Menu

No Buy January

Anyone want to join me? I saw this thread on DISboards and thought, "Yes, I need this!" :D

Here's how it works:

You commit to buying only the absolute necessities for the entire month of January. As in, no extra trips to Target with little goodies (cute storage containers, nail polish, a DVD, an Itunes card, pre-packaged food you could make yourself) ending up in your cart. No eating out, no movies (find a DVD, pop your own popcorn and make a night of it at home), nothing but the necessities....fresh produce, eggs, milk, bread (although you could make that, too), etc....gasoline for the car, medicine or doctor visits, stuff like that.

Mainly, it's just a self-control reminder. And to keep us honest, we need to record what we spend each day and where we spend it....here. So, it looks like this:

1/1: $0

1/2:$0

1/3: $8.19 Target (prescription)

1/3: $20.24 Papa Murphy's pizza (shouldn't have done this!)

1/3: $35.51 Walmart (groceries)

1/4: $20.04 Target (no idea what I bought :glare:)

1/5: $21.00 gas

1/5: $99.96 Winco (groceries)

1/5: $56.03 Walmart (nothing I really needed...except that I clearly need to stay out of this store!)

This also helps you to see where your money might be sneaking away from you.

So, anyone want to join me? I'm really going to try hard NOT to spend my money this month. And next. LOL

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typically do this and a pantry challenge every January but am not this year since i am expecting in February and am afraid that I will end up with nothing that I need for the baby and an empty pantry right when I should be stocking up. However, I do plan on doing both sometime in the spring after the baby is born.

Great idea! We have some medical and tax bills to deal with, so we definitely need to be doing this! And yes, sad to say, we had a pizza-related spending accident on the second day of the new year too...

Anna-on-Cape-Cod:

Sounds real and genuine ...

Cost cutting exercises like this are excellent, I think.

Great thread.

I'm in, BUT I do count school related spending as necessities even if it is for supplementary items. I have an order to place in the next week or so to corps for rediscovery and I consider that very necessary ;) That said I have to take it easy on all other spending this month so that I can get my bills back on track since I only paid half of each of them in December, time to get them all paid off again. Thank goodness I went shopping on the 30th and bought all I wanted to, oh except for the canvas bags and fabric paint I bought yesterday. But that was "necessary" too so the kids could have cool bags to carry their things to our new hide away. Of course the fact they all own backpacks doesn't matter, they "needed" these totes lol Hmm this could be tougher than I thought, I can rationalize almost all spending.

Well, rats. I've totally failed already for this month (bought several cleaning/home organization items and a couple books - for school, of course ;)). Can we start tomorrow?

Yes! Because that is what I am doing :lol: We will pretend that January did not start until tomorrow, after all today is still xmas ;)

Well, rats. I've totally failed already for this month (bought several cleaning/home organization items and a couple books - for school, of course ;)). Can we start tomorrow?

Susan in TN:

Well, sounds like you're giving up smoking: always 'tomorrow'! :)

Seriously, exercises in practical frugality (how about this for a phrase?) are very useful; it's not so much about days and dates as it is about a long-term frame of mind.

Yeah, I'm kind of doing this anyway because I have a spending hangover from Christmas. However, I have already bought a couple of things that were not totally necessary; only that they were things I had already intended for a few years to get. I didn't get them for Christmas so I ordered up. :tongue_smilie: One was a lighting kit for photography and another was a slide converter.

My mom and I made my daughter's homecoming dress for $37.00. (The pattern alone would have been $17.95 and my mom got it for $2.06!!) And I just scored shoes for her, less than 1/2 price at $19.97. I plan to put this up on my blog after the dance tomorrow. :001_smile: I'm way proud of that!

One was a lighting kit for photography and another was a slide converter.

Okay just have to point out that clearly my day must be coming to an end. I read this as lightening kilt and had to attempt to reread it 3 (Yes THREE) times to make my brain acknowledge that it did not say that at all :lol:

A few suggestions for saving money:

If you're not going on a long journey, no need to fill up with gas completely.

