Menu

Apologia Biology - Copy drawings?

Guest msweig

Guest msweig

I downloaded Donna Young's schedule for Apologia Biology and noticed that it assigns drawings. I'm guessing that means to copy the drawings from the textbook. Does anyone do that? What's the benefit? I haven't found anything about it in the textbook.

Thank you,

Marge

It aids a student to learn the parts of _____ better. I also had my biology students make models of cells which were all very interesting (and one was very YUMMY!). They will need to be able to identify these things in later courses as well as if they are homeschool parents one day :D

Anyway, I highly suggest it. I'm sure you've heard of Anatomy and Geography coloring books? It's much the same idea :) Just another way to learn the material :)

to copy the drawings, or at least some of the key ones from each chapter.

Also, there is a set of coloring books available for biology. They're not officially associated with Apologia's books, but they are available for use and I think (but am not certain) that Donna Young may be the one who recommended these.

They are the Biology Coloring Book, the Zoology Coloring Book, and the Botany Coloring Book. I think it's actually the Zoology and Botany books that are recommended by Donna Young. They are a bit complex, but some of the pictures are very helpful.

I think having your student actually complete some of the drawings and label them neatly assists with memorization of the material.

I had my students copy some but not all of the diagrams in biology. Having the student recreate the diagram in their notes forces the student to really analyze and work through the information in the diagram. These are not miscellaneous charts or graphs. The Krebs cycle, for instance, or sexual/asexual reproduction can be confusing. Drawing the diagrams is another study skill. And then drawing the dissections is part of the lab notebook.

HTH!

Lisa