Menu

How do I prevent greasy hair?

I have hair that gets greasy usually by the second day of not taking a shower, and it is driving me nuts! During the summer it was terrible, I could barely go a day without washing my hair, and because I had bangs, it looked terrible. I would just get so frustrated I would put it up in a ponytail or bun so it wold not look greasy, but then my head would hurt from me constantly wearing it up. I have thought of chopping it to shoulder length, but I cannot part with my long hair, so I now keep it slightly below the shoulder blades.

I do not play with my hair, and I grew out my bangs to prevent greasy hair, althought it looks better, I still have a major problem with grease. Is there any legit, cheap or not so expensive way to prevent hair grease?

(Baby powder does not work for me, I already tried it and it made me look like I was graying.)

Advice is greatly needed and appreciated!!:bigear:

shower every day? :D

I can't go more than 24 hours either. Washing it is the only way.

Lol! I was told not to, but I find that is the only solution!:)

That would be my simple solution as well. :)

:lol:

Dd is close to your age, she has to wash her hair every day. Hopefully it won't be forever! Maybe get a style that you can blow dry quickly after your shower?

I can shower everyday, my hairstyle is simple, I have straight hair that requires little product, I am currently french brading my hair every few days and that helps prevent grease, sometimes...

I hope it doesn't last forever for your daughter and I!!:lol:

You might try experimenting with different shampoos. When my tween's hormones started causing her hair to be more greasy, we went through some different shampoos (although still a daily shower and hairwashing) before we found a good and inexpensive fit with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. It's $1.67 at Walmart and is kind of purplish-blue in color. It really helps with the grease.

It could be your shampoo and/or conditioner. The suggestion of keeping pillowcases and hairbrushes clean is also good.

Remember when washing your hair to completely and thoroughly wet the hair before applying any shampoo. Don't use too much shampoo and conditioner. Keep conditioner only on the lower part of the hair and not the scalp - unless you have a dry scalp.

Around here when a child seems to always have oily hair, I mention the wetting the hair down prior to add the shampoo. Once they start making sure the hair is saturated first, the hair is less oily. Rinsing thoroughly is important too. The final rinse before leaving the shower should be cooler water. It closes the hair shaft, some.

My hair is like that and I am 34 yrs old. My daughter looks greasy sometimes 12 hours after showering and washing it. I try to wash it everyday but don't always hop in the shower to do so. Due to extreme dry skin issues in the winter. So every other day I shampoo it in the kitchen sink and freshen myself up. It keeps my hair looking decent without the grease without causing my skin to dry out and crack as it is prone to do. THe only shampoo I have found to work for me is 2 in 1 head and shoulders. Everything else even if only shampoo no added condition leaves my hair looking greasy even right after I wash it.

All of these suggestions are wonderful and I really appreciate them, I have been cleaning my bed coverings, brushes and hats thoroughly which helps some, and I will look into different brands of shampoo. The Suave Clarifying Sampoo sounds good and as I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow, I will certainly look for it!

Thank you all, hopefully I will find a solution, if I have to wash my hair everyday, then so be it.:)

Thanks Helena, I will take a look at this, it may help on the days I don't have time to shower.:)

I take a shower at night and wash my hair in the morning in the kitchen sink. IOW, you don't have to wash your hair in the shower. :-)

If you have oily hair, the "cure" is daily washing. :)

You might consider waiting longer between washes. Shampoo actually strips your hair of its natural oils, so it compensates by producing more oil. People say that when you stop using shampoo, after a while, your hair will stop making so much oil. I have long straight hair and have not tried that yet, because I don't want to deal with the interim greasiness until it adjusts. Someday, though. :) I do manage to go about two days between washings, and sometimes I just use conditioner, which gets it mildly clean without stripping so much.

I agree with HappyMama and have heard that not washing is the best way to solve the problem. HOWEVER, I just can't do it!! This has been a life-long issue with me (I am going to be 43) -- sorry. I have 3 teen/tween daughters and they have this issue as well.

Unfortunately for us, it is hereditary. We get it from my dad. Not only is our hair greasy -- and gets that way quick -- it also has an odor. I must wash my hair every day. On the rare occasions that I don't, by the end of the 2nd day I can't stop scratching my head and I feel disgusting.

I've been told over and over to wash it less, but I can't get past the first 2 days to go any longer and find out if it actually works. I figure even if it does, what' would be the point -- I'd have gross hair for a few days so I could have decent hair one day. I might as well just wash every day.

My girls -- although they don't like it -- are all now showering and washing their (medium-lentgh) hair every day.

