Menu

Need help placing my daughter in AAS

Jayne J

I am looking at AAS for my daughter, both as a spelling program but also (maybe primarily) as a phonics program. We use OPGTR and I love it and will continue to use it, but she needs lots of reinforcement and review. We are on lesson 95, so slightly less than halfway through the book, learning vowel combinations. If I started her on AAS 1, it looks like we would be spending lots of time on a-z and a few blends, which she already knows. Should we start with 1? Or move on to 2, which is where she is in her phonics program?

(If the consensus is to move quickly through 1 and on to 2, we could probably do that, but money is tight enough that if 2 would suit better and not cause problems I'd prefer not to buy both.)

(If the consensus is to move quickly through 1 and on to 2, we could probably do that, but money is tight enough that if 2 would suit better and not cause problems I'd prefer not to buy both.)

Well, that's what I'd recommend, because it's not just the sounds you're learning, but the rules and just getting used to the program in general. My youngest started AAS 1 after she finished OPGTR and I'm glad we didn't skip that level. The way we were able to save money was by buying used through this forum. I bought Level 1 and the starter set new, but then bought the next 4 levels used.

At that level of reading, I'd be inclined to start at level 1. My first grader was reading at a 4th grade level when we started level 1, and he still learned new things. We went through it VERY quickly though. It took 3 weeks to complete level 1. Level 2 reviews things very quickly, and my son may have been able to start there, but I think doing level 1 was better for him.

At that level of reading, I'd be inclined to start at level 1. My first grader was reading at a 4th grade level when we started level 1, and he still learned new things. We went through it VERY quickly though. It took 3 weeks to complete level 1. Level 2 reviews things very quickly, and my son may have been able to start there, but I think doing level 1 was better for him.

:iagree: Dd went through level 1 in a couple of weeks, but she learned some important things. I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.