Menu

Gluten free folks--talk to me about milk products

If you are gluten free--how do you know whether to go lactose free?

Background: I've been eating gluten-free foods since the end of November. It's been great! My health problems of the last twenty years are just going away. But: I had not experimented with flours all that much. I've been eating mostly fruit, veggies, potatoes and grilled or pan-seared meats. I have also been eating cheese, which has never seemed to bother me. But, the other night I made a cream gravy for some steaks using tapioca flour and whole milk. (It was great--much better than the gravy I tried with rice flour.) But my GI tract was greatly, greatly upset with it, almost as bad as I've ever been when I was not gluten free.

Question: Do I need to go lactose free? (Please say I can have my cheese! I don't care about the milk, but I love my cheese!)

OR

Could there have been gluten issues with the whole milk? This was a brand-name milk, and I did not check to see if it had been processed in a gluten-free facility. I honestly didn't think about that being an issue with milk.

I always thought I had a problem with dairy. Now, I've been gluten free since May, and I realize it's only certain dairy that causes me problems. I can seem to eat hard cheeses and some yogurt with no problem. Soft cheeses, ice cream and milk cause me to have problems. I'm still experimenting with the dairy, but I think I'm going to cut way down on dairy. Goat cheese does not seem to cause any problems, though.

Neither of my GF/Celiac kiddos have dairy issues. I've never heard of Gluten issues with milk or cheese except blue cheese or ones that have a crust/covering (ex. shredded cheese often has flour to keep it from clumping).

I however can no longer handle things like cream (ice cream/soft cheeses/milk) in large amounts. So we tend not to drink milk (use almond milk or coconut water/milk).

I've never heard of Gluten issues with milk or cheese except blue cheese or ones that have a crust/covering (ex. shredded cheese often has flour to keep it from clumping).

Good to know about the shredded cheese.

That's also good to know about the milk. Given how milk is processed I could not picture gluten getting into it via contamination.

But given how I reacted from last night--I'm pretty sure I'll not be doing a gravy again any time soon. Oh, well. Pan sauce is good.