Menu

Would enrolling dd mid-way in BJU Online be wise??

i have read so many threads about boys being like this, but not girls!

i am exhausted trying to motivate her and try to instill self-discipline in her.

she simply wants to get her school day over as quickly as she can. she could care less about anything to do with school.

dh thinks she needs to be pushed more-so do i-but *i* cannot be the one to do that. i have tried to the point of crying myself to sleep, and living in a complete state of stress.

i do not know what to do.

It sounds like you are very very frustrated. I would be also. :grouphug:

If I was in your position I would seriously consider enrolling dd in BJU online. Is she currently already doing BJ or would it be completely new? She would have 13 months from the time you purchased to complete the work (I think that's correct). Would she be willing to work through the summer?

Hope you find a good solution!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I know where you are at..... frustrated, want to hand it off. A steady diet of BJU, and coming in mid year has the potential to be pretty bad. You really can't start in the middle (and I wouldn't want that after paying a whole year). And it is very counter productive to do school through the summer, you do burn out.

Why don't you post what she did first semester (classes and curriculum), and her response to it. I bet the hive could come up with a great second semester! I have gotten so many great recommendations from the hive when things we were doing here weren't that great. In fact, my dd, who hated literature, now wants to be an English major!! All because we got a good fit with curriculum that allowed her to discover her love of literature. So, a good fit for curriculum at home helps greatly. Also, my involvement helped as well.... she was unnerved thinking she had to do everything by herself.

i have read so many threads about boys being like this, but not girls!

i am exhausted trying to motivate her and try to instill self-discipline in her.

she simply wants to get her school day over as quickly as she can. she could care less about anything to do with school.

dh thinks she needs to be pushed more-so do i-but *i* cannot be the one to do that. i have tried to the point of crying myself to sleep, and living in a complete state of stress.

i do not know what to do.

:grouphug: My dd16 is a lot like your daughter. :grouphug:

I know where you are at..... frustrated, want to hand it off. A steady diet of BJU, and coming in mid year has the potential to be pretty bad. You really can't start in the middle (and I wouldn't want that after paying a whole year). And it is very counter productive to do school through the summer, you do burn out.

Why don't you post what she did first semester (classes and curriculum), and her response to it. I bet the hive could come up with a great second semester! I have gotten so many great recommendations from the hive when things we were doing here weren't that great. In fact, my dd, who hated literature, now wants to be an English major!! All because we got a good fit with curriculum that allowed her to discover her love of literature. So, a good fit for curriculum at home helps greatly. Also, my involvement helped as well.... she was unnerved thinking she had to do everything by herself.

:iagree:

you are correct!! i am frustrated and i do want to hand her schooling off.:crying::blushing: i love her to death, but i don't feel like i can do this.

i am so embarrassed to disclose her curriculum as this is, well, such a rigorous forum. in addition, i feel like a total flake. i post, i whine, then leave. repeat.:o but, here goes...

Math-

Math Relief's Algebra 1-she's on the 22nd lesson of phase 1 and is doing well. finally!! off to a late start, but doing well. no tears, gaining her confidence back.

Science-

Apologia's Physical Science-only 5 lessons in....(we dropped Monarch's -SOS's online version- Physical Science due to their crazy disorganization.) she likes Apologia now that she has found a way to use it. i should note, that she is able to read one entire module in one-two days. we've had to set up a system that forces her to slow down.

English-

-Total Language Plus-using the 8th and 9th grade recs. right now she is doing her 2nd unit. i have her do the reading comprehension(which is the WORST part of our day), spelling, vocabulary and *some* writing-mostly personal opinion-like papers. i am supposed to be reading to her, but she HATES that. yesterday i threw in the towel and told her she can read it by herself, but, she would need to narrate what she reads. today she read a chapter(Anne of Green Gables) in less than FIVE minutes and her narration was,"they were disappointed that she wasn't a girl. she doesn't want to return to the orphanage." i asked her to elaborate and she shut down.

