Menu

Chemistry for 4th grade. What do y'all recommend?

I'm getting ready to put together my chem plans and I have found the Fizz, Bubble, Flash: A guide to the periodic table is a great book! You could easily go through this in the summer or take about ten weeks in the fall. WTM also has several other suggestions for chemistry that with some work would be great. The other thought I had was Ellen McHenry's: The elements. Your son's on the young end for it, so I would take a look at it first, but it seems interesting.

We used God's Design for Chemistry this year. I stocked a kitchen cabinet with the supplies we would need at the beginning of the year so we would actually DO the experiments. It was fine. Lots of info, we skipped molecular bonding concepts ( I don't remember having that until high school) and the kids had fun with the hands on stuff.

It's available through Rainbow. There are two books with 35 lessons in each book. We did 2/week but skipped at least 10 of them altogether.

I'm getting ready to put together my chem plans and I have found the Fizz, Bubble, Flash: A guide to the periodic table is a great book!
This book is part of the NOEO Science Chemistry II Set. http://www.noeoscience.com/chemII.html

Here's the NOEO Science Chemistry I set: http://www.noeoscience.com/chemI.html

It looks very interesting as well! My dd turned 11 in March. She did the Christian Kids Explore Chemistry this year and LOVED it! Next year she's doing the NOEO Chem. II.

RS4K is a great chemistry program for that grade. My dh, who has a PhD in chemistry, thought it was fantastic as well. It goes deep with the subjects, but presents it in a way that is easily understood.

If you want to spread it out over an entire school year, you can add in more reading and experiments with Adventures in Molecules.

We're studying Chemistry now. I call it my Hodge-Podge Chemistry Study because I'm using a variety of things. I have some of the things that we are using listed on my blog, if you are interested in seeing the list.

I did want to share this link with you all:

http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html

This is Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" - if you haven't seen it, hurry!! You'll love it. It's not a curriculum, just a fun something that my boys are really enjoying.

We used Noeo Chem 2 this past year with a small group and have enjoyed it. I am on the Noeo yahoo loop and suggest it for those looking for both more info, but also the occasional great deal on used packages. We will be trying Elements this year, just for a fun way to keep the information percolating! Even if you don't follow the Noeo curriculum, the have some great book ideas you could get from the library, etc.

TFJ

I would certainly look at NOEO. Even if you dont use their complete curriculum, they have some good book ideas. Look at both level 1 and 2 for suggestions. My personal experience using Noeo chem 2 with 6th and 3rd was not too positive. Chemistry by its very nature is abstract. My very hands on, concrete thinking 6th grader did not like it at all. It was a bit overload for my 3rd grader - but she was technically "too young" for chem 2 anyway. I loved it! I thought it was the neatest program I have ever seen for science!! It just didnt fit too well for us. I am however, using some of the books next year for my rising 4th grader

These are recommended in WTM and we loved them. Supplement these with some of the other books. I loved the experiments - they are available in so many different "kids science" books, but these have reasons for why things happen at the molecular level that are simple enough to understand for 4th grade.

MY child is doing homeschool for first time this year and we are splitting and doing half a year of chemistry and a half a year of physics. He loves both so much.

For chemistry, we are using Super Science Concoctions and then checking out books that relate to the topic as they come up.

Next year, I will use Fizz, Bubble, and Flash for the chemistry program.

Both are Kids Can books and together make a good chemistry curriculum. I find them easy to understand and they give a decent amount of lesson as well as able to do something hands on daily.