I FEEL YOUR STRUGGLES AND SYMPATHIZE!!

I have oily hair, and a dry scalp. Because life is kind like that LOL.

I wash my hair once a week with shampoo, and rinsing (with water) as necessary during that week - typically once a week, more during summer or rare spurts of athleticism.

We are the people who are supposed to be brushing our hair a million times a night, or whatever number it is. This distributes the oils to the ends, keeps it from coagulating at our scalp, and eventually reduces oil output. I brush my hair thoroughly at night before bed, and also quickly throughout the day if needed.

Braid your hair or wear a hat/'do rag during the transition. Deep winter and deep summer are excellent times to make the leap!

I have hair that tends toward oiliness, and I find that washing my face more frequently actually helps. I've figured out that a lot of the oil that ends up in my hair is from my face, and if I wash my face with a good cleanser morning and night and rinse it once or twice during the day, it helps keep my hair from getting as greasy, too.

Also, I agree with washing your hair less. I only wash my hair a couple times a week, and it's much less oily than it was when I was doing it almost every day.

I am able to go about 2 days in winter for not washing hair, and only 1 day during the summer of not washing my hair, so right now it is not too bad because I don't sweat as much.:)

The reccommendations are all appreciated and I will check them all out, and I get the greasy hair thing from my dad too.:tongue_smilie:

My hair has always been a 'grease pit' as my mother affectionately referred to it. It still is. I absolutely MUST wash my hair every day. I can't even wash in the evening and sleep on my hair. I'll wake up with a stringy, greasy mess. YUCK! My hair will likely look nice all day until late evening if I: blow dry and flat iron my hair that morning after washing.

I also go through periods where I cannot seem to get my hair clean. I was and wash and was and still isn't clean. It seems to coincide w/ high stress in my life but maybe that's just my interpretation. A clarifying shampoo really helps if you're washing and washing and it's still greasy. I don't use it everyday, maybe once a week-every other week. It's helped a lot.

I have used cornstarch on my hair to remove neosporin (had a lesion removed from scalp). This is really effective on breaking down the oil but didn't necessarily clean.

I have, due to illness, gone longer than a day between washings. I would NEVER voluntarily do so again. Firs thing I demanded when I got out of ICU was my hair washed. I didn't even care if it was a shower, just wash my hair!!!

My dd has oily hair. She needs to wash it every day. I have found that what helps greatly is once a week I wash her hair with Dawn dish detergent.

Sometimes, when she can't shower I use the dry shampoo. I have also used corn starch. I find the corn starch works better than the baby powder.

I have very oily, fine hair - once I hit 11th grade I found I had to wash it daily. Even then it sometimes looks oily 12 hours after washing it (then I wash it in the am so I can at least get one day). Try difference shampoos, condition only the ends if you must.

Also, keeping highlights, hair color (lighter color), or perms in my hair dried the hair out which balanced the oiliness. These processes are nice because I don't have to do something every day. Currently, I have my hair highlighted about every 3 months. Color has to be re-done every month and the roots are more noticeable.

Also, I noticed years ago, in Germany, that women had a schedule for their hair. Wear it down when it is clean and pretty (maybe only 1 day for really oily), when it begins to look oily fancy braid it (day 2?), and after that wear it completely up (day 3?). Then wash and repeat. In your shoes, I would shower and "water wash" your hair on the non shampoo days. I noticed many women washed their hair only once a week.

Good luck! You are stuck living in a "clean" culture. Many Europeans think we are nuts!

Sandra

Sandra

I have very oily, fine hair - once I hit 11th grade I found I had to wash it daily. Even then it sometimes looks oily 12 hours after washing it (then I wash it in the am so I can at least get one day). Try difference shampoos, condition only the ends if you must.

Also, keeping highlights, hair color (lighter color), or perms in my hair dried the hair out which balanced the oiliness. These processes are nice because I don't have to do something every day. Currently, I have my hair highlighted about every 3 months. Color has to be re-done every month and the roots are more noticeable.

Also, I noticed years ago, in Germany, that women had a schedule for their hair. Wear it down when it is clean and pretty (maybe only 1 day for really oily), when it begins to look oily fancy braid it (day 2?), and after that wear it completely up (day 3?). Then wash and repeat. In your shoes, I would shower and "water wash" your hair on the non shampoo days. I noticed many women washed their hair only once a week.

Good luck! You are stuck living in a "clean" culture. Many Europeans think we are nuts!

Sandra

Sandra

I like the way the women in Germany do this, I have done this and had no idea it was part of that "culture". Thank you for sharing, and I think the Europeans are the ones who are nuts sometimes!!:lol: