Menu

Dental implant or bridge? I'm terrified!

My dentist, that I trust very much and really like, has recommended I get a dental implant. I'm missing a lower molar, the 2nd to last tooth. It had enough decay that he couldn't save the tooth. This happened last July and he said it would be fine to wait until January so I could reevaluate my dental insurance and get a medical spending account (whatever it is called). He filled the space, creating a small tooth to fill the hole temporarily.

So now it's January and I'm in a panic. I do not think I can do a dental implant. I read about them and I feel a genuine stark terror type fear. I am a major wimp when it comes to dental work. My dentist is so good with me but I still suffer anxiety just to get my teeth cleaned. He has recommended an oral surgeon but I don't think I can do it.

So what are my options? He also told me about a bridge but for some reason I seem to recall him talking about needing something surgically put into that spot anyway. Do I really have to have something in this space? My mom has had teeth pulled and didn't have them replaced and said she hasn't had any problems.

So what about a bridge? I know the teeth on either side have to be filed down. I think the back molar has a filling anyway. But if I get a bridge, what happens to the empty space where the tooth used to be? I don't think I have anything there except the temporary filling stuff. I'm assuming that won't work long term.

I know I need to talk with him. I have a cleaning appt. next week but I wanted to hear other opinions and experiences. Honestly? I would like to avoid surgery. Is it possible?

My husband is missing a molar. He just has the gap. The issue is that teeth can move with it, but he's doing fine with the space.

I have two bridges. I wore Maryland bridges for a number of years. When I was ready for something permanent, I went with bridges over implants because I couldn't stand the idea of the surgery. The drawback is that I'll have to have bridges forever since the surrounding teeth were filed down to stubs. It's a tough choice.

Any empty space is filled by the bridge. If you didn't know I had them and which teeth, you'd never know.

I'm missing the one that would have been right next to the wisdom tooth, from 22. The wisdom tooth has migrated into that spot -- it now sits right next to the other tooth. It's the only wisdom tooth I didn't need to get pulled.

But the teeth do move.

I had an implant placed when I was a teenager. I have had it almost 15 years now. It really isn't that bad. You will be asleep when they place the screw. It will heal for a while. They take impressions and craft your tooth. Then they pop it on and screw it down. Fill the hole and you are done. It is a breeze to take care of and I love it. The only painful part will be post op, but I had my wisdom teeth out at the same time so that made me forget about the implant.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I had dental surgery last spring. They had to do bone grafting and gum repair. I was so anxious about it and dreading it so much. However, it really wasn't that bad. It was done by an oral surgeon. I was put under and woke up when it was all over. I had pain pills and was on a liquid diet for a couple of days (lots of fruit smoothies!). The anticipation was much worse than the actual event. It wasn't even as bad as having my wisdom teeth out as a teenager (also done with oral surgery). I would personally choose a dental implant.

:grouphug: to you. I know this isn't an easy decision.

Dd is going to be evaluated for an implant soon. (You need to be 18.) She lost one of the teeth towards the front in an accident. However, it it had been a molar we would have just left the space. No reason to kill good teeth for a bridge. The mechanics of the mouth tend to push the teeth forward. With a molar missing, any molars behind the missing tooth will move forward to fill the space. It wouldn't cause any cosmetic damage. If you were talking about missing a bunch of molars, you would have issues with chewing. Just one? I'd just let it go and do nothing. Part of me wishes we had just pulled the corresponding tooth on the opposite side of dd's missing tooth and allowed the teeth to all move forward. It wasn't suggested at the time. It would have kept us from dealing with braces, bridges, an implant, and removing the two wisdom teeth on top. People might have looked at her smile and wondered why it looked a little different, but many people are genetically missing the two teeth that would have been gone; dd's were congenitally small anyway.

I lost a second to last molar 15 years ago and opted to do a crown bridge - I regret it now. The space under the bridge has had significant bone loss and its effecting the last molar, to the point where I now need to go with an implant (with bone grafting) or lose the two teeth that were filed down to crown with the bridge and get a lower back denture. My dentist was quite frank about it - crown bridges save your smile, but you do have bone loss because there is no challenge to the bone under the crown. I'm having the implant done - not fun, but the idea of a denture, not for me if I can do something else.

I was reading about dental implant procedures last night and many people talked about just getting numb like at a regular dentist. That would definitely not work with me or they would have to dope me up so much that I would be physically conscious and mentally unconscious at the same time. I do not react to medications like other people. I read the threads on this board where people share absolutely horrid stories and my reaction to the meds is no different than taking sugar pills. My dentist has to give me a 2nd round of numbing shots during work. I cannot even begin to fathom a simple numbing for something so drastic as oral surgery!

I guess I had better go for the consultation with the oral surgeon and see what he says but I'm planning on talking to my psych doctor and asking for additional anxiety medication. This is crazy! I don't like the idea of a bridge because of the teeth being filed down either. They just both sound like horrid options. My mom says to leave it alone and so what if the back tooth moves foward. I'm thinking that as long as it doesn't affect the rest of my mouth that it shouldn't be too bad. But then again, I don't like the idea of bone loss either.

I was reading about dental implant procedures last night and many people talked about just getting numb like at a regular dentist. That would definitely not work with me or they would have to dope me up so much that I would be physically conscious and mentally unconscious at the same time. I do not react to medications like other people. I read the threads on this board where people share absolutely horrid stories and my reaction to the meds is no different than taking sugar pills. My dentist has to give me a 2nd round of numbing shots during work. I cannot even begin to fathom a simple numbing for something so drastic as oral surgery!

I guess I had better go for the consultation with the oral surgeon and see what he says but I'm planning on talking to my psych doctor and asking for additional anxiety medication. This is crazy! I don't like the idea of a bridge because of the teeth being filed down either. They just both sound like horrid options. My mom says to leave it alone and so what if the back tooth moves foward. I'm thinking that as long as it doesn't affect the rest of my mouth that it shouldn't be too bad. But then again, I don't like the idea of bone loss either.

I'm having mine done under general anesthesia - no way do I want to be awake or even in twilight. I had twilight for the crowns, but the implant stuff - I do not even want to know what's going on!

Ask how many implants your dentist has done. You want somebody who has done a lot.

We knew the guy who helped pioneer implants and originally taught most of the east coast surgeons how to do them-- now deceased-- and there are good and bad implants. People who could manage it would even travel to see either Dr. Thompson or somebody he directly trained. You could ask where your doc learned to do implants, as well as how many he/ she has performed.

I am checking the certification of the doctors at the practice that I've been referred to. It looks like the youngest one graduated in only 2007. I will not schedule surgery with her.

I talked with my dental office and found out the tooth needs to be extracted and then have an implant put in. I don't know how much of it is there right now. I also found out that I'm not a good candidate for just letting it go because with no lower tooth to keep the upper tooth in check, that upper tooth can grow down into the empty space. I've never heard of that.

I have a consultation with the oral surgeon on Monday afternoon. I'll have lots of questions.

Tigger, I'm going to ask about the anesthesia. Part of the decision will depend on the length of the surgery. Molars can sometimes require more than one implant. Doing only one implant will take about an hour. I think anotehr hour is added on for each extra implant. I want to know what I will experience if I have an IV anesthesia. If it sounds horrid, I will probably go with the general.

Tigger, I'm going to ask about the anesthesia. Part of the decision will depend on the length of the surgery. Molars can sometimes require more than one implant. Doing only one implant will take about an hour. I think anotehr hour is added on for each extra implant. I want to know what I will experience if I have an IV anesthesia. If it sounds horrid, I will probably go with the general.

I'm opting for the anesthesia since I watched the videos online - I never should have watched them! LOL

The only sticking point for me for the anesthesia is that if our medical insurance won't pay, I have to pay for it out-of-pocket. Right now I'm waiting to hear from the insurance about whether it'll be covered or not - but the oral surgeon I'm going to usually does get the surgery paid for (at the hospital he has privileges) because he's a DDS and MD, so I can submit the surgery portion through my health insurance (which will also cover the bone graft I need) and the dental through the dental insurance (although our insurance doesn't cover implants, it does cover the extractions of my two molars).

• 2 months later...

spam reported

I have a dental implant to replace a molar. I had a vertical root fracture. The tooth extraction was far, far worse than the dental implant. Everything was done under local anesthesia, no general, no numbing. IMO, the worst part is the noise that the drill and the hardware placement make inside your head.

You can read my story here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316798&highlight=implant

Anyway, fast forward to where I am. This is a front tooth and I had to have it removed and a lot of bone graft done since it had become infected. I took a valium about an hour before, a second valium at the office (both prescription), and she used laughing gas and novacaine. DH took me in and drove me home. I was very stressed about this but ended up being soooo relaxed! I felt no pain (but I love my dentist!) and she kept chatting with me. Went home and had a long nap.

Well, now it's five months later and I have an appt for an implant to be placed next month. I was told that it's just novacaine and it's really nothing compared to the previous visit. I am hoping/praying that the implant takes and in another 6 months then can fit a crown to it. Through all this I am wearing a flipper, which is a pain, but it looks very good.

I would suggest interviewing a couploe of dentists who say they can do this. We had just made an international move and were living in a hotel when I had this done. I literally opened the phone book and picked two. I went with the one since they say thehy have done well over 1000. They took a lot of time explaining the procedure and they are a pretty large office. Actually they are a periodontal office instead of a dental office.

I can tell you how it all works out in about 7 months! I do hope it will be a success since I really don't want a bridge. We just visited Mt. Vernon and one secition of the museum is on Washington's teeth. I am grateful to live in a time when this is possible!

Jeri

Ask what will happen if the implant fails. It doesn't happen often, but of course it happened to me :001_huh:

My dentist then did the bridge at no further cost, but I think that was partially b/c we had a long run of problems. I would ask.

The bone grafting ahead of time was by far the worst part for me. I would not do that again. Not everyone needs that, though.

I was awake for everything, with valium, novacaine, and laughing gas.

I had an implant. I opted for that over the bridge since it was my front tooth. I had originally lost most of that tooth in a bike accident over 20 years earlier and wore a crown, but the roots finally died and it had become infected.

It was a loooonnngg process. They first had to build up the bone again, and then I had to wear something like a retainer with a fake tooth on it for about a year. During that time, once the bone was built up, they drilled the hole, installed the post, etc.

I was never asleep, and the dentist was great. It never hurt, and I'm really glad I have it. My only complaint is that it was a long process and our insurance didn't cover any of it.

My husband had an implant about two years ago on a molar. About six months later, the whole thing, post and all, just popped out. It was really strange! Now we don't know what to do. The dentist said he would do it again, but we don't think we want him to! He was a different one than the one I had, and not as experienced. But to go with someone else means we'd have to pay the $4,000 all over again! Can't be done, right now. Right now he just has a hole, and it's not a problem. I think eventually we'll have to do something, though.

Ooh, old thread!

Update: I had the tooth (molar) extracted in mid-Feb. I used IV sedation because of my high anxiety. Because of the shape of my roots, the surgeon had hoped to do the implant at the same time, but it wasn't meant to be. Instead, she extracted it and placed a bone graft. I'm healing very well, but the recovery was as bad as I thought it would be. It took me a full two weeks to be pain free, and another week or so of making sure I wasn't biting down on food in that spot because it will still tender.

I go back in on June 4th for a follow-up and if all is well, we'll schedule the implant for early July. She has assured me it is a simple procedure like drilling a cavity so it can be done with just novacaine. I'm going to trust that, but I think I'll ask her if the laughing gas can be a standby just in case.

I was at the dentist yesterday for a separate procedure, and while I was there he went through the explanation of his part in the implant process again to reassure me. He showed me a model of what the implant will look like and how he will screw in the post and mount the tooth onto that. I'm feeling okay about it.

My husband had an implant about two years ago on a molar. About six months later, the whole thing, post and all, just popped out. It was really strange! Now we don't know what to do. The dentist said he would do it again, but we don't think we want him to! He was a different one than the one I had, and not as experienced. But to go with someone else means we'd have to pay the $4,000 all over again! Can't be done, right now. Right now he just has a hole, and it's not a problem. I think eventually we'll have to do something, though.

That's exactly what happened to me, although I think it was less than six months. My dentist said it was my body rejecting the foreign object. He is very experienced with implants; he said very few people reject titanium, but it can happen. No way was I trying again, lol, but if your dh thinks it was a fluke, he might want to. I'm allergic to lotsa stuff, so . . . yeah, not trying again.

Ooh, old thread!

Update: I had the tooth (molar) extracted in mid-Feb. I used IV sedation because of my high anxiety. Because of the shape of my roots, the surgeon had hoped to do the implant at the same time, but it wasn't meant to be. Instead, she extracted it and placed a bone graft. I'm healing very well, but the recovery was as bad as I thought it would be. It took me a full two weeks to be pain free, and another week or so of making sure I wasn't biting down on food in that spot because it will still tender.

I go back in on June 4th for a follow-up and if all is well, we'll schedule the implant for early July. She has assured me it is a simple procedure like drilling a cavity so it can be done with just novacaine. I'm going to trust that, but I think I'll ask her if the laughing gas can be a standby just in case.

I was at the dentist yesterday for a separate procedure, and while I was there he went through the explanation of his part in the implant process again to reassure me. He showed me a model of what the implant will look like and how he will screw in the post and mount the tooth onto that. I'm feeling okay about it.

Ha, I didn't even notice that the spammer had bumped an old thread! Glad things are going well. I can attest to the fact that the post placement is really no worse than having a cavity filled. Just don't accidentally swallow the post collar like. . . uh. . . someone I know (it's teeny. . .I, uh I mean she is fine :D).

Ironically, I went to the dentist this a.m. for a loose crown and discovered I am going to need a second implant. :glare: I'm hoping they can do the extraction and implant all at the same time.

You definitely need to fill the space one way or another. I lost a bottom tooth and waited years to have something done. I ended up needing a bridge and a root canal. One of my top teeth dropped down trying to fill the whole. Also, one of the bottom teeth is leaning over now.

I was terrified of dental work and waited a long time to have anything done. Trust me, it just makes it worse.

Suzanne

Beth,

Good for you for going through with it!! It's good to do it soon because you can have bone loss in the jaw if you wait and then it gets more complicated. My 21 yo dd had congenitally missing teeth (2) and we didn't do anything about it after she lost her baby teeth at 15. Her retainer kept her teeth from moving after braces. She had implants done this past summer, while she is still on our insurance before she graduates from college. I'm really glad we didn't wait longer because her jaw bone had gotten very narrow there. The oral surgeon was able to enlarge it by putting in some stuff he called "bone in a bottle" but it almost needed a graft. She just had the impressions taken for the teeth this week. It has been a loooong process. It would have been easier, and probably cheaper, if we had done it sooner! So as much as you dread it, sooner is better :001_smile:

Mary

• 2 months later...
Guest castillonewsom

Replacing of missing teeth is very important for your general health and to the health of your other teeth. As a patient, you can face many difficult decisions to undergo surgery to insert dental implants to replace your missing teeth. It is a great treatment and you can it by good dentist in your area.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jacksmith

Dental implants are placed directly into the bone where the teeth are missing,that bone is then re-inforced and protected.Dental implants are then built into your gum line this is can also prevent or reduce further loss of bone.

Skipping to the bottom... I have a removable partial bridge.  I am unable to get implant,  I am "not a good candidate."  

Something to know, if you get an implant, it is better for your gums.  Ask if you may have gum problems in the future if you do not get an implant.  It is something they track with me, but I am fine, too.  

Here is why I don't have a permanent bridge.  I would have to have caps put on two or four of my teeth.  They would have to be ground.  They would possibly have to replace them, and grind the teeth again, 3 or 4 times in my life.  I am still young enough that it is not attractive.  If I was older -- possible.  Depending on your situation they may not need to grind or cap any of your teeth.  But -- I have small teeth, I have two missing in a row.  It is what it is.  

Cons of a removable partial bridge, what I have.  Some people find them uncomfortable.  I have a metal one, not plastic, I had plastic in the past, metal is much nicer.  I have to spend money on it every now and then.  If my mouth gets a scratch and swells, it is painful to wear.  I cannot eat Doritos chips for this reason -- for some reason they do it every time. If it is cold, my mouth will get cold from the metal if I talk a lot (and it does have to be pretty cold for this to happen).  

I think -- talk to your dentist about the pros and cons of every option.  I think they all have pros and cons.  It is the pros and cons that work for YOU.  

• 8 months later...
Guest chriskyle

Really its a very complicated to take any decision regarding your dental health as i have suffered from  a serious dental problem in a past!My suggestion to you is to seek any professional advice from any reputed dentist.I consulted one of reputed dentist of Austin, Tx http://lonestarperio.com/periodontal-treatments/dental-implants/ , he is really a genius in his work!

• 3 months later...
Guest LesleeHolmes

Got three dental implants last month as I had an accident two months back and lost three of my molar- God, it was horrible. Still getting relieved from the physical troubles and shock. Implants will cost a fortune I swear..  It was about £1600 per tooth for mine. It really pains a lot while getting the root inserted and they will tell to take a break until it fuses with bones. The process was done in 4-5 sessions I guess. But still a good treatment. Thanks to my dentist Dr.Carlo from Southgate - http://www.southgatedental.co.uk/