Menu

Adorably Asynchronous moments

Dmmetler

Asychrony:

Dd-just-turned-2 has a new little 1/32 size violin that she LOVES. She wants to play it all the time and can bow "Mississippi Stop Stop" all on her own. Yesterday she was even "tuning" by singing the A (her bow has very little rosin, so it doesn't make much sound when it rubs across the strings) and then pretending to turn the pegs. She was alternating bowing/singing and turning a couple of times. It was SO cute!

But then she got angry at me for not playing the violin *for* her (sometimes she puts it under my chin and demands "pay!" and I don't always want to "pay" at that very moment), so she dropped the violin to the ground and tried to hit me with the bow. Ahhhh! Asynchrony! :lol:

(Yes: the violin and bow were taken away for the rest of the evening.)

Ds8 spent an hour and a half yesterday whining and arguing that he didn't understand his history chapter before finally sitting down and typing a 13 sentence summary that pretty thoroughly covered the Chinese revolution, Chiang Kai-shek, and the rise of Mao Ze Dong. When he finally started typing he finished the whole thing in about 15 minutes. :glare:

This reminds me of when my kid brother used to play (on the piano, by ear) music from scary movies, until he got himself so scared he'd scream and run away from the piano. :tongue_smilie:

I laugh when my kids correct each other about proper behavior, five minutes after they have committed the identical error. But I'm not sure that's asynchronous vs. just plain normal for five-year-olds.

A few weeks ago, my two-year-old was trying to wheedle me into doing more math with her. (We had just done 25 pages from Beginning Mathematical Reasoning.) She said, "Please, Mama! Please, I love maff! It makes me so happy! It's my favorite!" while hugging the book to her chest. It worked; she got another 15 pages out of me before I refused to do any more--and then we had a major two-year-old meltdown.

Dd solved this in a few minutes last night.

16. 2(1x^3y + 5x^2 + 3xy) + 3(4xy + 2x^2 + 5x^3y)=.

Today she learned the terms function/domain/range for the first time and did extremely well with the practice set -- but she could barely tell me the time on the clock this morning. She just doesn't care about the time so she puts no effort into it. :tongue_smilie:

Is this normal?

Today's obsession: Harry Potter book 3. I don't even know the name. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
clarify

Today she learned the terms function/domain/range for the first time and did extremely well with the practice set -- but she could barely tell me the time on the clock this morning. She just doesn't care about the time so she puts no effort into it. :tongue_smilie:

Is this normal?

It's sure normal here. There is a drastic difference in the speed and accuracy of output is totally dependent on whether dd is interested in what she's doing. What she's interested in can change from day to day.

• 1 month later...

Is this normal?

Normal? Yes. Ds8 will explain string theory to you, but had to look at the clock this morning for several minutes to figure out what time it was. The time was important because he had just hid in the bathroom for 20 minutes re-reading HP 3--I can't remember the name either.

DD was doing the World Spelling Day online today-and was thrilled when she was competing with a child in Egypt-because she thought he'd be spelling in heiroglyphics :) (I don't know if that's asynchronous or age appropriate, but it was cute).

My older ds was 9 when I saw him drawing this really cool space picture with little space ships and asteroids and shuttle craft zipping around. When I asked him about it, he told me it was ATP providing the energy to enzymes to help the reactions between molecules.:001_huh:

Ruth in NZ