Menu

How old before you let your teen drive?

Just wondering how old was your teen (how old will they be) before you let them pursu  

1. 1. Just wondering how old was your teen (how old will they be) before you let them pursu

• As soon as the state allows (if less than 16)
    • The typical age, 16
    • 18+
    • Other

My oldest was closer to 17. He has anxiety issues that kept him from getting his license. He's a good drive now. It frustrated him that we made him wait but it was what he needed. My 16 year old got his license today he was more ready.

Drivers who get their license after age 16 have FEWER accidents their first year driving...

The initial insurance rates are lower because of this (lower risk).

We have USAA insurance.

I asked them if we were to allow dd to get her license at 16, if her rates would lower at age 17-- if she was accident free-- they said NO!

Drivers who get their license after age 16 have

This is what I have always understood, too. I have read (and been told by our insurance agent) that 16-18 year olds have the highest proportion of fatal accidents, and that age is larger determinant of having an accident than experience.

Tara

I would have let our dd start pursuing her license as soon as the law allowed, but she was not ready to do that. We pushed her to get her license just after she turned 17. I was not going to drive her back and forth to the community college, so she needed to get going.

I also think that each child is different, so I wouldn't have a hard and fast rule about it. I would assume that I would let them on the early end, but it depends. :)