Menu

Question about Mormons and Christianity

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popcorn popping on the apricot tree?!

:D Its my primary 'littles' favorite song, the evil magic children that they are :lol:. That and "Once there was a Snowman" who we grow and then melt, lol. They looooove it.

I only get to jump in periodically, but most of the time other posters have already covered things. I hate to post the same things right under them, lol.

I too enjoy nice discussions.

Edited by CountryGirl2

I think something else that should be understood, is that LDS don't believe that our souls were only created when we were concieved, but, rather, we existed with our Father in Heaven prior to birth here on earth. We don't believe in creation "from nothing", but that our spirits are eternal, and also that matter is eternal, and has been "formed" into the world we now live on. (just as a sculptor would say he "created" a work of art, although of course it wasn't from nothing. he merely added form to pre-existing material)

I share this, because it might help offer insight into some of our other doctrines, such as how we believe that Jesus Christ is also Eternal, even if not the same "being" as God the Father in the Trinitarian sense of the word. I think some traditional Christians have the mistaken understanding that "Well, if LDS believe He's not also God the Father, then that must mean He was created, because God only is not created", and that's a misunderstanding that I believe is born from the differences in our doctrine of creation (not talking about the age of the earth here ;) ). LDS belief is that our Spirits are eternal and have always existed. Jesus Christ has always "existed". He wasn't created. Now how can we be eternal but God's children? Well, that's something that we'll probably understand when we cross the veil to the other side (LDS have their own "mysteries").

It can be hard to keep up, all right. I have to go find some shoes and take ds to his seminary class, and I just KNOW by the time I get back all kinds of interesting discussion will have taken place without me. That's almost as bad as someone being wrong on the internet.:lol:

FWIW, I always go back and read the past posts in a discussion like this, and I imagine others do too, so your posts would probably not be overlooked even if they are three pages back. I vote that you go ahead and write it up, toss it out there, and see what happens.

And I'll see you people again in an hour and a half or so. Try not to get too interesting without me.

Y'all, I was at lunch with my hubby and kept wanting to check a page here and there to see how the discussion was going ;). Hubby and I were sharing the discussion on the way out there. He was interested in it too. At one point though during lunch he started carrying on a conversation with himself, :glare: :D...I put the phone away...But got it out in the car :lol:

Y'all, I was at lunch with my hubby and kept wanting to check a page here and there to see how the discussion was going ;). Hubby and I were sharing the discussion on the way out there. He was interested in it too. At one point though during lunch he started carrying on a conversation with himself, :glare: :D...I put the phone away...But got it out in the car :lol:

:lol: I spent a few minutes contemplating the possibility of taking my tablet thingy down to the park where there's an internet hotspot while ds was in class, but decided it would be more responsible to spend the time planning menus and filling out some insurance paperwork (grr...). And if I'm honest I must confess to a few rounds of Sudoku as well...lol. But I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that there were only three new pages when I got back. I thought I might have ten pages to wade through. :)

I share this, because it might help offer insight into some of our other doctrines, such as how we believe that Jesus Christ is also Eternal, even if not the same "being" as God the Father in the Trinitarian sense of the word. I think some traditional Christians have the mistaken understanding that "Well, if LDS believe He's not also God the Father, then that must mean He was created, because God only is not created", and that's a misunderstanding that I believe is born from the differences in our doctrine of creation (not talking about the age of the earth here ;) ). LDS belief is that our Spirits are eternal and have always existed. Jesus Christ has always "existed". He wasn't created. Now how can we be eternal but God's children? Well, that's something that we'll probably understand when we cross the veil to the other side (LDS have their own "mysteries").

And supposing you're wrong. Suppose that LDS have the view of God completely wrong, my universalist tendencies say who cares? I can't imagine people spending an eternity in a lake of fire because they had incorrect notions about the nature of God. As Eliza Snow would say, the thought makes reason stare.

:lol: I spent a few minutes contemplating the possibility of taking my tablet thingy down to the park where there's an internet hotspot while ds was in class, but decided it would be more responsible to spend the time planning menus and filling out some insurance paperwork (grr...). And if I'm honest I must confess to a few rounds of Sudoku as well...lol. But I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that there were only three new pages when I got back. I thought I might have ten pages to wade through. :)

Yeah, we're home now so here I sit in my bed with my laptop being a bum :tongue_smilie:...I really need to get my sons afghan out and finish putting on the last row...but I've also got to head out and feed the horses, lambs and calf. I keep menus made too. I like having it planned out. Dh is just excited that we'll be eating more homemade bread again...he bought me a Nutrimill for Christmas and so now my wheat can get properly rotated :001_smile:

:D Its my primary 'littles' favorite song, the evil magic children that they are :lol:. That and "Once there was a Snowman" who we grow and then melt, lol. They looooove it.