Watch out for chunky soup on special: like this it's both a filling meal, and with rice can make a great and inexpensive casserole (we do it a lot).

Fill your holes with what's already in your earring box; skip buying new ones!

See if there is a local company scheme where the electricity is cheaper if you use the dishwasher after 9PM (we do this).

(...and so it goes.)

Okay just have to point out that clearly my day must be coming to an end. I read this as lightening kilt and had to attempt to reread it 3 (Yes THREE) times to make my brain acknowledge that it did not say that at all :lol:

:lol::lol: Well, I already purchased my wand, cape and cauldron. Now all I need is a lightening kit and...the world will be in my control....mwahhahahah!

ETA: Oh, wait. Lightening kilt? Shazam! Feel the breeze!

Oh help, I'm off the wagon already. I needed new fitted sheets for my bed; the elastic has gone and they were never deep enough and always slipping. I came across a bargain......

:blush:

Well see that is a necessity because without them you will not have proper sheets, and without proper sheets they will keep slipping off while you sleep, and they may hook over your face and suffocate you while you sleep, because while they are not deep enough for your bed, they are deep enough to be death traps. So in order to save your own life and not leave your poor sweet innocent children motherless those new sheets better be purchased asap. THe fact that they are on sale means that you truly are concerned with the financial aspects of the family and are doing your part to maintain frugality while ensuring that you do not die a horrible death due to illfitting bedsheets.

Told you I would have a hard time with this challenge, I can rationalize all shopping :lol:

I have been thinking of this as well. I know I blew it some the beginning of the month already with the funeral and so much unexpected *stuff* going on. We ate out earlier this week(which generally is very rare) and spent about $90 at Wal-Mart on misc things- hose, tie, shoes, groceries, makeup, etc. However here's hoping the rest of the month is better. We stayed home today from Co-op as it was going to cost $16 for swimming and tonight is family movie night but we are doing free from Netflix.

Today and yesterday was $0 spending days and I've gone stricter again about electricity usage. I'm in :)

Well see that is a necessity because without them you will not have proper sheets, and without proper sheets they will keep slipping off while you sleep, and they may hook over your face and suffocate you while you sleep, because while they are not deep enough for your bed, they are deep enough to be death traps. So in order to save your own life and not leave your poor sweet innocent children motherless those new sheets better be purchased asap. THe fact that they are on sale means that you truly are concerned with the financial aspects of the family and are doing your part to maintain frugality while ensuring that you do not die a horrible death due to illfitting bedsheets.

Told you I would have a hard time with this challenge, I can rationalize all shopping :lol:

:lol: I don't even feel guilty.:tongue_smilie:

More money saving suggestions:

Ink is surprisingly expensive, so think twice - three times? - before you print off emails, documents, etc. Even with vouchers, don't print them off until you actually are going to use them.

Revise subscriptions and cancel direct debits; pay as you go is better than direct debit, I think, because it helpfully concentrates the mind about whether the subscription is really necessary.

Revise bank fees and shop around and be prepared to change banks if the fees are too high; it may need research, but as far as we are concerned we actually figured independently which bank would be the best for our circumstances.

For your next tattoo, hold off going to the parlor but make it known that a tattoo voucher would be welcomed as a gift for b-day/Christmas etc; some parlors operate gift certificates.

Some of the car deals these days are excellent, but make sure the brand has a good service record and reputation: no point in a $5000 cashback if within 18 months you have to spend $6000 on Mickey Mouse stuff at the garage.

Well, we're a bust already, lol. Just bought a nice set of new table and chairs today...we've never had a nice solid set. Always just stuff given to us and sometimes mismatched or things I got off craigslist. We saved for it though so no debt acquired.

We are saving now for two nice shelves (16" deep so I can put my nice finished scrapbooks on the bottom shelves and not have them stick out) and a TV console for the living room. The TV currently sits on a desk and we have a tiny rickety bookshelf.

But one of my resolutions this year was to only buy American made when possible. All of the items are made in America from beautiful American hardwoods. I can't wait to get them.

-We spent $30 on lunch today (Zea's is sooooo good. I could eat those roasted corn grits like every day!)

