Menu

Talk to me about The Potters School

Pleased? Not so much? Rigorous? Average? Not even average? Favorite courses? Ones to avoid?

Do they offer any sort of way to place a student in the classes if you don't know quite where to put them? It seems you just pick a course, and with the student I'm looking for, I'm leery to do that because he is underperforming and I'm afraid it will be overwhelming for him.

Any other comments about it?

We are doing Classical Track this year. I would say they are rigorous courses, but not absurdly rigorous, if that makes sense. I like them. but they dp require LOTS of work.

They have tests that you have to take in order to get in most classes, so they won't place you unless they feel you are ready.

Watch those BE verbs, baby! LOL If you take an English course you will understand that statement.

If your student is underperforming I might start with just one Potters School class, or maybe two if HE picks the classes he is interested in taking.

I have found them to be a great place to really get a student to understand the requirements that will be expected of them in college as far as following directions and also the content of the classes. I feel confident that our dd will be at least on par, if not above, with college students when she does dual enrollment.

Thanks so much! I spent my "formative years" (LOL) in Arkansas, but we live in Colorado now (and have lived in lots of other places). Many of our family members still live there though.:001_smile:

I'm so glad to hear they have tests to place them!

I'm thinking about having him take health with them for 2nd semester.:D

• 11 months later...

Extremely bad experience.

In several bad ways.

Both from the teachers and the administration.

I do not recommend them at all.

Another friend had a mixed experience.

I recommend Art of Problem Solving for math.

My friend's son had a very good experience with Scholars Online

for other subjects.

Extremely bad experience.

In several bad ways.

Both from the teachers and the administration.

I do not recommend them at all.

Another friend had a mixed experience.

I recommend Art of Problem Solving for math.

My friend's son had a very good experience with Scholars Online

for other subjects.

The above just proves that experiences can differ quite a great deal. My dc have taken a total of 4 classes with Potter's school. Two were excellent, one was OK, and one was terrible. I think the best bet is to try and get reviews of a specific teacher that you might be interested in.

Also -- Scholars Online was a bust for us.

Brenda

My sons have taken a total 12 courses with Potter's School.

We have been pleased with every one except one really. And that one class really wasn't terrible, just a little boring.

I took the time to look up teachers and ask questions from other parents as to who the "best" teachers were. I think that was why every class was so successful. that is key...

Pm me if you need specific help.

I think their classes (at least the ones we took) prepare a student well for college. The "live" classes make the course more fun for the student too I think.

Also, at first, you will need to help the student get used to the system. It doesn't take long.

And in some classes you may need to be on hand to encourage. I wouldn't say it's just let the student be totally alone with it.

We have also done 3 years with Scholar's online math. Loved it too.

I was about to ask this very question. I had such an awful experience with NARHS for my son that I am considering an actual online program for you younger dd. TPS seems to be my favorite based on content of the classes she would take but it is hard to hear that at least one person had a terrible experience. My problem with NARHS was the principal, he was a piece of work. At one point he blamed the suicide of a student in his brick and mortar school for some poor customer service I was getting. On another occasion he told me I had lied to him about something his staff had promised me. When I forwarded him the email with the promise he did not apologize. I would not like to deal with someone like that again. Not for the amount of money I would be spending for TPS.

Ds.2 has taken English 1,2, and 3 at Potters School. I like the detailed feedback they give for all the writing assignments. I supplement the reading. It met our needs because writing is not my strength. Ds. 1 did their Grammar class which was excellent. The C.S. Lewis class is good too as far as the writing assignments go but ds. did not care for the discussions which he felt was very basic.

We have been very happy with TPS. We started dd English 2 9th, then Narnia and Advanced Comp for 11th. This year she is Creative Writing with janis Gaines and it is excellent. This extensive writing gave her a 730 in writing on the SAT last May. DD has also taken Spanish 2 with TPS. It is Bob Jones which is teriible, but ater taking it you can test into public school spanish 4. So it is plenty advanced. The Spanish conversations is IMO not an option. The kids both say it is really helpful. The other favorite of my dd is Economics with mr Rucker- he is simply the best.

Ds did English 2 in 8th, English 3 in 9th and is now doing Litertaure Survey. The writing classes are crazy with limiting be verbs and if you are trying to test it with no experience it can be difficult. DS is also in Spanish 1 and AutoCAD- which he abolutely LOVES!

We have been quite pleased with TPS, not perfect but always meets our needs. The English classes are more writing and grammar based. My kids go thru the big SAT books to ensure they will score high enough on the reading/literature section.

Kathy

We've done six courses with TPS, but all were at the JH level: Writer's Workshop (6th), English 1 (7th), English 2 (8th), JH French and JH Spanish were all excellent. JH Geography was TERRIBLE.

I've always been happy with the administration and tech side of things. The teaching is good, expectation are high, accountability is priceless.

• 6 months later...

I plan to sign my dd for some 8th grade classes this year.  Would really appriciate hearing some of the good teachers you have had for 8th grade classes.  Thinking of signing dd up for math, english, latin, and bible.  If anyone can recommend good teacher I would really appreciate the advice.

We've taken Writers Workshop, English 1, English 2, English 3, and Advanced Composition. I find the classes to be rigorous and quite a bit of work. I can recommend Mrs. Frederick for sure.

We haven't had any problems with tech issues. Most teachers respond promptly to emails.

My son took Aviation Science, Python, and Logo to Lego. I wasn't as impressed with the grading and administration of Python and Logo to Lego. The Aviation Science class was right up my son's alley. I'd recommend that one.

I've heard great things about the Photography, French, and CAD teachers.

Maybe if you ask about specific teachers, you might get a good response.

Looking to take:

Math (Algebra) with Sherry O' Hearn,

Latin with Isabella Leake,

English 2 with Courney Johnson,

Bible (Propositional Logic and Apologetics) with Samuel Gray,

and possibly Graphic Art Foundations:  Adobe Photoshop with Magdalena Lezama-Escalante. 

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing any experience with these teachers I would appreciate it.

• 8 months later...

We've done six courses with TPS, but all were at the JH level: Writer's Workshop (6th), English 1 (7th), English 2 (8th), JH French and JH Spanish were all excellent. JH Geography was TERRIBLE.

I've always been happy with the administration and tech side of things. The teaching is good, expectation are high, accountability is priceless.

Can you private message me or tell me why JH Geography was terrible and who taught it?  I have my son signed up for it next year, along with four other TPS classes.   Fro the most part, we have had a very good experience with TPS the last few years.  Thank you so much for your insight!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was also hoping to find out why the TPS Geography class didn't work out. I saw earlier posts from 2009/2010 (another forum within WTM) where parents/students seemed to love the class and then over the recent years I found more"negative" reviews on the Geography class. It appears that there was a change in instructor for the course?

Could you PLEASE PM me to let me know why the class was terrible. I was just about to sign up my daughter and would really like to find out some more info before I proceed.

That being said, anyone know of any good JH level Geography, History, & Civics online, interactive classes with teachers that meet at least 1x/week? Or have any input on the JH Geography class at TPS? PM is great too. :)

Thanks so much.