I only get to jump in periodically, but most of the time other posters have already covered things. I hate to post the same things right under them, lol.

I too enjoy nice discussions.

Favorite here too. My 3 yo who is now in Primary (we don't have sunbeams in our branch) instead of nursery was so happy to sing it on Sunday.

Here's part of an article that teaches why Christians do not consider Mormons Christians...

And I certainly do not wish to get into a debate or attack nice Mormon ladies on this forums...I'm just explaining why. I don't even usually post over here but was looking for info on Mitt so I opened this thread. :001_smile:

One thing you might find interesting from a political perspective is that there are several passages in the Doctrine and Covenants (which we consider to be scripture) that indicate that God had a hand in establishing the United States Constitution and raising up the honorable men who took part in that endeavor. The Consitution is generally regarded with great respect amongst LDS people in general--not on the level of scripture, but certainly as and inspired document and something to be protected and maintained.

Again, I don't want to make this thread overly political, and I certainly don't speak for Mr. Romney, but if this is Romney-related curiosity then this is a relevant snippet of info about general LDS beliefs and probably more useful in evaluating a presidential candidate than some other items of Mormon trivia. So I thought I'd toss it out there. :)

Yeah, we're home now so here I sit in my bed with my laptop being a bum :tongue_smilie:...I really need to get my sons afghan out and finish putting on the last row...but I've also got to head out and feed the horses, lambs and calf. I keep menus made too. I like having it planned out. Dh is just excited that we'll be eating more homemade bread again...he bought me a Nutrimill for Christmas and so now my wheat can get properly rotated :001_smile:

Yeah...I should probably be grocery shopping. I don't feel like grocery shopping. I feel like whining. In spite of the fact that I went back to bed after breakfast and had a good long snooze, I"m really, really tired. I blame it on trying to gestate and be old at the same time. :) And speaking of old, it's getting so if my menus aren't planned in advance I have no idea what to make for any given meal. I don't assign the meals to actual days, I like to choose as I go along based on how much time I have and how I'm feeling (especially lately...lol). But if I don't have at least a list of 7 breakfasts, lunches and suppers to choose from, and know the ingredients are on hand, it's REALLY hard to get motivated to cook.

And congrats on the Nutrimill. :001_smile:

Yeah, but just think how much better a job you could do at writing my long piece up there! :001_smile: Come on, you know you want to. Besides I have to go out soon.

I thought you did fine. Especially since the person who posted it only asked for something brief. You know me, once I start I can't keep it brief...lol.

I'm dragging my feet at making a shopping list from my menus....

I think I am an opposite of most. I started out believing that the LDS church was Christian, but the more and more I learned about it (from LDS members) the more I felt very convinced that the church in not Christian. I do believe individuals within the LDS church can be Christians, just as of any denomination.

I thought you did fine. Especially since the person who posted it only asked for something brief. You know me, once I start I can't keep it brief...lol.

I'm dragging my feet at making a shopping list from my menus....

Tell you what you can write my talk for Sunday!

You people are NOT doing a good job of giving me an exuse to procrastinate my grocery shopping. :angry:

Well obviously we need to start something truly controversial. Anyone up for a debate as to whether or not carrot chunks belong in green jello?:lol:

Seems like in all the matter of what people's opinions are (everyone has an opinion, a navel, etc.) or what different church leaders say, there is another aspect which is overlooked. Do people's diverse opinions infuse themselves into the Bible, as to what a Christian is? or would it be preferable for people's impressions and opinions to be informed and guided by what the Bible has to say on the matter of what a Christian is?

The problem w/ saying that one should look to the bible is that everyone and their neighbor "interprets" the bible differently. That's why we have Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, etc, etc. :001_smile:

Well obviously we need to start something truly controversial. Anyone up for a debate as to whether or not carrot chunks belong in green jello?:lol:

Only finely shredded ones! And they look much better in orange jello. White grapefruit goes in green.

White grapefruit :001_huh: Surely you speak blasphemy!

:lol::lol::lol:

As long as it's not tuna fish. :confused: Truly I wonder what some people are thinking.

Only finely shredded ones! And they look much better in orange jello. White grapefruit goes in green.

Heretic! Green Jell-o is consecrated for use with mini marshmallows ONLY! :lol:

(but yes, only *shredded* carrots in orange jello. Along with raisins. :D )

The problem w/ saying that one should look to the bible is that everyone and their neighbor "interprets" the bible differently. That's why we have Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, etc, etc. :001_smile:

So, as the person who started this thread, do you feel like your question was sufficiently answered?

