Menu

Question about Mormons and Christianity

DNFTT

Also, I like my home teacher. He's a good dude. :001_smile:

What is DNFTT?

Also, we've lived in this ward two years and have yet to be home taught. But I have wonderful visiting teachers, they always come and one of them is one of my really good friends. So I'm ok with it. My husband always does his home teaching and his companion is my visiting teacher's husband and is awesome. So I figure if we ever needed anything, we could just call them.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carol,

I am not LDS/Mormon. But I find your participation in this thread to be terribly disrespectful and unproductive.

Agreed. Out and out laughing at a person's regligious beliefs is crude, rude, and totally uncalled for. I've notified the mods and reported her post.

I have a couple of questions about what I've been told of Mormons. I do not mean any disrespect, I'm just curious to know if it's true or not.

1. Is it true that Mormon men are allowed more than one wife if they wish?

2, Is it true that Mormons believe there a different levels of heaven and that they are placed on a certain level according to their deeds/works while on earth?

I have not looked deeply into either question and as I've said mean no disrespect at all. I figured I'd ask while this thread is going and there seem to be a few Mormons on this board who'd be able to verify/clear up this information.

I have a couple of questions about what I've been told of Mormons. I do not mean any disrespect, I'm just curious to know if it's true or not.

2, Is it true that Mormons believe there a different levels of heaven and that they are placed on a certain level according to their deeds/works while on earth?

I have not looked deeply into either question and as I've said mean no disrespect at all. I figured I'd ask while this thread is going and there seem to be a few Mormons on this board who'd be able to verify/clear up this information.

Thank you for asking politely; we do appreciate that :001_smile:

1) Mormons no longer practice polygamy. Here is a statement from mormon.org (an official LDS website, so this accurately portrays the Church's stance):

President Gordon B. Hinckley, prior president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made the following statement in 1998 about the ChurchĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s position on plural marriage:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church.... If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church.Ă¢â‚¬

At various times, the Lord has commanded His people to practice plural marriage. For example, He gave this command to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, and Solomon (Doctrine and Covenants 132:1). At other times the Lord has given other instructions. In the Book of Mormon, the Lord told the prophet Jacob Ă¢â‚¬Å“for there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife: and concubines he shall have none... for if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things (Jacob 2:27-30).

In this dispensation, the Lord commanded some of the early Saints to practice plural marriage. The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood. In 1890, President Wilford Woodruff received a revelation that the leaders of the Church should cease teaching the practice of plural marriage (Official Declaration 1).

The LordĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s law of marriage is monogamy unless he commands otherwise to help establish the House of Israel (see Encyclopedia of Mormonism Vol. 3, pp. 1091-1095).

And regarding heaven. We believe that there are three degrees of glory. They are called the Celestial, Terrestial, and Telestial. There are lots of factors that go into which degree of glory you receive, works being one of them. Maybe one of the other LDS moms could answer it better than me. I'm not very good at explaining things simply :lol:

Not these days. In the early days of the LDS Church, polygamy was practiced (though not by everyone). That ended around 1900 with an official declaration in 1890 and a few years of mopping-up. Anyone who tried it now would be excommunicated. We believe that polygamy is sometimes commanded by God, but only sometimes in particular circumstances--so when that commandment is not in effect it is not allowed.

If you look in 1 Corinthians 15, there is a rather confusing bit where Paul talks about celestial, terrestrial, and telestial heavens. Our belief is that he is referring to different kingdoms in heaven (aka 'many mansions'). Where an individual ends up is dependent, in the end, on where he wants to be. Broadly speaking, the telestial world is for the wicked and unrepentant who do not want to be with God--we don't have much of a hell as traditionally represented. Terrestrial world is for nice folks who have not gone the distance (so to speak)--it is near God but not with Him. The celestial kingdom is for those righteous people who made and kept covenants with God, who desire to be with Him eternally. This is eternal life, to live with God and be co-heirs.

Those who did not get the opportunity to know Christ and make covenants with God will be given that chance, so anyone who desires to know God will be able to. In addition we believe that young children who die go to be with God.

It's a big subject, and I would recommend that you read something real on it rather than my very sketchy summary. I'll try to find a good link. This is a summary page on God's plan that gives an overview of the whole thing. Here is a short explanation of the kingdoms of glory from the LDS Church's website.

Edited by dangermom

Just to add a little to what Meggie and dangermom already explained-

The vast majority of Mormons are part of the LDS Church, but there are a small minority of Mormons of other denominations who do practice polygamy. Sometimes it's confusing because we all can be called Mormon. But LDS Mormons do not practice polygamy; you would be excommunicated if you did.

