Menu

Restaurants for Peanut-Allergy Folks

Your best bet is to check out a restaurant's website first. We always do this with out tree-nut allergy kid. The only trouble I've run into is Red Robin, who requires that you email them a request for allergy warnings and they will email you within 3 days. Not really great if you want to go out to eat that night.

Look under nutrition facts. It really depends on how sensitive she is and how comfortable the family feels.

Applebees and Famous Daves are relatively safe for us (no desserts).

I would go with movie tickets instead, if it were me.

Thanks.

Sigh. It gets kinda frustrating trying to find something. They don't go to movies.

Any other ideas?

They are in a financially tough spot so I was thinking something that would be a treat but still useful.

This might not work for you, but here's what happened to us.

Every year, relatives would send us a gift basket full of gourmet food. It was meant to be a treat to us, especially since we were scraping for grocery money.

Then they heard that half the family had severe allergies to what was being sent. We had never said anything since, well, it was a thoughtful gift and my dh would enjoy it at work. This year, before the holidays, they wrote and asked for any suggestions that would be a treat for the whole family. They ended up sending a gift certificate to our favorite little book shop. They had also considered a museum membership. While I would never have said anything if they hadn't asked, I was excited to receive something all of us could enjoy that had nothing to do with food. :)

I don't know if they are local and it isn't exactly a restaurant but certain Ben and Jerry's locations will do as much as they can for food allergic customers. We are far from one, but we went once and it was delightful since we ordinarily will not go out. But depending on how sensitive the girl is, they may not even be comfortable with that. Personally, we don't like to eat out with our allergic one. It's just uncomfortable and we don't see the practicality of asking for special treatment at most places. I'd definitely try to find something non-food related if you can.

Amazon.com gift cards are pretty good. They can order special PF grocery things like Sunbutter for way less than what it costs in the store. Amazon has a cute service where they will mail a little box with a gc inside, or you can print out a certificate. No additional cost either way.