Menu

Writing With Skill

• 3 weeks later...

Angie,

We are starting week 4 this coming Tuesday. So far, the boys, grades 4-8th (its all boys) are keeping up fine. They are all good, fast readers. The 8th grader is a fine writer, but he isn't bored at all!

I have 1 Aspie in the group and his sentence structure is quirky, and doing out-lining was hard the first week. His mom did say that they used outlining for science that week though,so it really helped him across the board.

So far we've done Day 1-2/3 in class and they have 1-2 days of homework. Starting this week I'm going to try to get a whole week done in class so that they can do Day 1 and 2 at home and we do Day 3 & 4 in class.

Have you used WWE? It's set up the same way. I'm a die-hard IEW user. I like IEW because it gently introduces the kids to source documents, how to dress up what they have. The Complete Writer is even better because it is a systematic way of starting slow and steady with source docs, narration, copywork and heading easily and without stress into research papers. And the kids are exposed to snippets of great lit along the way.

Have you used WWE? It's set up the same way.

No, but the teacher's book is on my wishlist. My last dc is a little old to start at the beginning, but he could benefit from it, I'm sure. Would he need to do some of WWE 3 and/or 4 before starting WWS? (I need to search the boards here for where to start w/ a middle schooler.)

I'm a die-hard IEW user. I like IEW because it gently introduces the kids to source documents, how to dress up what they have. The Complete Writer is even better because it is a systematic way of starting slow and steady with source docs, narration, copywork and heading easily and without stress into research papers. And the kids are exposed to snippets of great lit along the way.

I have used IEW w/ my first born, but not consistently. Really, the thing that has helped her writing the most so far is being in speech and debate club. Writing all those briefs and speeches made a difference. :)