It is through the atonement of Jesus Christ that we are saved and can go to heaven at all. While the ordinances matter, and while we try to make sure there is equal access to those ordinances, without Jesus' atoning sacrifice, none of it would matter. Also, a huge part of why we do ordinances like baptism for the dead so no one is kept from any level of heaven simply because they did not perform those ordinances while they were alive.

I have a kinda fluffy question--why are members of the the LDS church known as Mormons? :001_smile:

If I remember correctly (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong), it's a nickname that people not of our faith gave to those of our faith. It probably came the Book of Mormon title. I think it was originally an insult, but it isn't anymore.

I have a kinda fluffy question--why are members of the the LDS church known as Mormons? :001_smile:

:D It was a derogatory nickname given to us in the early days, because we have another book of scripture called the Book of Mormon. It was compiled by a prophet named Mormon and translated by Joseph Smith, and is a testament of Jesus Christ. We don't consider it at all derogatory nowadays, but it isn't terribly accurate. What it is, is more convenient than saying "members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." ;)

The Book of Mormon. It was used a pejorative in the early days of the Mormon movement and later embraced by the members.

In talking with many of my friends recently about this, it's seems that there is a preference to rather being called LDS. It's just that when people ask what religion you are and you respond "LDS", they tend to look at you quizically. It then requires a little

explanation, which does not bother me. I think that's why many members still use the term "Mormons". I too prefer LDS. :001_smile:

Thanks, dangermom and meggie, for answering my question. :)

I had never heard of home teachers, but I don't find it a shocking practice. My BIL and SIL attended a Southern Baptist church, and their Sunday School teachers do something very similar. You want shocking, though? Here ya go.

I grew up an evangelical church. Think Jesus Camp. One summer, I volunteered to work at the church for free. One of my jobs every Tuesday was to take a list that had been generated and send out form letters. The list was generated by comparing the list of "regular tithers" to the list of names (from the envelops) from Sunday's collection. Any names that didn't appear on both lists got a form letter from Satan, thanking them for supporting his efforts by not attending church or supporting it financially. :001_huh:

I guess by that token, having some guy from your church stop by to chat and hold a little Bible lesson seems pretty innocuous, doesn't it?

One of my jobs every Tuesday was to take a list that had been generated and send out form letters. The list was generated by comparing the list of "regular tithers" to the list of names (from the envelops) from Sunday's collection. Any names that didn't appear on both lists got a form letter from Satan, thanking them for supporting his efforts by not attending church or supporting it financially. :001_huh:

:blink::svengo: Oh my goodness.

are you sure that person messing with your friends head wasn't a member of the doomsday cult from outside LA that was going to catch a ride on the spaceship following the hale-bopp comet? (you know the ones who all willingly ate the poisened pudding so they could be "beamed" up to the spaceship as the comet passed Earth). wow.:001_huh:

Hey now, they were from a hoity-toity 'burb of San Diego. Couldja keep the cults straight, please?? :lol:

One of my jobs every Tuesday was to take a list that had been generated and send out form letters. The list was generated by comparing the list of "regular tithers" to the list of names (from the envelops) from Sunday's collection. Any names that didn't appear on both lists got a form letter from Satan, thanking them for supporting his efforts by not attending church or supporting it financially. :001_huh:

I guess by that token, having some guy from your church stop by to chat and hold a little Bible lesson seems pretty innocuous, doesn't it?

I think that I may attended the same church(es). I'm not surprised about the above at all. Also :iagree: with the second paragraph.

With all respect, I don't consider the LDS church to be Christian for a few reasons- they have Extra scripture and they are not Trinitarian, are the main issues. However, that does not mean that I harass members or treat them badly in any way. I just don't consider them Christians by the traditional definition of Christianity.

I don't condone mocking of any religion and get quite angry with my kids if they try to do that (I have some adult kids who watch things I don't). I certainly don't mock LDS on forums either.

With all respect, I don't consider the LDS church to be Christian for a few reasons- they have Extra scripture and they are not Trinitarian, are the main issues. However, that does not mean that I harass members or treat them badly in any way. I just don't consider them Christians by the traditional definition of Christianity.

I don't condone mocking of any religion and get quite angry with my kids if they try to do that (I have some adult kids who watch things I don't). I certainly don't mock LDS on forums either.