-We saved for and then spent a good amount at the furniture shop.

-We spent $100 on groceries this afternoon (mainly fresh fish and some produce). I'm particular about my fish and buy a good amount at a time from the place near us.

Oh and I spent $35 on Amazon for some school books for core 7 and 100. I have almost all of the regular reading books for both cores via trades on Paperback swap. The larger or harder to find ones I pick up one by one when I find a good deal. So far I don't have much left to get. That will cover us for the next two years. Plus I get to help my dear friend out next year by having core 100 completed. She is a single mom doing her best with the small SS check she gets to care for her son who has serious medical issues and can't attend school. She loves SL, but can't afford to purchase it all. This way she'll be able to use it the year before I need it :D

Sounds completely reasonable to me :lol:

I had decided to reign in the spending in January too. We've got dentist appointments, college bills, and car repairs to pay for.

So far the only non-essential I can remember buying is two boxes of chocolate covered mint cookies, and a sheet of Christmas gift tag stickers from the Christmas clearance shelves. That's a total of $1.50.

I think I could mostly do this. DH put gas in his car, but other than that we haven't spent anything yet this year. However, we're taking DS3 ice skating tomorrow (with a coupon) and need to buy the rest of the stuff to finish the kids' TV-stand-turned-kitchen. It cost $65 to build a golf ball run, hoping this is cheaper. :glare:

*clapping hands* Yay...support!!!! I find that I behave MUCH better when I have to be accountable for my...er...trangressions. :lol:

And for those of you who asked if we can start tomorrow?? YES...you can start tomorrow. Or in the words of my alter ego, Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day." :D

Well, shoot! I was planning to post a very large middle school/high school lot on the For Sale board next week :) Maybe I should wait until February?!?

Didn't you see my first post. school related expenses are necessities and do not count in this no spend january business :D

We did something like this last year -- no going to the grocery store for 4 weeks. I stocked up on ultra pasteurized milk beforehand (we still ran out, two weeks in). The items we missed the most -- fresh produce. The veggie that lasted the longest during that time was cabbage. We ended up rationing our cabbage and using it on tacos and other things we wouldn't ordinarily think of. Anyhow - we saved a small fortune. I recommend doing this if you have a stocked pantry and are trying to save money.

We did something like this last year -- no going to the grocery store for 4 weeks. I stocked up on ultra pasteurized milk beforehand (we still ran out, two weeks in). The items we missed the most -- fresh produce. The veggie that lasted the longest during that time was cabbage. We ended up rationing our cabbage and using it on tacos and other things we wouldn't ordinarily think of. Anyhow - we saved a small fortune. I recommend doing this if you have a stocked pantry and are trying to save money.

Dana in OR:

We, too, can last quite a while on provisions we have stocked up on.

So, good idea.

Honey, I am going to IKEA tomorrow....

Can we do February? :D

I managed to spend all my Christmas money there myself. Does it count if I bought 2 tall bookshelves for the school room and an 8 square storage unit and 4 of the drawers to go in it? It's all for the schoolroom/playroom....

We are doing this! It is going to be tough. My 40th birthday is this month and I was looking forward to going out and celebrating. We need to detox off of having lived in Chicago for 2 years, we ate out all the time, we spent money insanely, mostly because we were so unhappy. We are super happy in the desert! So I am working hard to get the family back on track with our thrifty and homebody ways.

Waait we're not supposed to buy nuthin? I can't eat nuthin. And I need herbs and vitamins this week. (not to mention I already bought a couch this month):001_smile:

No, you can buy necessities. Food, medicine, gas. It's the wants...not the needs we're talking about. Although there seems to be a fine line with curriculum. Some folks around here seem to think it's up there with food and water on the "needs" list. :lol: ;)

No, you can buy necessities. Food, medicine, gas. It's the wants...not the needs we're talking about. Although there seems to be a fine line with curriculum. Some folks around here seem to think it's up there with food and water on the "needs" list. :lol: ;)

:leaving: I don't know *what* you are talking about :Angel_anim: