Menu

Want to change curriculum...

Mommy_of_4

DS is 4.5 and is an accelerated learner. We started him on Horizons Pre-K at age 3. He flew through it so I ordered him the K Lifepacs. Well he is now almost done with Grade 1. We use Lifepacs for everything but math. He uses Horizons 1 for math is doing great with it. I think DS needs a more challenging curriculum. He loves workbooks. He would never go for something like FLL. At least I don't he would. What would you recommend? Would Abeka be a good fit? I want to change everything but math. He does school maybe an hr a day right now. We don't do school unless he asks but that seems to be about every day. We do nature walks, library books and he plays outside a ton. He is just an eager little learner!

Lynn,

It really depends on how accelerated a learner your son is. The faster his learning speed the more inappropriate traditional materials will be. Many accelerated learners are asynchronous in the speed of learning in each subject. My ds(11) is doing high school math and literature, college science, middle school writing, and elementary school spelling. Using Life Pacs or any grade-level box set would not work for him. Perhaps you need to consider evaluating each subject and picking a curriculum appropriate for his level in that subject. BUT (and this is a big BUT), he is 4.5 years old.

At this age, for academics, I would recommend:

1) teaching him to read

2) doing oral math word problems and estimation games while you walk around

3) and reading to him good, high quality books.

That is it.

I taught my son to read and write his letters at 5, started workbook style math at 6.5, and delayed all other *formal* curriculum until he was 7. Obviously he was still learning tons from me reading to him, talking to him, exploring nature, doing science experiments, watching documentaries, etc. So the key here is the use of "formal" curriculum, not the delay in learning. I think it is great that you are only doing work when he wants to do it, but be aware that there may be times when he takes off as much as 3 months, and you need to be ok with that. My ds read his first book at age 2 (almost 3), but showed no interest again until he was 5. I think if I pushed him, expecting a linear increase in reading skill, he would have learned to hate books. Little kids can be fickle. So pay attention to the subtle hints he gives you.

And here is some things to think about from someone who has BTDT. I remember the excitement of realizing the level my ds was working at, at such a young age. I remember him scoring as a 25 year old on spacial skills and working memory when he was 6. I remember calling my mom, with the thrill. But I am telling you, you must think of the big picture. Don't burn him out. Don't make him into more than a little boy. Think about where he needs to be academically in 5 years, and the most important thing he needs to have to do well in school is a good attitude and a strong desire to learn. That is your goal with a 4.5 year old.

JMHO and hope this was helpful.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I did Horizons First Grade with my son when he was four, but that was before I knew about Right Start. When my daughter is ready, we will not be doing Horizons. The first grade was okay, but by second grade I felt that they pushed kids into traditional algorithms way too fast. I also didn't think that for gifted children, there was enough curriculum compaction. By that I mean that gifted children really don't need to do problem after problem after problem. It's not fair to them to drown them in drill and kill, when they are capable of moving faster. I have a full review of Horizons here on my blog.

Also, and interesting note is that SWB and JW do not include Horizons in their recommended math programs in the WTM. Of course, some people really like Horizons, I'm just not one of them.

Using Life Pacs or any grade-level box set would not work for him. Perhaps you need to consider evaluating each subject and picking a curriculum appropriate for his level in that subject.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Think outside the box. <pardon the pun :lol:>

Also, some of those boxed sets just aren't that good for developing critical thinking skills. The kids are easily able to fill in the blanks and move on, without having to think about what they're doing. Not all are like that, but some are. So just something to be aware of.

BUT (and this is a big BUT), he is 4.5 years old.

At this age, for academics, I would recommend:

1) teaching him to read

2) doing oral math word problems and estimation games while you walk around

3) and reading to him good, high quality books.

That is it.

:iagree: My oldest was reading and doing math above grade level at 4.5, but I didn't do anything formal with him. We just kept reading books, going to the library a lot, discussing math topics as they came up in conversation. We had great van conversations about multiplication, negative numbers, and other such topics. It's amazing how much he learned when I didn't do school with him. I think his learning would have been squashed if I'd tried to direct it at that point. I started accelerating him halfway through 1st grade when he was finally starting to get bored with school (that's also when I pulled him out to homeschool). I don't at all regret waiting to accelerate until he was 6.

My middle child has started formal work on an inconsistent basis ("when he wants to") at age 4, but he doesn't pick things up on his own very easily and needs the extra time to work on the basics (I had to explicitly teach colors and counting to 10 with a workbook, though he picked them up right away from that). He's not really accelerated. He works no more than 10-15 minutes in a day on "school". If he turns out to need to be accelerated a lot like his big brother, I'll wait until closer to 1st grade age to do that, most likely. My third child is a lot like my oldest, and I can see him maybe doing some first grade stuff at 5 years old, but I don't think I'd start massive acceleration at age 4 with him, even if he is able to read/write/do-math at that age.

Of course, all kids are different, and I'm not saying YOU shouldn't do such and such at age 4. If your kid is PG, you might need to do something at 4. I have no experience with PG kids - they're a whole different animal.

Just think about what your goals are, and whether your kid will head toward burn-out if you continue the way you are. A love of learning is most important, so as long as your child loves what he's doing, it's all good! If you meet resistance to anything at this age, that means "I'm not ready" (even if his brain is capable of doing the math/reading/whatever).

Also, and interesting note is that SWB and JW do not include Horizons in their recommended math programs in the WTM. Of course, some people really like Horizons, I'm just not one of them.

Eh... lack of being in the WTM book means nothing. SWB and JW didn't intend to list every single "good curriculum". And I've seen enough people use Horizons and have good results. Look at 8FillTheHeart's kid that's doing AoPS Calculus in 10th grade - he clearly understands math. He did Horizons through the 6th grade level. Look at MaMa2005's 6 year old who is I think doing Horizons Pre-Algebra now? I doubt that child is having any issue understanding math. ;)

I don't use Horizons, and have ruled it out for various reasons for my family, but it's not a horrible program that no one should use. :)

Thanks for all the replies. He should be done with everything but math by Feb. most likely. My plan now is to just review until about August and work on handwriting and reading comprehension. He will be 5 in July. Maybe spectrum workbooks would be good for that and the Abeka grade 1 readers? I honestly feel more comfortable with picking one publisher and staying with them for Science, History and LA. I am too afraid we will totally miss something if I pick and choose what to do one year to the next. I know new homeschooler worries. I am trying to decide what I need to get him for next fall. I plan on ordering when we have the tax return. If I wait any later to order I am afraid we won't have the money. We do not do school unless he asks. I was lucky to get him to take Christmas eve and Christmas off. Yesterday he did 3 math lessons because he wanted too. He has always been like that, at 18 months he would want to sit in my lap all day and do ABC's and numbers. He would also spend literately all day at about that age in his room just looking at books.

Edited by Lynn213220

I know this has already been said but boxed curriculums are really not a good fit for accelerated kids. I understand your worry about missing something because I felt exactly the same way when I first started. Reading the Well Trained Mind helped a lot. The bottom line is if you have an accelerated child you are going to go through material a lot faster and the boxed curriculums are just too easy most of the time.

You mentioned using your tax return to buy curriculum. Cost is another reason to avoid boxed material. Things like Explode the Code for learning phonics are MUCH less expensive than programs that have all the readers included. You can use library books. I think the Explode the Code books are $8 or so each. I think the normal pace is 2 books per year but we finished all 8 in 2 years. Doing the equivalent in Abeka or something else would have cost a fortune.

If you haven't read the WTM I would suggest doing so. If nothing else, it makes you feel like you can do this. After that, pick something for phonics & math and read lots of books. After your son is reading well you can add history, science, literature, etc. You can do things informally on your nature walks and with library books to keep him interested and engaged.

I honestly feel more comfortable with picking one publisher and staying with them for Science, History and LA. I am too afraid we will totally miss something if I pick and choose what to do one year to the next.

You cannot "miss" anything in Science or History with a 5 year old. These 2 subjects are not linear or cumulative, so you are fine to just pick a topic and go to the library. If you want more organization, start him at age 5 on the WTM track of Ancients for History, and Biology for Science. Then go to the library with a laundry basket. You do NOT need a curriculum for these 2 subjects for a 5 year old.

Language arts: For a 5 year old, language arts includes learning to read, phonics, and handwriting. At 6 you could add in spelling and narration, at 7 you can add grammar and beginning composition. So at age 5, you need a handwriting workbook and a phonics workbook (if you want, we just did it orally while he was learning to read), and some readers. Depending on his acceleration speed, you might be very sorry to have bought grade-1 readers 6 months in advance. When my son learned to read starting on his 5th birthday, he accelerated to grade 4 by age 6 and grade 8 by his 7th birthday. Don't waste your money. Go to the library, mine has lots and lots of readers.

Math: if your son likes math and puzzles, the absolutely best program is MEP math, which happens to be available free online by the UK government. I was a math teacher in a previous life, and I am telling you it is wonderful and challenging, and would allow you to move at the pace your child needs to go without having to buy the next level up even when the current level has not been completed because it was too easy. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

I know new homeschooler worries.
Read the WTM. Susan is a brilliant educator. It will easy your mind.

I am trying to decide what I need to get him for next fall.
Be very careful, or you will buy material that he will already be past by the time August comes. And you will feel so guilty about spending the money that you will want to put him through the material anyway. And he will be bored stiff. I know because I have BTDT.

Ruth in NZ

edited to add: You may not realize that the "solution" for accelerated learners is not just advancing them 1 or 2 grades. Their speed of learning is faster, so not only do they often go through 2 years of material in a single year, these children see connections and complexities that typical curriculum do not delve into. This is why you need to find appropriately difficult curriculum not just bump them up a few grades.

Edited by lewelma

Be very careful, or you will buy material that he will already be past by the time August comes. And you will feel so guilty about spending the money that you will want to put him through the material anyway. And he will be bored stiff. I know because I have BTDT.

:iagree: Take the money from your tax return and set it aside (does your bank let you have free separate savings accounts to stash things into? or at least put it in a savings account that you know you won't touch). Purchase curriculum a couple weeks before you plan to start.

And yes, you really won't be doing 1 grade per year. Let's see... I pulled my son from school in January of last year. We had worked on Math Mammoth 1A after school the previous semester (just a bit each day), then we did MM1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, and part of 4B by November. I then switched to Singapore, since he was starting to slow down (though still doing a grade level in less than a year - it's not 4 grade levels in a year anymore :tongue_smilie:). It's very easy to blow through the K-3 materials VERY quickly, even if you're giving challenging materials (while doing MM, we also did Singapore IP and CWP books, which are quite meaty).

For reading, I don't do a program... I just get library books.

WTM is a great read. It gives you a scope and sequence to keep in mind (even if you're not following it exactly), and it helps you to not forget anything important. ;) There definitely is nothing to miss in social studies for the early elementary crowd. They learn things like neighborhood, community helpers, etc. Stuff your child probably already understands. ;) The science is likewise very basic - things like the water cycle and such.