Menu

Question about Mormons and Christianity

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a phrase for females that went to BYU that got their "Degree in ...." (I forget the term used...but basically meant that they met a guy there and married before they graduated).

I've had very good experiences and a bad experience with LDS. I have one friend that was LDS, went to BYU, etc that had a horrible experience. I have cousins that converted and love it. One of those cousins is very kind to me. The others have nothing to do with my side of the family, unless they want something (genealogical information with the promise of sharing what they have only to never contact us again once they get what they want). I'll chalk it up to people being people. My midwife was the daughter of an FLDS man (she left that faith entirely...and yes, I do know they are different than the LDS).

Edited by mommaduck

An MRS degree. :lol:

I've never heard that. :tongue_smilie: My sister and I both got our degrees even though we got married. She got married the summer before grad school and had a baby 3 days before her second year. I got married in the second semester of my sophomore year and had a baby in the summer before my senior year. I found out I was pregnant with baby number two on my graduation day. :)

I've never heard that. :tongue_smilie: My sister and I both got our degrees even though we got married. She got married the summer before grad school and had a baby 3 days before her second year. I got married in the second semester of my sophomore year and had a baby in the summer before my senior year. I found out I was pregnant with baby number two on my graduation day. :)

Ya, both my sister and sister-in-law started BYU unmarried, and were married and either pregnant or already had a kid when they graduated. Students dropping out after marriage isn't as common as it used to be.

When I was at BYU, the joke was that if you were female and graduated unmarried, they refunded your tuition. :tongue_smilie:

I met DH a month AFTER I graduated (although we were on the BYU campus when we met).

I went to UVSC (now UVU), just up the road from BYU, and when my older brother heard of my college choice he said "You know what they say about going to college in Utah: "A ring by Spring or your money back!"

I got mine in the Fall. :D

Ack! My kids are...no, no, no! It drives me bonkers!

Yes, LDS get shunned also. They weren't allowed in the only, and large, homeschooling group in the area we had lived in in S. IL. A neighbour of a former friend was LDS and wanted to join. That "friend" was telling me about it and basically said that the woman could either become a real Christian or they could go create their own group :glare: (let me tell you, that is not easy when you belong to a church with very few homeschoolers, if any)

Same with us here. It took me almost 4 years to find the one I'm with now; a wonderful inclusive group that has so many lovely families in it. Many of them were also 'shunned' by the big 'Christian' group...which makes many of us go :001_huh: since they are supposed to be loving towards their fellow brothers and sisters. I guess they'll love us from the distance because they surely didn't want our children mixing with theirs. It's ok though as I love our nonjudgemental group so much better :D. We are such a rainbow of people and our kids learn so much from each other and appreciate the differences.

When I was at BYU, the joke was that if you were female and graduated unmarried, they refunded your tuition. :tongue_smilie:

I met DH a month AFTER I graduated (although we were on the BYU campus when we met).

I went to UVSC (now UVU), just up the road from BYU, and when my older brother heard of my college choice he said "You know what they say about going to college in Utah: "A ring by Spring or your money back!"

I got mine in the Fall. :D

:lol::lol::lol: That's cute! :p

:lol: DH finished undergrad at BYU without getting married and he jokes that he's still waiting for his tuition refund. He went to med school in MO and he says it was a HUGE leap of faith for him to go out there, knowing that the pool of marriageable girls was going to shrink dramatically! Funny thing was, he went out there and his dad fixed him up with a girl from his home stake in CA (me). He just had to wait around for me to grow up. He's 5 1/2 yrs older and I wasn't quite old enough to date when he got home from his mission. We got married 6 months before his 27th birthday, so I saved him from becoming a "menace to society and a burden on the Church" :lol::lol:

I got my MRS before I got my BS, but I did get both! :D

:lol: DH finished undergrad at BYU without getting married and he jokes that he's still waiting for his tuition refund. He went to med school in MO and he says it was a HUGE leap of faith for him to go out there, knowing that the pool of marriageable girls was going to shrink dramatically! Funny thing was, he went out there and his dad fixed him up with a girl from his home stake in CA (me). He just had to wait around for me to grow up. He's 5 1/2 yrs older and I wasn't quite old enough to date when he got home from his mission. We got married 6 months before his 27th birthday, so I saved him from becoming a "menace to society and a burden on the Church" :lol::lol:

:lol: I'm pretty sure if you're a guy who graduates from BYU unmarried, you have to pay double the tuition. ;)

It's funny how life works out, isn't it?

:lol: I'm pretty sure if you're a guy who graduates from BYU unmarried, you have to pay double the tuition. ;)

It's funny how life works out, isn't it?

:lol: He probably DID pay double the tuition when you figure in all the dating expenses he incurred while he was there. The man didn't leave BYU unmarried for lack of trying! :D

:lol: He probably DID pay double the tuition when you figure in all the dating expenses he incurred while he was there. The man didn't leave BYU unmarried for lack of trying! :D

:lol: I tease my DH about bleeding him dry before we were married. He graduated a few weeks after we got engaged, but wasn't hired for his first job until a few weeks before we were married (we were afraid we were going to have to move in with his parents!). Until then he sold his plasma to pay for our dates. :tongue_smilie: And he has a permanent pock mark in the crook of his arm to prove it! :lol:

:lol: I tease my DH about bleeding him dry before we were married. He graduated a few weeks after we got engaged, but wasn't hired for his first job until a few weeks before we were married (we were afraid we were going to have to move in with his parents!). Until then he sold his plasma to pay for our dates. :tongue_smilie: And he has a permanent pock mark in the crook of his arm to prove it! :lol:

Now that is TRUE love! :lol:

I went to BYU, got two degrees, and then taught there for years, and didn't even meet my DH until 2 years after I got my MA, and we didn't get married for another 4 years. I should definitely get my tuition refunded. :tongue_smilie:

A friend of mine tells her teenaged sons, "Girls are yucky until after your mission." It's pretty common for parents and church leaders to discourage any type of serious romantic relationship prior to a young man (and to a lesser extent, a young woman) serving a mission. mama23peas, I suspect that the shunning from the young man's sister might have had something to do with perceiving you as a reason he might not go on a mission, rather than that you had questioned her religion.

I LOVED my time at BYU. We always had the most fun dates. I went on one that was a group date with four or five other couples. The boys packed us a picnic....which we ate on the quad in front of the Brigham Young statue. Then we played hide and seek in the Wilkinson Center and ended the night by having a watergun fight....in the LIBRARY!! :D

I used to love walking past the north side of the library in the morning after it snowed, and the heated sidewalks thawed it, and then it refroze into a solid sheet of ice. Whenever someone fell down....and of course they did....the kids sitting in the library would each hold up a "score" like it was the Olympics. My roomies and I all got perfect "10s" one day, because when one of us started falling, we all went down like dominos. :lol:

Also loved being in the library at closing time. They would blast the "Hawaii Five-O" theme over the speakers at 11 PM and kids who'd been sleeping would shoot up out of the study carrels like their pants were on fire. :lol: My little group of rowdy friends and I would all jump up on the tables and pretend we were surfing.

So many fabulous memories. And so much fun!!! Which is why is took me five years to graduate (including a couple of summer semesters). I loved it there!

I'm sorry, I called your logic silly, not your experience. I'm sorry you had that bad experience. That must have been horrible for you.

Unfortunately, you're still not making sense to me. All well. You lost me at your first post anyway. You don't think we're christian is what you're trying to say though, right? Got it, thanks. Anyone else?

:lurk5:

ETA: we should make a poll! That will decide it once and for all! :)

I find your responses disingenuous and curt. I get it, you are offended that I do not believe your faith to be Christian...the post I wrote was not directed at you or any others on this thread...I do not see an "only Mormons" post flag...and the first question was..some do not consider Mormons to be Christian. Why?

This was just one experience I shared that prompted me to do a great deal of research. It was not the experience with my friend that formed my opinion, it was the research..their actions only made me dig further. So, where you get lost on the logic is unclear to me. To call anyone's logic silly is bordering rude. You jumped into this thread knowing the question first but to try and be sarcastic and brush aside my logic/experiences as an "I've heard that before" is not called for. I do not comment on other's experiences...I only came to share my answer to the question. It would be nice to expect the same grace that I have given. Again, if my faith were being attacked I would not be inclined to become flippant and rude, it would make me that much more sincere and loving to help understand their position. It is not my battle to ward off detractors of my faith, God does that for me...through the truth of His word and His assurances.

