Menu

What is your dogs name?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a puppy on reserve (male) and were trying to come up with names. What is your dogs name? I would love to hear how you came up with it as well.

Here is our little guy:

397984_2621760097982_1074581761_32209570_1797762352_n.jpg

The older dogs name is Buck after the the dog in Call of the Wild. My oldest had just finished reading it and thought the new puppy (now 10years old) looked like a Buck.

The younger dog just looked like a Jake. We adopted him from the city shelter at 5 months old and they were calling him peanut. My dd had already picked out a few names and Jake was the one that just seemed to fit him best.

Aw, he's cute!! :)

Our first dog after we got married, we named Saydie Rose. I can't remember why. We gave her to an elderly couple a couple of years ago, because she spent her days hiding under the couch (she's a yorkie). :lol:

Our labradoodle is named Kida. We thought and thought about a name for her. The kids named her - we had thought about Koinu (which DS thinks is puppy in Japanese) but the kids were on an Atlantis kick (the Disney movie) and we ended up with Kida. :)

Our boy (Border Collie x Golden Retriever) is Baxter. We often call him Baxi. Our girl (Rough Collie x Australian Shelpherd) is Molly. When we adopted Baxter, that was his name and it suits him so we kept it. Molly didn't come with a name, but she just *looks* like a Molly so that's what we named her. We enjoy calling her Molly-the-Collie. :) The names Baxi and Molly flow well together too.

Edited by WillametteMom
typo

Cute pic!

With both of our dogs we just went through the alphabet throwing out a name for each letter. We knew when we had the right one. The other animals have either come pre-named or have been named by the child responsible for them. (And let me tell you, those names are always eye rollers!)

Our Doberman's name is Paul. The breeder had already named him by the time we got him at 8 months old. She would have a theme for each litter, and the theme for Paul's litter was "The Beatles". He was, obviously, named after Paul McCartney because he was the sweetest of the bunch. I have to agree, our Paul is incredibly sweet.

BTW, your new puppy is adorable!

Diann

We have 2 puggles.

Finn M'Coul the Wonder Puggle-

named after the Irish Giant Fin M'Coul. We thought it would be cute to name a little dog after a giant...then the dog kept growing. He is now 45lbs and the biggest puggle anyone had ever seen. Go figure.

3 years ago we fostered/adopted a female puggle whose name was Petunia (yuck). We quickly changed it to Oonagh (the name of Finn M'Coul's wife)once the adoption was final.

I like pairs, though. We have also had Sampson and Delilah (labs), Archibald Anslow ( a jug) , and Hugo the Basset Hound

My husband's dog when we met was Jester. He was an ornery wire-haired terrier mix and his name fit him perfectly. We had him for the first 10 years of our marriage.

Our first dog together was a beautiful red-haired cocker, lab mix who looked just like Lady from Lady and the Tramp. She was named Sasha, since my husband is a Russophile. We knew it was actually a male Russian name, but it sounds feminine to our ears and fit her perfectly.

Our latest dog is another terrier mix and as a puppy looked a lot like a black bear cub. We knew we wanted another Russian name, so we finally setlled on Misha, after the bear mascot from the Moscow olympics.

We have two bassets. We didn't name them because we adopted them from another family and they are 4 and 6.

But, the male's name is Willerbee and the female's name is Buttercup.:)

When we were naming a golden retriever puppy, I wanted to name him Edison or Einstein and hope that he would live up to the genius!:lol:

He's lovely! :001_smile::001_smile:

Our fur-baby provides my screen name and avatar. I chose her name from literature. Scout - from To Kill A Mockingbird.

Previous family dogs have been named:

Captain

Sam (I didn't name him!)

Fortinbras - from Shakespeare and L'Engle

Ajax

Our dog who just passed was named Drogo (patron saint of coffee houses and father to Bilbo).

Our current dog is Huey. He was a stray, and I started calling him Uncle Elizabeth (a reference to the movie I Remember Mama) because he's a little, fluffy shi tzu and I kept goofing and calling him "her". :001_smile: Dh shortened that to UE but ds8 thought he was saying Huey. He told my sister the dog's name was Huey and she bought him a name tag with Huey on it for Christmas, so now that's his name. We never so anything simply around here. :D

Someone dumped a dog at my (then) boyfriend's house about 5 years ago--in the freezing rain--and she cowered under a tree and cried for a few days before she finally accepted food from him. We named her Zoey because, well, she just looked like it. I was ironic, really, that we named her that (since it's Greek for "life"), because we discovered a couple of weeks later that she was gaining rather a lot of weight--and it wasn't the weight of good food and fine accomodations. :001_huh:

We think she's a cross between a lab and a Plott hound, and the 8 puppies that came a couple of months later looked sort of hound/lab/rottweiler/pitbull-ish. My son picked out the runt of the litter, who looked more black lab than anything...the deep-chested howl came about five months later.

At the time we were reading Watership Down, and we decided to name him Fiver since he was the runt. When we take him for walks around the neighborhood (mostly older people), they ask his name and invariably say, "Why did you name him FiBer?" :001_smile:

post-74-13535086039253_thumb.jpg

post-74-13535086039451_thumb.jpg

We have 2 ASD and they are named Sampson (he came with the name as he was a rescue) and Toragana ( we call her Tori, she is named after a Turkish ruler from the 1200 time period)

Our previous dogs were Chappy(terrier mix who came with the name)

Paterson( rescue ASD who came with the name, it was the town he was from and he would only respond to that name)

Josephine(husky/golden x) It fit her!

Hannah(chessie/aussie x)

Our Akita puppy is Tenshi, which means angel. Since the breed is Japanese in origin we started with the A's in our Japanese children's dictionary. We got stuck arguing at S with Sanso (warrior) and Suki (love) but all agreed on Tenshi when we got to the T's!

Try calling the loudly, softly, sternly, etc before deciding. I refused a lot of names because I couldn't picture myself calling them!

As a final note, she does not currently live up to her name. :lol:

post-137-13535086039627_thumb.jpg

Tinkerbelle....(tinkie-pooper-poopy-moochie--moochie poopie-mutt head-belle belle)

she was named before we got her-she was the last of the litter -but sometimes I wonder if the lady was desparate to get rid of her and saw I had on a tinkerbell tshirt and just said that so I'd get her LOL....ahem! :auto:

Bob, called Bo-Bo a lot was my dh's idea based on the Peroit episode with the little white dog. Our Bob is a huge Anatolian....

Tanzie, my Dad's dog that came to love with us when he died.

OP, your pup looks like a Sebastian to me. HE is so, so cute!!

My black lab mix is Rosie (dd named her after Rosalie from Twilight because she disliked them both), and my...Tree Walker Coon Hound (who was supposed to have been a beagle/basset mix :lol::lol:) is named Huckleberry Pi, or Huck for short (as well as Critter and Buster - we call him many things; he's just crazy happy to be called :)) , based on name suggestions from here and the fact that my kids wanted to name him 3.14 :D.

What a sweet pup you have!!

Edited by LauraGB