Menu

MFW ECC users--advice needed

julikins

I have two questions about scheduling:

1. Do you spend separate times during the day on the 3rs and then the program content--geography and science. We always start with Bible and read-alouds, but I've been thinking about splitting that up to. So I guess my question is how do you schedule your day to fit everything in?

2. The other thing, is that I'm way behind this year. Background: Due to an unexpected high-risk pregnancy, and bed-rest and lots of other things (we are newly living in a small village in Brazil), I'm only on week 11. We started school this Monday and then dd got very sick with flu so we may start back up tomorrow. This semester we will be moving (hopefully within the next couple weeks), we will be hosting a couple from the U.S. for most of February, and then we have to move to the capital city at the beginning of March (at 7 months pregnant to be able to be close to a good hospital for when the baby gets here). So here's the question: I would like to finish ECC so that I can start CtG next year (August), but I don't know how to schedule/what to cut out. Do I try to do each country for only a week, what do I cut out? Honestly, I'm stumped, I just don't know what to do! My goals for this year was to strengthen my 4th graders geography and give her a good year with that, with my 1st grader it was to familiarize him with God's world but not in-depth. Any suggestions would be great to try to accomplish this goal, and I need to get rid of this guilty feeling....

:grouphug: Sorry you've faced so many challenges. I used the program several years ago, and toward mid-year, we felt the need to accelerate the program and wrap it up. We always did Bible first, as you are doing, but the read alouds were done after lunch. I set aside the map game to be used in spare time if there was the desire. Some of the printed student sheets were skipped. I did as you have suggested, covering the highlights of a different country each week. I made sure the girls could locate each country on a map and a globe, we did one craft each week, made a meal or dish weekly, and read selected highlights that I found interesting. We skimmed the science and did a project each week, too. That's all the specifics I can recall. It sounds like your school time is compressed, so make the most of your limited school time with your kids, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your steps. You may find quite a few opportunities for cultural study and learning in your current home, as well. Blessings~

Edited by Blueridge

I was just thinking the same thing. I think I might try covering 1 week at a time instead. We do our 3 r's in the morning and ECC together in the afternoon. We are doing Apologia General Science with our 7th grader so I can just do parts of the ECC science. I think we are going to try this after we finish Mexico. :)

Praying for a happy and healthy pregnancy for you. :grouphug: