Menu

BJU Science Questions... I have them.

iamrachelle

Pick one: select as many options as you want, if you choose #7 please give details.  

1. 1. Pick one: select as many options as you want, if you choose #7 please give details.

• Choose BJU DVD for Life Science and teach BJU4 on my own.
    • Skip the DVD for Life Science and just use the Investigations DVD.
    • Combine both DC in Life and use living books for younger midget type.
    • Keep 'em separate, no dvd, no investigations.
    • You've completely lost your mind...
    • Science? Do we really need science?
    • My mad homeschooling wisdom is best. I think you should use:

Poll coming... if I can figure out how to do one.... ETA: Please choose as many options as you'd like on the poll. I went a little crazy with it...

After way too much on-line curriculum comparisons I think I've decided to use BJU for our science studies next year. I have a rising 7th grader and am looking at the Life Science class for her as well as BJU4 science for my rising 4th grader.

For my 7th grader: Are the DVD's worthwhile enough to purchase for the class? What about the Investigations DVD? Is this something I need or is the material on the Investigations DVD included in the class DVD? If the information on the Investigations DVD is included on the course DVD, which one would you choose? (Is this clear as mud, or what?:D)

To shake things up a bit... I've briefly tossed around the idea of combining my 4th grader in with my 7th grader just to simplify our day a bit. Obviously, I realize the material would be way too hard for him but I'm wondering if a few books from the library on his level to help flesh out the material would be do-able, or should I just get the 4th grade science and be done with it?

I'm probably making this out to be harder than it actually has to be.:tongue_smilie:

It is, however, my spiritual gift.:D

Edited by iamrachelle

My ds is using BJU life Science on DVD and LOVES it. I would NOT teach it on my own, however and totally think the DVD option is the best.

You dont need the investigation DvD separately...the dvd teacher (Mrs Vick is FABULOUS!) does all the investigations with them.

I would just teach the 4th grader myself, but def use the DVD for 7th :D

I like the idea of the 4th grader watching and you adding in living books for him. You could read the textbook to him as well and just not have him do the tests and other higher grade level work. You might could get Christian Kids Explore Biology and try to match up the topics with BJU.

Ds was in 2nd grade last year when dd did the Life Science course online, and he really enjoyed watching some of the lessons with his sister. I think Mrs. Vick is fabulous, too, so I just ordered 3rd grade science for ds during BJU's $99 special before Christmas. He starts it tomorrow.

Our plan is to use BJU Science DVDs for the remainder of our homeschooling years - which is from grades 5 up. We are currently using BJU DVDs for Biology, 8th Space & Earth, and Grade 5. They really enjoy their classes, and they are getting a lot more info than just reading the textbook. DS is preparing for the CLEP Biology exam using this class (which will earn him college credit).

If you can't use the DVDs for both grades, I would recommend using the DVDs for the older grades for sure. They are very interesting and truly college prep.

FWIW, a fellow homeschooling family used BJU DVDs for many classes, and when their son was in college, his comment was that college was easier than BJU.

The main reason to have your 4th grader do her own level of the BJU science is so she can work on the textbook skills (reading comprehension, worksheets, etc.). It's more valuable than it might seem, so I wouldn't skip it. It's all just a really fun year of the BJU science. You can make it pop with kits, puzzles from Timberdoodle, etc.

The main reason to have your 4th grader do her own level of the BJU science is so she can work on the textbook skills (reading comprehension, worksheets, etc.). It's more valuable than it might seem, so I wouldn't skip it. It's all just a really fun year of the BJU science. You can make it pop with kits, puzzles from Timberdoodle, etc.

I agree with OhElizabeth. My oldest is doing BJU Science 4, text and workbook and thoroughly enjoys it. It meets her where she is at. It practices the skills OhElizabeth mentioned. Reading a science book is MUCH different than reading a history book or a pleasure book, KWIM? We LOVE BJU Science in this house (have done all grades K-4 with great success and plan on continuing through high school or I'm thrown a curve ball :lol:).

From the research I've done (and I'm a maniac... making life complicated is also MY spiritual gift! :D), the investigations DVD is only needed if you don't intend to do the online/class/Mrs.Vick option. If you plan to just do the textbook and WB at home, I hear the investigations DVD has been a big hit with HSers. It helps show us how the lab was supposed to come out or gives you a chance to watch the lab in case you never got around to getting that specific material. As a PP stated, you don't need Investigations if you are opting for the online/DVD class with Mrs.Vick. BTW, in case you don't know, Mrs.Vick is one of the most beloved BJU teachers. She is a favorite of many students and families (again, my reading and research, not personal experience).

I hope my rambling has helped. 2 kids, 2 grades, 2 curriculums.

BTW, if you want to save some mula, you can find used BJU curriculum, current editions CHEAP online. Twice a year, www.mardel.com has a 20% off sale which is when I grab my BJU workbooks (sales are January (this Saturday Jan 7th,2012) and usually July.

HTH

Thank you for all of the wonderful responses, ladies.

Sewpeaceful, I've heard wonderful things about Mrs Vick and my DD is looking forward to having her for class. What I'm hearing you say is that the DVD with her for Life adds so much more to the class and would be beneficial to have.

Would you also recommend the DVD's for the 4th grade science as well or would he get what he needs (reading comp, etc) with me teaching the material?

ETA: I appreciate the tip on ordering from mardel this weekend... thank you!!

Edited by iamrachelle
I forgot to say "thanks" :-)

If you can afford it I recommend doing the DVD's for both grades. We love BJU dvd classes and we are very fond of the science in particular. I plan to use, at a minimum, the science for my younger son almost all the way through his schooling...like someone else said...unless I get thrown a curve ball.