Menu

Cats and new kitten jealousy.. help

We have a 2yo girl calico/tabby, a 1yo girl himalayan/tabby, and now a new little 2mo girl himalayan/tabby. We've adopted each when they were about 2mo from stray momma cats at my mom's house, so they're all related.

Our 2yo calico was hesitant, but ends up liking the baby each time. Although with this new kitten, our 1yo himalayan/tabby cannot stand the kitten.... growl, hiss, run off, freak out... like she's scared of the little furball. :glare:

I'm wondering if this is normal, maybe for that breed of cat, and she'll come around... or if she'll always be like that... or if maybe because she's not spayed yet, her hormones are causing her to be freakish. She's been 'scared' for about 8mo now, even before we got this new kitten. The oldest cat has been spayed, in case that info will help. ;)

So, does anyone have any advice, suggestions, etc to offer??

Thanks so much!!

^^

' '

><

Same boat. The older got along fine. But the baby of the house was not happy when new cute kitten came along.

Unfortunately we lost the older, than it was just the two of them. Finally after two yrs., they are playing. Of course the baby thinks the older one is the cats meow.

It just takes alot of time. They will work it out. Its not the breed or spay, because I have Bombay and Burmese. Its just territory.

Good luck,

Jeannette

We have a 2yo girl calico/tabby, a 1yo girl himalayan/tabby, and now a new little 2mo girl himalayan/tabby. We've adopted each when they were about 2mo from stray momma cats at my mom's house, so they're all related.

Our 2yo calico was hesitant, but ends up liking the baby each time. Although with this new kitten, our 1yo himalayan/tabby cannot stand the kitten.... growl, hiss, run off, freak out... like she's scared of the little furball. :glare:

I'm wondering if this is normal, maybe for that breed of cat, and she'll come around... or if she'll always be like that... or if maybe because she's not spayed yet, her hormones are causing her to be freakish. She's been 'scared' for about 8mo now, even before we got this new kitten. The oldest cat has been spayed, in case that info will help. ;)

So, does anyone have any advice, suggestions, etc to offer??

Thanks so much!! ^^

' '

I'd say it's normal, and not so much a breed of cat kind of deal as just your cat's personality.

We currently have an older cat that starts hissing like a new cat has entered her territory when one of the other cats gets back from a 20 minute vet visit!

Some cats take longer to "adapt" to each other than others. I've determined it's a personality issue (at least it always has been for the multitude of cats we've had over the years).