I do appreciate those who have been kind and open to the experiences of others...the event was not deeply hurtful but left me querying why would someone respond in that way. I understand that the sending of a mission is an important path in the life of a Mormon youth...in my discussions with my friend, he became more worried because he could not answer my questions...that is where the fear and doubt were causing him to question more than just the mission. He went to his Bishop for answers (telling me he would have them all) and instead of the answers I received no more contact. My best guess is that the Bishop knew he was young in his faith and needed much more study to be able to address the questions/inconsistencies that were brought up through my research. My plan was not to discredit his religion...my intention was to prove his religion...believe me, things would have been much easier if I could have.

I LOVED my time at BYU. We always had the most fun dates. I went on one that was a group date with four or five other couples. The boys packed us a picnic....which we ate on the quad in front of the Brigham Young statue. Then we played hide and seek in the Wilkinson Center and ended the night by having a watergun fight....in the LIBRARY!! :D

I used to love walking past the north side of the library in the morning after it snowed, and the heated sidewalks thawed it, and then it refroze into a solid sheet of ice. Whenever someone fell down....and of course they did....the kids sitting in the library would each hold up a "score" like it was the Olympics. My roomies and I all got perfect "10s" one day, because when one of us started falling, we all went down like dominos. :lol:

Also loved being in the library at closing time. They would blast the "Hawaii Five-O" theme over the speakers at 11 PM and kids who'd been sleeping would shoot up out of the study carrels like their pants were on fire. :lol: My little group of rowdy friends and I would all jump up on the tables and pretend we were surfing.

So many fabulous memories. And so much fun!!! Which is why is took me five years to graduate (including a couple of summer semesters). I loved it there!

This is hilarious! I went to BYU-I (back in the day when it was still called Ricks) and I'm pretty sure they played "Happy Trails To You" when the library closed.

And oh the ice. . . you know how you have those little dreams as you're falling asleep sometimes, where you dream that you're going to fall and you sort of jerk awake? Anytime I had those, it was because I was dreaming that I was slipping on the ice. I don't know how many times I slipped those years I was there. Of course I wasn't always wearing the most practical shoes because I wanted to look good :lol::lol:

]I find your responses disingenuous and curt[/b]. I get it' date=' you are offended that I do not believe your faith to be Christian...the post I wrote was not directed at you or any others on this thread...I do not see an "only Mormons" post flag...and the first question was..some do not consider Mormons to be Christian. Why?

This was just one experience I shared that prompted me to do a great deal of research. It was not the experience with my friend that formed my opinion, it was the research..their actions only made me dig further. So, where you get lost on the logic is unclear to me. To call anyone's logic silly is bordering rude. You jumped into this thread knowing the question first but to try and be sarcastic and brush aside my logic/experiences as an "I've heard that before" is not called for. I do not comment on other's experiences...I only came to share my answer to the question. It would be nice to expect the same grace that I have given. Again, if my faith were being attacked I would not be inclined to become flippant and rude, it would make me that much more sincere and loving to help understand their position. It is not my battle to ward off detractors of my faith, God does that for me...through the truth of His word and His assurances.

I do appreciate those who have been kind and open to the experiences of others...the event was not deeply hurtful but left me querying why would someone respond in that way. I understand that the sending of a mission is an important path in the life of a Mormon youth...in my discussions with my friend, he became more worried because he could not answer my questions...that is where the fear and doubt were causing him to question more than just the mission. He went to his Bishop for answers (telling me he would have them all) and instead of the answers I received no more contact. My best guess is that the Bishop knew he was young in his faith and needed much more study to be able to address the questions/inconsistencies that were brought up through my research. My plan was not to discredit his religion...my intention was to prove his religion...believe me, things would have been much easier if I could have.[/quote']

I'm sorry.:(

Edited by hmsmith

I got my MRS before I got my BS, but I did get both! :D

Was your dh in STL for med school? Moved from there three years ago and the dating scene is currently Really busy there. We were one of about four nonstudent families there. Lots of dating is going on between all those med and law students! Loved that ward, but thankful for the youth program where we live now.

Was your dh in STL for med school? Moved from there three years ago and the dating scene is currently Really busy there. We were one of about four nonstudent families there. Lots of dating is going on between all those med and law students! Loved that ward, but thankful for the youth program where we live now.

No, he went to a much smaller area :)

Edited by LemonPie