Menu

What's for dinner at your house?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH made the yummiest grilled cheese sandwiches with lots of fresh tomato

and whole grain bread, grilled in a little butter.

Cream of tomato soup on the side.

Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and pecans for dessert.

San Pellegrino fizzy water to drink.

YUM! I love DH!

I made Italian subs last night, based on a sandwich we used to buy at a corner pizza place in New Jersey.

Our version last night had home-made sub-type rolls, sauteed onions and bell peppers and baked potato chunks smothered in home-made marinara sauce.

It doesn't sound especially healthy, and is definitely carb heavy, but it felt like comfort food for a cold-for-Florida evening.

The night before, we had burritos made with seasoned black beans, rice, onions, corn and bell peppers.

I haven't decided about what to make tonight yet.

I am making the dinners for my family now since my mom is pregnant and her back hurts her, but I enjoy it. Tonight I made American Chop Suey with Garlic Bread. (Since I diet, I ate a low fat chicken sandwich with grapes and a glass of water).

Tomorrow night is French Fried Onion Chicken, Mashed Potatoes w/gravy, and garlic string beans on the side. I am not having that though!:)

Cheyenne, you sound like a lovely daughter!

Last night I made two soups; chicken noodle and Avogolemono (Greek chicken lemon rice soup. SO easy). I LOVE Avogolemono, but dh and Zee like chicken noodle better. They both start with chicken and broth, so it was easy to divide it into two small pots and make two different kinds. We had homemade rolls with it. Mmmmm....

It's a new night so I have a new answer. We had spaghetti with homemade meatballs, salad, and cheddar/garlic biscuits. We haven't had spaghetti in awhile so I was really craving some. I have to make a red and alfredo sauce as some don't like the red and vice-versa.

Myeightkiddies:

Spaghetti and meatballs are a real favourite in our house.

I love reading these types of threads; they give me so many ideas for supper!

Yesterday, we had mahi mahi, steamed in foil packets in the oven, flavored with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seafood spice / steamed spinach / and fresh mushrooms sauteed it butter.

Tonight was Parmesan chicken, baked on a rack in the oven / faux-tatoes (cooked cauliflower processed with cream cheese into mashed potato consistency) / and lima beans mixed with sour cream.

Tomorrow will be pork chops and green beans in the crockpot with an organic cream of mushroom soup / and organic brown rice.

Last night was Alton Brown's Good Eats meatloaf. DH joked that it was a vegetable garden in a meat veneer, but he always eats it and likes it.

Tonight I made homemade pizza because I'm an amazing mother! (OK, we had co-op today and stopped at Trader Joes on the way home where I bought: pizza dough, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and pepperoni)

Last night was Alton Brown's Good Eats meatloaf. DH joked that it was a vegetable garden in a meat veneer, but he always eats it and likes it.

Tonight I made homemade pizza because I'm an amazing mother! (OK, we had co-op today and stopped at Trader Joes on the way home where I bought: pizza dough, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and pepperoni)

KungFuPanda:

Well, yes, I agree; with us, pizza is a great favorite.

Actually homemade banana bread and regular bread, lol...and for some of us, grilled cheese on homemade bread :tongue_smilie:. Hubby had ham leftovers. I didn't feel like cooking either, but Thursdays are normally grab what you can nights, so...everyone grabbed what they wanted :D

Actually homemade banana bread and regular bread, lol...and for some of us, grilled cheese on homemade bread :tongue_smilie:. Hubby had ham leftovers. I didn't feel like cooking either, but Thursdays are normally grab what you can nights, so...everyone grabbed what they wanted :D

CountryGirl2:

Grilled cheese on bread is actually a great side dish with pizza, especially if visitors come over ...

We had grass-fed beef for the first time! We made the switch completely away from processed, GMO, CAFO foods the 1st of the year and decided to try grass-fed beef today.

How did you like it? You may find it much leaner which means it can dry out quickly. Cook steaks at higher temps to sear and shorter times to acheive an inside that is medium (or less if it's your preference). They taste better that way. Hope it was great! :D

How did you like it? You may find it much leaner which means it can dry out quickly. Cook steaks at higher temps to sear and shorter times to acheive an inside that is medium (or less if it's your preference). They taste better that way. Hope it was great! :D

CountryGirl:

Actually, steaks (or burgers) grilled outside on the barbecue seems to taste better, somehow ... don't you think?

CountryGirl2:

Grilled cheese on bread is actually a great side dish with pizza, especially if visitors come over ...

Grilled cheese or PBJ's have been served to many a kid whose been here around meal times, lol. I love them, but was bummed because I had no tomato soup...that's what I plan to can this year if I get a good crop of tomatoes. We need lots of yummy tomato soup. I can eat PBJ's or grilled cheese with it..dipping both. My kids go :001_huh: at me when I'm dipping a PBJ, :lol:

Grilled cheese or PBJ's have been served to many a kid whose been here around meal times, lol. I love them, but was bummed because I had no tomato soup...that's what I plan to can this year if I get a good crop of tomatoes. We need lots of yummy tomato soup. I can eat PBJ's or grilled cheese with it..dipping both. My kids go :001_huh: at me when I'm dipping a PBJ, :lol:

CountryGirl2:

Well, sounds good.

Actually we have stocked up on tomato soup because it was on special. It's quite versatile for serving options, really.

USGAL:

Sounds like you guys have the privilege of being close to Mexican culture. Mexican food = yummy. We often eat Mexican.

We live in Mexico, but I do all the cooking. you would be surprised how simple most of the food is to make. I didn't grow up eating Mexican food, but I think I have it down now. :D

Danielle

We had fried rice. Fry a selection of vegetables, cut into small dice, in vegetable oil. These must include onions (preferably scallions/spring onions) and garlic. Slices of fresh ginger are good too. With them fry a few rashers of bacon (cut up small) or 1/4 cup of cubed ham. Put the veg and bacon onto a plate when only just cooked. Make a quick omelette with two or three eggs. Put it onto the veg plate. Fry steamed rice (white or brown) until cooked through - make it crispy or soft as you prefer. When it is really hot, mix back in the other ingredients, breaking up the omelette into small pieces. Stir well and heat through. Season with a little salt.

A meal in one dish. My boys' favourite comfort food.

Laura

Chicken Chilequilles Casserole: Pulverize one large jar of your favorite salsa. Pour half of it in bottom of 9x13 pan. Make a layer of 6 corn tortillas. Layer of melting mexican cheese. Layer of one can of black beans. Layer of cooked, shredded chicken. Layer of 6 corn tortillas. Layer of the rest of the salsa. Layer of melting cheese. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Chicken Chilequilles Casserole: Pulverize one large jar of your favorite salsa. Pour half of it in bottom of 9x13 pan. Make a layer of 6 corn tortillas. Layer of melting mexican cheese. Layer of one can of black beans. Layer of cooked, shredded chicken. Layer of 6 corn tortillas. Layer of the rest of the salsa. Layer of melting cheese. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

I love Chilequilles! This recipe sounds delish!

curried lentils with sourdough (I probably won't have any) and salads. I have decided to switch out toppings for salad weekly so we don't get bored. This week our toppings are steamed broccoli, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, baby corn, dried (unsweetened) cranberries, along with a slew of regular toppings like cukes, red pepper, green pepper. We also have romaine and herb salad.

Saturday night I made gluten-dairy-soy free lasagna. The kids all love it EXCEPT Oldest. He made his special chicken veg soup. (1 large can chicken, 1 box chicken stock, 1/2 cup or so peas and carrots heated through)