Menu

CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science

Embassy

I'd been looking and looking for some kind of physical science textbook. What I had been using wasn't working. I needed something that walked me through the concepts a bit better. I was looking hard at CPO science textbooks and I finally chose CPO Physical, Earth, and Space science. The student edition arrived today and I am very happy. It looks like a perfect fit for my son. :thumbup1: Plus the teacher's edition has a list of living books for each part of the textbook so I will be doing the same topics with my younger son and using living books. Has anyone else used this? I tried doing a search on here, but came up empty for that particular curriculum.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd been looking and looking for some kind of physical science textbook. What I had been using wasn't working. I needed something that walked me through the concepts a bit better. I was looking hard at CPO science textbooks and I finally chose CPO Physical, Earth, and Space science. The student edition arrived today and I am very happy. It looks like a perfect fit for my son. :thumbup1: Plus the teacher's edition has a list of living books for each part of the textbook so I will be doing the same topics with my younger son and using living books. Has anyone else used this? I tried doing a search on here, but came up empty for that particular curriculum.

I would be interested to hear how Physical, Earth, Space works for you. We are using CPO Life Science this year and are happy with it. The living books suggested for various levels are a wonderful addition.

We are planning to use Physical, Earth, Space next year. My daughter has commented how much she enjoys science this year. The living books suggested in the TM have played a part in that.

I would love to hear your thoughts once you start the program. :bigear:

I would be interested to hear how Physical, Earth, Space works for you. We are using CPO Life Science this year and are happy with it. The living books suggested for various levels are a wonderful addition.

We are planning to use Physical, Earth, Space next year. My daughter has commented how much she enjoys science this year. The living books suggested in the TM have played a part in that.

I would love to hear your thoughts once you start the program. :bigear:

We are actually starting today...in a few minutes. I didn't use the living book recommendations when I planned out the first 3 chapters, but I suspect they will come in handy in the future. The library had some more age-appropriate books for my younger son that I will be using.

We are actually starting today...in a few minutes. I didn't use the living book recommendations when I planned out the first 3 chapters, but I suspect they will come in handy in the future. The library had some more age-appropriate books for my younger son that I will be using.

I hope it goes well for you. It took us a few lessons to find how to best use the program. Don't be discouraged if it takes a bit of time to find your way.

I find the teacher's edition useful. It has the answer keys for almost everything. (It doesn't include answers for the skills and practice sheets.)

You can view both the student and teacher's editions online, so you wouldn't necessarily have to purchase it.

The teacher's edition also has sample data for the experiments. Some of the experiments we don't do because of time/resource constraints, so we view and discuss the sample data.

I wouldn't say the print version of the teacher's edition is vital, but using it in some form certainly enhances the program and makes it more user friendly.

I can't find it now. :001_huh: I am so sorry!

I'm not sure if it's been removed or if I was confusing it with something else. We have the print version, but I thought I remembered looking at the online one several months ago. Maybe it was just the sample.

If the teacher's manual isn't available online I would order one. They are available relatively cheaply from time to time. It might just take some looking and waiting.

Again, my apologies! If I do find it online I will be sure to post it.

That's ok, thanks for looking. Do you have the regular version or the California Focus on... books? Do you know what the differences are? I found the CA student txts and the corresponding investigations books online in PDF to download, but I'm not sure what the differences are.

Thanks again!

I have the regular version.

Here's a thread that discusses the differences. I think there might be other threads as well.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200253

It's my understanding that the chapters are arranged differently in the two versions. For example, in the Focus version biomes have been moved from Life to Earth.

That is just what I've gathered from reading posts. I've not looked at the Focus version, so I don't know firsthand. I imagine either version would be fine.

Just to clear things up for any future readers;) I think you guys are talking about a different series of CPO textbooks. Physical, Earth, and Space Science is this one.

Right. We're talking about the Middle School book-- Life Science.

Physical, Earth and Space is late middle/ early high school, correct? (Or at least it's recommended for grades 8-10.)

Edited by Hilltop Academy

Physical, Earth and Space is high school, correct? (Or at least it's recommended for grades 8-10.)

Yes, that is what they recommend. Honestly, it doesn't look much more difficult than what I was able to ascertain from looking at the middle school books. It cost less overall so I went with the Physical, Earth, and Space one:tongue_smilie:

Honestly, it doesn't look much more difficult than what I was able to ascertain from looking at the middle school books. It cost less overall so I went with the Physical, Earth, and Space one:tongue_smilie:

LOL.

I was just going to ask about the difficulty of Physical, Earth, Space and why you chose that one. You answered in advance. ;)

Physical, Earth and Space is high school, correct? (Or at least it's recommended for grades 8-10.)

Yes, Physical, Earth and Space is one of their four grade 8-10 series. CPO really specializes in Physics, and all of their high school books are Physics or Physical Science. For 8-10 they also have Physics: A First Course (we're using that this year and loving it), Foundations of Physical Science and Foundations of Physical Science with Earth and Space.

Then Foundations of Physics is an upper-level Physics book for grades 10-12.

LOL.

I was just going to ask about the difficulty of Physical, Earth, Space and why you chose that one. You answered in advance. ;)

:001_smile: That and because it includes Earth Science which I had planned for next school year. It has a bunch of math, but nothing ds and I can't tackle together.