Anathema! Green Jello requires cottage cheese and pineapple. You can go off and start your own marshmallow sect.

When she does, we'll have to make sure that everyone knows she's the MMIGJ-LDS (mini marshmallows in green jello). We can't have things getting confusing for all the non green jello eaters out there. They would probably try to lump us all into one category.

First of all I want to thank everyone for responding here, and to those who pm'd me. A quick note to Lisbeth: I hope you didn't think my original question was some hidden, passive-aggressive attack on your beliefs. I have always considered LDS to be christian, and it was my friend's comment to me that had me shell-shocked into wanting "truthful ammunition" to correct her misconceptions.

Secondly, my aplogies if I offended anyone by referring to you as Mormons, and not LDS. Thank you for clearing that up. I have no doubt that when I next see my Jewish friends, they will think I have been possessed, because I will be doubled over in uncontrollable laughter at the thought of them being Moseses. :lol:

I have more to say, but am being hounded by a bored teen, so I'll have to come back later. Just wanted to make sure I thanked everyone just in case it turned and was locked or deleted before I make it back. :D

When she does, we'll have to make sure that everyone knows she's the MMIGJ-LDS (mini marshmallows in green jello). We can't have things getting confusing for all the non green jello eaters out there. They would probably try to lump us all into one category.

Me and my multiple marshmallows. :lol:

OP: So sorry about this derailment. :tongue_smilie:

First of all I want to thank everyone for responding here, and to those who pm'd me. A quick note to Lisbeth: I hope you didn't think my original question was some hidden, passive-aggressive attack on your beliefs. I have always considered LDS to be christian, and it was my friend's comment to me that had me shell-shocked into wanting "truthful ammunition" to correct her misconceptions.

Secondly, my aplogies if I offended anyone by referring to you as Mormons, and not LDS. Thank you for clearing that up. I have no doubt that when I next see my Jewish friends, they will think I have been possessed, because I will be doubled over in uncontrollable laughter at the thought of them being Moseses. :lol:

I have more to say, but am being hounded by a bored teen, so I'll have to come back later. Just wanted to make sure I thanked everyone just in case it turned and was locked or deleted before I make it back. :D

I really don't know any level-headed LDS person who would be offended at being referred to as Mormon. It is, simply, the way the vast majority of the US population (and probably other nations' populations) identify us. We do *prefer* to be referred to as LDS, but it's not because the name "Mormon" offends us. :)

Y'all, jello only goes in that fluffy sweet salad stuff that people make for holidays and potlucks. That I can eat. I'm not a big jello fan at all and orange jello...ugh. I only think carrots and raisins belong in carrot cake, carrot salad, carrot cake muffins slathered with cream cheese frosting :D.

I plan on doing a little shopping tomorrow. I am trying to do some rotating of food storage dry goods and stuff from my two large freezers, so mostly I'm only buying fresh things.

I'm like you mama sheep, I have to have ideas on hand. I have a lot of ingredients...I think I overwhelm myself :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I never thought you had some kind of passive aggressive secret agenda. I have wondered about other posters (might have been on another thread, I don't think it was this one) but like I said, I'm not about to start trying to judge it on the internet. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Also, I doubt any of us were even slightly offended by calling us Mormon. Please don't worry about it either.

Me and my multiple marshmallows. :lol:

OP: So sorry about this derailment. :tongue_smilie:

Xuzi, I must correct you. Green jello is consecrated only for pears. Orange jello is strictly shredded carrots, but absolutely no raisins!

No apology necessary, obviously. :D

Tell you what you can write my talk for Sunday!

Oh talks...the thing that many people run from, lol. Our ward has maybe 50-60 people attending regularly. Many of those will. not. speak...I'm not one of them, but luckily the bishopric arrange special speakers fairly regularly to help those of us who get called on a bit.

THe last time I did a major speaking assignment was with the stake. The High Councilman brother called me to speak. The weekend after camp!!!!!!!!!! I was like, seriously Bro. ________? I just got back from camp and I am the director...and we had some stressfull issues that week. Yep, he was serious... That's ok, I brought one I had prepared earlier that year for our ward. It fell right into the topic that he gave me and he was so glad I gave it. Probably because his wife told him no after watching all the grandbabies while some of her girls were away at camp as leaders, lol ;).

Oh talks...the thing that many people run from, lol. Our ward has maybe 50-60 people attending regularly. Many of those will. not. speak...I'm not one of them, but luckily the bishopric arrange special speakers fairly regularly to help those of us who get called on a bit.

