Menu

Maths for a math-y 10yo

GypsieFamily

I have a ten year old that is quite math-y and really enjoys it. He prefers something that he can self-pace and technology based. Mathletics does reasonably well, but I need something that doesn't rely on the internet as our internet access is haphazard.

He did well with MUS, and I'm thinking something similar at the upper levels might be suitable. Not sure if I want to continue with MUS though. Any suggestions of other curriculum to look at?

I have a ten year old that is quite math-y and really enjoys it. He prefers something that he can self-pace and technology based. Mathletics does reasonably well, but I need something that doesn't rely on the internet as our internet access is haphazard.

He did well with MUS, and I'm thinking something similar at the upper levels might be suitable. Not sure if I want to continue with MUS though. Any suggestions of other curriculum to look at?

It would really help if you gave more information as to his current level. "Mathy" 10 yr old can mean different things to different people. It can mean anything from elementary level abilities to high school level. ;)

FWIW, my older kids have completed MUS's alg and geometry anywhere from 5th-7th grade. I consider them the equivalent of pre-alg/pre-geo and follow them with more difficult texts.

For high school level maths:

Art of Problem Solving is an excellent choice for kids that really like to think through math problems and discover the relationships and whys. AoPS also has texts covering non-standard sequence topics like counting/probability and number theory. They also have a new pre-alg book, but I don't know anything about it personally. There are numerous posts on the forum by people that are using it w/ younger kids.

Foerster is my personal favorite for kids that need or want more direct instruction.

HTH