And, I'm sure I can safely speak for all the LDS ladies here when I say I appreciate that. Not everybody is going to agree that we're Christian, and we're okay with that, but that doesn't mean we can't all *treat* each other as Christians (showing charity, loving thy neighbor, and all that).

If you look in 1 Corinthians 15, there is a rather confusing bit where Paul talks about celestial, terrestrial, and telestial heavens. Our belief is that he is referring to different kingdoms in heaven (aka 'many mansions').

Are you referencing 1 Corinthians 15:39-41?

38But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

This was the only place in chapter 15 where he speaks of celestial or terrestrial. I can't find telestial anywhere. Could you please define this word, as I can't find it in the dictionary. My dh would probably call it operator error.:lol:

I grew up an evangelical church. Think Jesus Camp. One summer, I volunteered to work at the church for free. One of my jobs every Tuesday was to take a list that had been generated and send out form letters. The list was generated by comparing the list of "regular tithers" to the list of names (from the envelops) from Sunday's collection. Any names that didn't appear on both lists got a form letter from Satan, thanking them for supporting his efforts by not attending church or supporting it financially. :001_huh:

Oh My Goodness. :eek: I would run screaming from that church. :leaving:

:D It was a derogatory nickname given to us in the early days, because we have another book of scripture called the Book of Mormon. It was compiled by a prophet named Mormon and translated by Joseph Smith, and is a testament of Jesus Christ. We don't consider it at all derogatory nowadays, but it isn't terribly accurate. What it is, is more convenient than saying "members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." ;)

So, Mormon is an LDS prophet, analogous to Moses? So calling LDS "Mormons" would be like calling Jews "Moseses"? :lol:

To us, Joseph Smith was a prophet just like any other prophet was. Moses and Abraham were "mere men," but many Christian's don't have problems accepting that they saw visions. Why would it be any different now? That, and like others have said, we believe we have received a witness from the Holy Spirit that what he saw actually happened.

Thanks for answering. :)

I agree that the prophets and apostles were mere men, BUT all of their works/words were put into the Bible. In my belief, the Book of Mormon is in violation with several verses in the Bible that speak of not adding on to the word of God. (Proverbs 30:5-6, Revelation 1:1-3, and Revelation 22:18-19).

But, anyway, I'm not trying to debate the point. I just like to know more about other religions. I think for anyone, knowing more about the things you DON'T believe, helps you to grow in your own faith, and for me helps me to teach my children the reasons behind why I don't agree with certain things.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses to my question! I agree that even if our beliefs differ, we should treat each other with respect and dignity.

Thanks for answering. :)

I agree that the prophets and apostles were mere men, BUT all of their works/words were put into the Bible. In my belief, the Book of Mormon is in violation with several verses in the Bible that speak of not adding on to the word of God. (Proverbs 30:5-6, Revelation 1:1-3, and Revelation 22:18-19).

But, anyway, I'm not trying to debate the point. I just like to know more about other religions. I think for anyone, knowing more about the things you DON'T believe, helps you to grow in your own faith, and for me helps me to teach my children the reasons behind why I don't agree with certain things.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses to my question! I agree that even if our beliefs differ, we should treat each other with respect and dignity.

Not debating here, just putting out there how LDS view those verses :) :

They do speak of MAN not adding to the word of God, but LDS belief is that the cannon isn't closed, that God can and does choose to still reveal His Word to man, and that God chose to reveal the Book of Mormon to mankind at this period in His Creation's history.

I'm late to the party and still catching up (and have to leave here soon to take ds to his religion class). Just wanted to say you LDS ladies are doing a wonderful job. :)

And also, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking my water when I read about the "intimidating" home teachers. We actually have good home teachers now who come nearly every month. We have to make sure there aren't any shoes in front of the door or toys on the floor, though, as I'm almost sure they are contemporaries of Methusaleh and are both a little unsteady on their feet. Dh had to catch one of them during a prayer a few months back, as he lost his balance with his eyes closed and started going down. I can't tell you how hard it makes me laugh to imagine these sweet older men waving their canes in our faces and threatening us if we don't conform to church beliefs. Dd could push either one of them down the steps with very little effort if she wanted (but of course she never would do such a thing to somebody's nice grandpa, what a horrible thought!). I'd never think of asking either of them to do yard work or lift heavy furniture, but hey, that's what the elders' quorum is for, right?

Intimidating home teachers. Oh my land.

38But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

This was the only place in chapter 15 where he speaks of celestial or terrestrial. I can't find telestial anywhere. Could you please define this word, as I can't find it in the dictionary. My dh would probably call it operator error.:lol:

Here's a blog article telling about the word. It's a coinage. Though looking around the web, it seems to be in wider use now than I would expect!

Not debating here, just putting out there how LDS view those verses :) :

They do speak of MAN not adding to the word of God, but LDS belief is that the cannon isn't closed, that God can and does choose to still reveal His Word to man, and that God chose to reveal the Book of Mormon to mankind at this period in His Creation's history.

:iagree: Also, if you take the "there will never be any more scripture" interpretation of the verse in Proverbs, or even the one in Deuteronomy that wasn't mentioned, how could you accept that Revelation is scripture? Or anything that was "added" to the scriptural canon after Proverbs was written, or Deuteronomy (which would eliminate Proverbs as well). I can see the argument, and understand why some people view it that way, but for me it doesn't hold up well under scrutiny.

You are correct about "Telestial" not being in there. It only mentions "Celestial" and "Terrestrial" in Corinthians, but then it also talks about "glory of the sun," "glory of the moon," and "glory of the stars," which are three places. If I recall, "Telestial" is from our (LDS) scriptures. "Celestial" would be "glory of the sun," the highest glory. "Terrestrial" would be "glory of the moon," the middle glory. And "Telestial" would be "glory of the stars," the lowest glory.

Gee, ANOTHER thread questioning Mormons and drilling about beliefs? Really? I'm LDS and it is starting to get pretty tiresome to see these out there.

I'm LDS too, and I don't mind at all. I'd much rather people got accurate information about us, and asking us questions is a good way to do that. And I love discussing my beliefs. But there has been a lot of that sort of discussion here lately, and I don't think anyone would blame you for sitting this one out if you want.

Gee, ANOTHER thread questioning Mormons and drilling about beliefs? Really? I'm LDS and it is starting to get pretty tiresome to see these out there.

:confused:

I haven't posted to this thread (though I've posted to others), but I'm always happy to answer any genuine questions about our faith.

I am sorry you feel that way. I am very thankful for the patience you and all the LDS ladies on the boards have exhibited in clearing up misconceptions and explaining things to non-members like me. I am not interested in joining the church, but I love learning about and understanding others' belief systems better. :001_smile:

So, Mormon is an LDS prophet, analogous to Moses? So calling LDS "Mormons" would be like calling Jews "Moseses"? :lol:

:lol: Yep! Pretty much!

It's also a lot like the British calling us Americans "Yankees," which meant, from what I understand, "Bumpkin" or "Yokel". They meant it to be derogatory, and we took on the name with pride. :D

Well I don't mind if 10,000 people ask me the same question over and over. So long as they can be polite and not rude about it. I'm not going to get into an argument or debate with anyone about our beliefs, but I don't mind satisfying those who are curious or clarifying for those who have heard something untrue. If it's tiresome for you to see the threads, you don't have to read them. I always assume people who are asking new questions on new threads missed the older threads.

Your name sounds familiar, but it seems like we haven't seen you around for a while. If you're who I'm remembering we had a couple of interesting chats before.

Yes, I think we did. I haven't been around much lately because I've decided that the key to productivity in my life largely comes down to "avoid wasting time online." But then today my wife had to mention an interesting thread and I had to rush over here because someone was wrong on the internet, and that was more important than anything else, of course.

And then I saw this thread and a couple of other interesting ones and...well, I'm weak.

I'm getting a little giggle out of seeing your name with "Queen Bee" under it for a title. Is that awful?

Me, too. :)

There are other ways to look at it.

While I do not agree with a lot of LDS doctrine, I must say I have always admired the way you all share your faith (so graciously!), the way you serve others, and the community you build with each other. I know that all faiths have their difficulties, but I have always loved that part of yours. I wish very much that my church operated similarly!

Yes, I think we did. I haven't been around much lately because I've decided that the key to productivity in my life largely comes down to "avoid wasting time online." But then today my wife had to mention an interesting thread and I had to rush over here because someone was wrong on the internet, and that was more important than anything else, of course.

And then I saw this thread and a couple of other interesting ones and...well, I'm weak.

Me, too. :)

:lol: Of course. Well, it's good to see you again. :)

Oh, I KNOW that "someone is wrong on the Internet" problem! :lol: But it's nice to see you back.

I am very happy to answer honest questions. There are enough LDS here to be able to take shifts, so if one or two of us get burned out it's no big deal, there will always be a few more to do the job.

TBH I did get burned out over on another message board, and don't do it any more there, but that's because of the really mean tone that got overwhelming. Real questions got drowned out in the tidal wave of jerkiness. I've never felt like that here at all and it's by far the most civilized place on the web I've ever found for these conversations.

