Menu

My Son HATES the Teaching Textbooks Samples

Bloggermom

I was trying to convince my 10 year old son to switch over to Teaching Textbooks so it would be less work for me. However, after viewing the sample lectures and problems he said he absolutely hated it and wanted to stick with doing the CLE workbooks. Did anyone else have a child react this way?

I showed TT samples to dd (now age 11) a few years ago, and she didn't give it much of a chance. At the time, I thought she was just poo-pooing all of my suggestions. But I've since figured out why it isn't a good fit for her. For some reason, she doesn't seem to follow video tutorials very well. One on one teaching seems to work best for her with math, where she can ask questions and have that back-and-forth of conversation with her teacher (me, or her dad). Also, anything on computer does not make it to paper. So, if she had to do a long division problem and all the computer gave her was 800 / 23, she'd try to do it all on her head, not on paper, lol. She's getting better, but I do have to remind her - "hey, grab paper, and here you go!" Workbooks with some notebook paper on the side seems to work best (although, she still prefers to write her work ALLLLL over her workbook pages). Anyhow. No, TT would not work for this one:lol:

DD8 tried it at the very beginning of this year, and it was hard for her to follow the man speaking. It seemed since he wasn't in front of her she had a hard time concentrating on his words, and she cried often, as she would get to the problems and not know what to do with them. So I had to reteach what she just listened to. We had to drop it, but may pick it up in later years. She is doing CLE now and loving it.

My oldest ds didn't hate TT but there were a few things he didn't like. The little animated characters that are suppose to give a hint or cheer the student on. He also didn't like how the numbers and sentences didn't line up with the yellow notebook paper on the screen:tongue_smilie:.

He is using TT but only the workbook.