-Write Shop 1-she thinks this is babyish, but her writing is improving- she is only on lesson 4.( i kid you not, i am on a first name basis with Deb and Kim-they are THE best.)

-Step-by-Step Grammar 1. (dropped EGP)

-she is also reading through the Chronicals of Narnia.(sp)

Social Science

-A.C.E. Geography along with books-one for each PACE. this is her get-r-done part of the day and i don't care.;)

Electives-

-Monarch's Speech

-Logic(Fallacy Detective)

-Civics-making my own or using Monarch's

OKAY-

-- this year she started with SL core 100. dropped it. i LOATHE the IG and didn't think that rushing through so many books was helping dd in the area of comprehension. it also wasn't until we were several weeks in, that i realized that for many dc, SL's LA(especially the writing component) only works if they have been with SL each year-which we haven't. she was lost. i was lost. she would NOT discuss the books with me at all-she completely shuts down. it was a big failure. thus the reason why so much has changed.

My dd16 is a lot like your daughter. :grouphug:

really?? please PM me and tell me what you do to survive and what schoolwork does she use??:grouphug::grouphug:

I have dd11 who was just like this. We spent many days fighting and crying over her school work. I also was at a point of just giving up. We have made some major changes and this has made a huge difference. What is her complaint with the curriculum she is using? What are the struggles she is having?

English-

-Total Language Plus-using the 8th and 9th grade recs. right now she is doing her 2nd unit. i have her do the reading comprehension(which is the WORST part of our day), spelling, vocabulary and *some* writing-mostly personal opinion-like papers. i am supposed to be reading to her, but she HATES that. yesterday i threw in the towel and told her she can read it by herself, but, she would need to narrate what she reads. today she read a chapter(Anne of Green Gables) in less than FIVE minutes and her narration was,"they were disappointed that she wasn't a girl. she doesn't want to return to the orphanage." i asked her to elaborate and she shut down.

-Write Shop 1-she thinks this is babyish, but her writing is improving- she is only on lesson 4.( i kid you not, i am on a first name basis with Deb and Kim-they are THE best.)

It sounds like you have her back on track for everything except English. DD15 and I typically change a few curriculum mid-year when things need tweeking. There's no shame in that - it sounds like you're working very hard (and successfully) to find what fits her learning style and needs.

Since she doesn't want to talk to you about Literature, can you outsource that class? Maybe just get that class from BJU or find an online class?

There was a recent thread recommending these online literature classes:

http://www.captivethoughttutorials.com/cs-lewis-course/

I haven't used Total Language Plus, but I purchased one of their guides to review and I didn't like how long they spent on each book. It seemed slow.

How about Lightening Lit or Smarr guides instead of Total Language? I haven't used those yet, but we'll be using Smarr next year with an online class.

If you want a "get 'er done" curriculum for English, I like Christian Light Education. For High School, they spend one semester on Reading and one semester on Grammar - though there's not much writing instruction. It looks like Lightening Lit includes writing instruction along with literature, but not grammar. I think BJU would include all three (lit, grammar & writing).

you are correct!! i am frustrated and i do want to hand her schooling off.:crying::blushing: i love her to death, but i don't feel like i can do this.

i am so embarrassed to disclose her curriculum as this is, well, such a rigorous forum. in addition, i feel like a total flake. i post, i whine, then leave. repeat.:o but, here goes...

Math-

Math Relief's Algebra 1-she's on the 22nd lesson of phase 1 and is doing well. finally!! off to a late start, but doing well. no tears, gaining her confidence back.

Science-

Apologia's Physical Science-only 5 lessons in....(we dropped Monarch's -SOS's online version- Physical Science due to their crazy disorganization.) she likes Apologia now that she has found a way to use it. i should note, that she is able to read one entire module in one-two days. we've had to set up a system that forces her to slow down.

