Menu

Math for reluctant 6yo

Dhahabu

My oldest ds (6 in two weeks time) has never enjoyed maths very much. He loves reading and learning languages and is very good at both. He has characteristics of a perfectionist and doesn't like doing things he finds more difficult (maybe all children are like this? Although my younger ds isn't as much as his brother). Up to now, math concepts haven't come naturally to him - we've done some 'living math' and about a fifth of Right Start A but the RS is a real struggle. He will do the lessons but things don't seem to 'click' for him. I admit that we've been a bit ad hoc about RS (with having a new baby) so that may not have helped. Do you think I should give RS more time and be more consistent about doing it regularly? Or should I look at something else and if so, what? I had wondered about Miquon. :confused:

This describes two of my kids and both of them really clicked with Miquon.

Those two also do living math. :glare:

Honestly, I've tried to figure this out over and over in my head...one of my kids has tried 4 different math curricula and he hated every one of them. I'm starting to think that maybe (for some kids) traditional math curricula moves too slowly for them. Miquon seems to jump into some really advanced topics early on and that might be why it clicks with some kids. :confused: This is a huge mystery in our household.

We tried Miquon and it wasn't a good fit for us. It was too abstract. At that age, we did BJU Math with GREAT success. It was slow, gentle, concrete, colorful... not agonizing. BJU is great at meeting the child where the child is at. You wouldn't need a TM at this level, just the workbook. Mardel's is having their bi-annual 20% off education sale this weekend (Jan 7, 2012) online and in the store. The BJU workbooks can be a little pricey but they are beautiful and well worth the money. Oh, and they're Christian if that is an issue....

We tried Miquon and it wasn't a good fit for us. It was too abstract. At that age, we did BJU Math with GREAT success. It was slow, gentle, concrete, colorful... not agonizing. BJU is great at meeting the child where the child is at. You wouldn't need a TM at this level, just the workbook. Mardel's is having their bi-annual 20% off education sale this weekend (Jan 7, 2012) online and in the store. The BJU workbooks can be a little pricey but they are beautiful and well worth the money. Oh, and they're Christian if that is an issue....

LOL the link goes to a music group's website, the Mar Dels :lol:

My dd, who also "hates" maths, tolerates MEP and Miquon, but the curric she actually likes is CSMP, because of the stories woven into the program. When we do Miquon or MEP, I have to throw in a lot of silliness into our maths session, for her to agree to do one worksheet.

My dd, who also "hates" maths, tolerates MEP and Miquon, but the curric she actually likes is CSMP, because of the stories woven into the program. When we do Miquon or MEP, I have to throw in a lot of silliness into our maths session, for her to agree to do one worksheet.

Thanks for this. What is CSMP? I haven't heard of that. Where do you get it from?

A few months back a thread was started on Math Journaling

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319059

I started doing this with my dd, who at the time was 6. She hated math, constant tears. We started doing math this way and now she loves math...really loves it and is having fun. I am using Maximum Math by Kathryn Stout which gives you a list of concepts needed to know for a K-2nd grader, 3rd-4th, and so on. It even shows how to teach these concepts.

A few months back a thread was started on Math Journaling

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319059

I started doing this with my dd, who at the time was 6. She hated math, constant tears. We started doing math this way and now she loves math...really loves it and is having fun. I am using Maximum Math by Kathryn Stout which gives you a list of concepts needed to know for a K-2nd grader, 3rd-4th, and so on. It even shows how to teach these concepts.

We also do math journaling. What is Maximum Math? Is that like Kitchen Table Math? We love KTM. I need to check that out!

My oldest is more of a language arts girl. She's doing okay in math, but it's not her strong suit. She does best with a combination of two curricula. We switch back and forth between Singapore Primary Math and RightStart. When we get bored or stuck in one of them (or when we get to a good stopping point) we switch to the other. I see this building a strong math foundation. I plan on using a different combination of curricula with my next child, who IS a mathy child.