Menu

Adding a great books lit and writing program to our history cycle

We use and love Truthquest history. I had planned many logic stage great book retellings for my children. But, my 7th grade daughter has amazed me in enjoying the real great books - some with audio and some plays just to read. I'm sorry now I didn't plan more to bring them alive to her. I have Sparksnotes saved on my laptop (which we don't use because I need to sit and filter some of the content with her), and I own Invitation to the Classics, Edith Hamiltion's The Greek Way and the Roman Way, and Heroes of the City of Man by Leithart. She is reading those on her own and getting some introductory info before reading the work itself. It feels piecemeal though and I'm hoping for more structure to our lit next year and planned writing assignments to correlate.

So, next year I think I should plan our lit to correspond with Medieval/Renaissance history. I really think Omnibus is overkill with how much history we cover in TQ. But these are the options I can think of:

1. Lighting Lit Medieval and a Shakespeare (1 semester each)

2. Smarr Medieval

3. Omnibus 2

Is there anything else out there? I am definately using TQ as my main history program so I'm not considering switching over to something like TOG. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by LNC

Based on what I see in the TQ Beginnings guide that I have, I also think Omnibus would be overkill with TQ. The Smarr Guides would work well. Greenleaf Press has a Medieval pack, and Leithart has a guide for Shakespeare plays, Brightest Heaven of Invention.

To pull everything together this year, take a look at the Memoria Press guides for The Iliad, The Odyssey, Aeneid, and Horatio at the Bridge.

Edited by 1Togo

...Leithart has a guide for Shakespeare plays, Brightest Heaven of Invention.

I wouldn't recommend using this book as your only guide to Shakespeare. Leithart picks ONE and only one theme from each play he discusses and works it to death. He makes Shakespeare seem one-dimensional and misses all of the richness that can be found in his plays.