the many threads here regarding the Life Science DVD's with Mrs Vick I see that most people love her class, but that the biggest complaint, and the reason most families drop the DVD class, is because of the time commitment involved.

So.

What do you think? Should I just use the Investigations DVD to help flesh out the experiments and shave the time it would take to watch the lesson each day? Or is the instruction that is found on the DVD with Mrs Vick not to be missed?

FWIW, my degree is in bio-chem so I'm not worried about being able to teach the material myself. That doesn't necessarily mean that my DD will understand what I'm teaching... but really how bad could I be? At the very least, as clear as mud.:D

:bigear:

I really would love to hear from some of you that have used BJU's Life Science. Did the DVD class end up taking too much time in your school day so that you gave it up and simply taught the material yourself? It's a lot of money to invest for one class, almost as much as I'm spending on all of her other courses combined, so I am really trying to make an informed decision. :001_smile:

The lessons are still 30 minutes at this grade level, so I voted don't skip the DVDs. I really liked what dd learned from Mrs. Vick last year for Life Science. Ds will be using her for 6th-8th grade if we in any way have the money. Time would not be an issue for me because I really want him to have her teaching that much.

You could use this time to teach your dd to take notes from listening to a teacher which is a great skill to have. Dvd's can be taken with you wherever you go. You could do 2 lessons a day on weeks you want more fun days. I like her so much, I would choose to do less in other subjects in order to have time for it.

Don't you have the dvd's for 18 months? With online streaming we had access to them for that long, so you could spread it out.

The lessons are still 30 minutes at this grade level, so I voted don't skip the DVDs. I really liked what dd learned from Mrs. Vick last year for Life Science. Ds will be using her for 6th-8th grade if we in any way have the money. Time would not be an issue for me because I really want him to have her teaching that much.

You could use this time to teach your dd to take notes from listening to a teacher which is a great skill to have. Dvd's can be taken with you wherever you go. You could do 2 lessons a day on weeks you want more fun days. I like her so much, I would choose to do less in other subjects in order to have time for it.

Don't you have the dvd's for 18 months? With online streaming we had access to them for that long, so you could spread it out.

Thanks, Amy! This sort of information is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.