THe last time I did a major speaking assignment was with the stake. The High Councilman brother called me to speak. The weekend after camp!!!!!!!!!! I was like, seriously Bro. ________? I just got back from camp and I am the director...and we had some stressfull issues that week. Yep, he was serious... That's ok, I brought one I had prepared earlier that year for our ward. It fell right into the topic that he gave me and he was so glad I gave it. Probably because his wife told him no after watching all the grandbabies while some of her girls were away at camp as leaders, lol ;).

You poor thing. Sometimes men make me laugh. He was probably like, "Camping isn't that hard. You bring a pot and carry your dehydrated food and use a hole in the ground." That's men camping. GIRL's camp has to be good!

Oh and I LOOOOOOOVE giving talks. Love, love, love. But in the SEVEN years I've been married, I've only had to give one. Talk about a major disappointment

LOL! I actually like talking I just tend to procrastinate writing them up. Public speaking was an easy A for me. I always went first as then I got it over with and could sit back and relax. Glad you had a talk already, dh was on the high council so he has several, he pulled one out on Sunday and modified for this Sunday.

Yes, I do, and I appreciate all the time you have all put into it. Thank you!

Glad to hear you felt the answers were sufficient. Obviously there's a lot of detail that can be gotten into (lol) and it's hard to know sometimes just how much information a questioner really wants to have to sort through. :)

I got side-tracked by a cranky child with math homework--dd is in ps this year and thinks that in order for math to have happened it must have been observed by an adult. :glare:

I don't think I know any LDS people who would be offended at being called "Mormon". Mormon was a really great guy, and not one I, personally mind being associated with. But it's not like we "worship" Mormon or something, and I do think that LDS is a bit more accurate. But really, Mormon is not offensive. (I do have to admit a mild pet-peeve about people misspelling it as "Morman", though...but I suspect that's a "personal problem"...lol...)

And I don't think I can put off the grocery trip any longer, so I'm leaving before I accidentally put my foot in someone's Jello salad. Although, that would make subsequently putting my foot in my mouth, as I'm almost certain to do at some point, much more pleasant. Unless it's the one with the tuna fish. I swear it exists, I witnessed it myself at a pot-luck shortly after moving to Utah. To add insult to injury there was mayo on it as topping. It has officially made my list of reasons never to live in Utah. (I know....never say God doesn't have a sense of humor. Although, after a decade in Happy Valley, I have to admit it's growing on me...lol.)

Edited by MamaSheep

Here's part of an article that teaches why Christians do not consider Mormons Christians...
You didn't cite your source, so I googled it. I was surprised to see it was from CARM. Surprised, because you later said:
IMy point is to explain why most denominations do not accept Mormons as Christians.

CARM is solely run by Mr. Matt Slick, who is a Calvanist, as per his own description.

Admittedly, I know very little about Calvinists, but somewhere I got the impression that mainstream Christians weren't found of Calvinists either. Was I mistaken?

Edited by Maus
Meant cite, not site

You poor thing. Sometimes men make me laugh. He was probably like, "Camping isn't that hard. You bring a pot and carry your dehydrated food and use a hole in the ground." That's men camping. GIRL's camp has to be good!

Oh and I LOOOOOOOVE giving talks. Love, love, love. But in the SEVEN years I've been married, I've only had to give one. Talk about a major disappointment

I am sure you could hint to the Bishop. I am in a small branch so there is plenty of oppertunity to talk. I remember in our BYU-married ward we talked maybe twice during the year. The one time it was last minute.

Unless it's the one with the tuna fish. I swear it exists, I witnessed it myself at a pot-luck shortly after moving to Utah. To add insult to injury there was mayo on it as topping. It has officially made my list of reasons never to live in Utah. (I know....never say God doesn't have a sense of humor. Although, after a decade in Happy Valley, I have to admit it's growing on me...lol.)

Can't say I've ever seen (or tasted) that one, thank goodness! I don't doubt it, though. I've seen some fairly inedible things. (I've been in Utah county for 38 years, now, since I was eight. Do you you suppose it was trying to be an aspic, or whatever those things they used to make in the 30's were?

I want to thank the LDS women who answered questions about their faith with such openness and kindness.

I personally define Christianity as a belief in Christ, that he died on the cross to save us from our sins. So I would be hard pressed to say that Mormons are not Christian. But then again there are those that believe Catholics aren't Christian either. :001_huh:

There is a lot of wisdom in this thread, from the LDS and the non-LDS, so I am thankful that for the most part people have been civil.