English-

Social Science

-A.C.E. Geography along with books-one for each PACE. this is her get-r-done part of the day and i don't care.;)

Electives-

-Monarch's Speech

-Logic(Fallacy Detective)

-Civics-making my own or using Monarch's

OKAY-

-- this year she started with SL core 100. dropped it. i LOATHE the IG and didn't think that rushing through so many books was helping dd in the area of comprehension. it also wasn't until we were several weeks in, that i realized that for many dc, SL's LA(especially the writing component) only works if they have been with SL each year-which we haven't. she was lost. i was lost. she would NOT discuss the books with me at all-she completely shuts down. it was a big failure. thus the reason why so much has changed.

really?? please PM me and tell me what you do to survive and what schoolwork does she use??:grouphug::grouphug:

Cass,

I don't think you are doing poorly. Nope, not at all. (pssss I'm not rigorous either, we do work hard, but are not doing what a lot of others here are doing, I work very hard to match curriculum to ability). And you have had to jump ship curriculum wise a few times, and are still plugging along. Don't forget to count what you did in the other curriculum and don't repeat what you already did. And 9th grade, oh my, attitude, attitude, attitude. My dd is 12th grade, and things went much better by 10th grade. In 10th grade, dd figured out that colleges would be seeing what she was doing, and she was way more motivated. I tell people, 9th grade isn't that big of a deal. You still have three more years. 9th grade was at junior high when I was growing up... And do let your dd help pick her classes and curriculum. She will feel more a part of it.

I'm assuming you are schooling 9th grade, if I'm wrong, correct me. Apologia's Physical Science gets hard at the end (at least we thought so). Dd didn't do modules 13-16, so if you are through #5, you only have seven more, and your dd reads fast (mine does not). Fallacy Detective is great, put Thinking Toolbox with it and you have 1 credit of Intro. Logic. Or do Fallacy for 1/2 credit. We did Traditional Logic, dd did great, but a few months after she completed it, she looked at it and didn't remember a thing she did (hormones are just great aren't they)...... so your book(s) are better in my view. Other fine women here told me to have some "dig deep" classes, and some "get 'er done" classes. Nothing wrong with plowing through a few classes that are not your cup of tea.

My dd just read books of her choice in 9th grade. And she did BJU Writing/Grammar (no dvds). If your grammar program is working, stay with it. It looks like Write Shop is ok??

Again, the wonderful ladies here told me about Scott Foresman Literature, it took dd from hating literature (BJU and A Beka) to wanting to be an English major. If I had known about SF, I would have used it all four years of high school for BOTH kids (ds is in college now). No joke, the American (last year) and English literature books are that good. I got the student textbook and teacher's edition's both for under $20 used. You should be able to turn up the ISBN's if you do a search on this forum.

Your math looks fine, if you find you don't have enough teaching, we LOVED BJU Algebra 1 with dvds (or online option). That teacher is amazing and took math from being a nightmare to non-issue.

I know others that didn't like SL100, so you are not alone. I see seven classes you are doing? Algebra 1, Physical Science, English, Geography, Speech, Logic, and Civics?? You could probably get rid of one of the electives, maybe civics? All of that is covered in 12th grade government. Another traditional 9th grade class is keyboarding and basic knowledge of computer programs. If your dd can type well, and knows how to work Word and Power Point, then you have a credit if your dd can produce a project or two. My dd makes Power Points to help her study and types all her papers in Word. There you go! (And you can then ditch another elective that your dd doesn't like). Six classes for 9th grade is plenty IMHO. And one of ours was PE. :)

Hope this helps! Hang in there!

If your dd doesn't want to discuss books with you, would she answer the questions in a written format (sentences or a short paragraph)? Maybe you could email her the questions you want her to answer and she could email her answers back to you. It might seem a little more fun to her that way.

You could try the BJU English/Comp online for the spring semester. You will get a taste for the way their courses are structured, and your daughter will get a feel for someone else's pacing. (Sometimes kids just need to find out that Mom is not crazy. Other teachers make kids work. :001_smile:)

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Writing---Grammar-9-Online-and-Books____2243740

At any rate, it's a one semester course so it would be completely doable.

(BJU High School English is one semester of literature and one semester of Grammar/Composition.)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey