Menu

X-post: I need a writing program! Or do I?

birchbark

We are happy HoD users. HoD attacks LA through CM skills in the guide (copywork, dictation, narration and written narration), R&S English gently paced, and once you get to middle grades, an additional writing instruction program. This year, IEW's Medieval History-Based Lessons are scheduled, and I'm just not feeling the love. It seems too technical, too scattered, and I feel that DS is just not getting much out of it for the effort he puts in. HoD schedules the lessons in short bites, and I have been willing to stick with it til now. But I think we're done. I'm ready to take another tack.

I know writing programs have been discussed on these boards ad nauseum. But I thought I'd stick my feelers out for some good rec's. Anyone know of something short and sweet and gets the job done? And meshes well with R&S? I'm even considering going out on my own and getting Comprehensive Composition for structure. Does anyone have experience with this book?

Another thought is to drop the separate writing program altogether. I've been really happy with the CM skills and R&S. One area I might want to shore up is outlining. I could get a workbook such as this.

I've been thinking about writing lately and wondering if we're doing our kids a disservice by dissecting it to death. I read Ruth Beechick last year and remember feeling very inspired. Maybe I should get her out again.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about writing lately and wondering if we're doing our kids a disservice by dissecting it to death. I read Ruth Beechick last year and remember feeling very inspired. Maybe I should get her out again.

Thoughts?

I tend to agree. I have found the combined method of copywork, dictation, and tons of written narration to be highly effective with my kids. It is producing confident and capable writers here. My 'gut feeling' over the years has been to not use writing programs. When I have ignored that feeling and tried a program it has been very limited in effectiveness, but the most success has come from the more 'natural' method.

I also love 'The Writer's Jungle' from Bravewriter. It's very inspiring to read and gives lots of advice on guiding children in their writing. It is based on a more CM methodology.

HTH