I personally believe sincere questions are just peachy, but I suspect passive aggressive statements are being made in the guise of questions. Why all of the constant questioning of faith? Didn't someone (a moderator?) suggest laying off the religion threads for a while? A wise suggestion in my opinion.

You know, I was raised in an evangelical denomination that regularly demonized the LDS, and there were many youth group meetings where we were warned of how dangerous a cult it is (The Godmakers featured prominently in many of these discussions). Tales of magic underwear, secret rites, and perhaps most horrific of all, temple plays involving interpretative dancing Jesus and his side-kick brother, Lucifer (that nutty guy).

Point being, obviously I am exceedingly well-informed. (Almost as well-informed as a certain other poster on this thread.) I got some seriously credible info here, folks. Like, 60 Minutes expose worthy, ya know? My sources are solid.

And so I'm a little ticked off that with all those cautionary tales, I never once heard about intimidating home visitors. WTH, guys, seriously, you're holding back on me??

Now, I've got all these images of like, Neo-type guys in black trench coats and sunglasses coming to LDS doorsteps and demanding that they "TKAE THE BLUE PILL NOW OK CUZ THE RED PILL IZ TOTALLY EVIL!!!" and breaking up nice family dinner scenes all across the state of Utah.

WHY haven't I ever been told about this??? It's precisely the kind of sensational, fear-inducing, kinda-mostly-totally-untrue, true-sounding thing that would have sold in the next bestseller, God-Makers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I am inconsolable.

I personally believe sincere questions are just peachy, but I suspect passive aggressive statements are being made in the guise of questions. Why all of the constant questioning of faith? Didn't someone (a moderator?) suggest laying off the religion threads for a while? A wise suggestion in my opinion.

Eh...you may be right about some passive aggressive statements phrased as questions being tossed into the mix. But I think they're often about topics other people have sincere questions about but are afraid to ask, so I think they can play an educative role as well. But again, if you need a break I don't think anyone would blame you. :)

I personally believe sincere questions are just peachy, but I suspect passive aggressive statements are being made in the guise of questions. Maybe there are, but I'm not going to judge that over the internet. So for me, if they are asking politely I will answer. If they disagree with the answer on their end, that's ok with me too. Why all of the constant questioning of faith? I'm assuming people are curious. Didn't someone (a moderator?) suggest laying off the religion threads for a while? I think we laid off them for about a week. That's practically eternity around here ;)A wise suggestion in my opinion.

My responses in red.

You know, I was raised in an evangelical denomination that regularly demonized the LDS, and there were many youth group meetings where we were warned of how dangerous a cult it is (The Godmakers featured prominently in many of these discussions). Tales of magic underwear, secret rites, and perhaps most horrific of all, temple plays involving interpretative dancing Jesus and his side-kick brother, Lucifer (that nutty guy).

Point being, obviously I am exceedingly well-informed. (Almost as well-informed as a certain other poster on this thread.) I got some seriously credible info here, folks. Like, 60 Minutes expose worthy, ya know? My sources are solid.

And so I'm a little ticked off that with all those cautionary tales, I never once heard about intimidating home visitors. WTH, guys, seriously, you're holding back on me??

Now, I've got all these images of like, Neo-type guys in black trench coats and sunglasses coming to LDS doorsteps and demanding that they "TKAE THE BLUE PILL NOW OK CUZ THE RED PILL IZ TOTALLY EVIL!!!" and breaking up nice family dinner scenes all across the state of Utah.

WHY haven't I ever been told about this??? It's precisely the kind of sensational, fear-inducing, kinda-mostly-totally-untrue, true-sounding thing that would have sold in the next bestseller, God-Makers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I am inconsolable.

:lol:

Although, since you mentioned it, I once watched The God Makers with my DH *on accident*!:tongue_smilie: We were searching YouTube for something actually church related, and stumbled upon a "Mormon cartoon". We watched it for a few minutes, thinking it was produced by someone from our church, and kept *cracking up laughing* at how ridiculous it was. It was soooooooooooo off! When we finally figured out that what we'd watched was actually a clip from The God Makers we were just completely baffled that it's marketed as being an accurate telling of LDS beliefs. Talk about having the wool pulled over ones eyes!

It makes me wonder why they felt the need to so badly distort our beliefs in order to convince people not to convert to Mormonism. I mean, if you believe our teachings are already "false", then why not just present those "false" beliefs accurately and honestly? Why the need for all the twisting??